Chicago area TCH data collection thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 06:42 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Chicago area TCH data collection thread

Since there seemed to be some interest in Chicagoland about sharing local data, I thought I would start this thread for us. I know some of you have already posted in the original thread, so I copied the originals over here.

My apologies if I have offended anyone...

Originally Posted by Qslugs
Hey Chicago, howdy neighbor. Wazzup!

Hey I noticed you seem to be getting similar milage as me. My main commute is Roosevelt Rd, from Harlem ave all the way out to Glenn Ellyn. Occasionaly in the morning I jump on 290 to get me to work on time. My driving is no more than 10 miles over the speed limit. I dont floor the gas unless I need to jump on the highway when everyone is trying to pass as you are getting on the highway.

While on 290 I drive 55-65 mph I usually set the cruise on and hop in the middle lane. When on Roosevelt I usually drive 35-45 mph around the areas that have lots of lights (1st ave to Oak Brook), then I drive in the 55-65 mph mile range for that stretch of highway right before Oak Brook. After that I keep the car at about 35-45 for the remainder of my commute to work, since I can make all the lights through the 355 intersection if I time it just right.

On the warmer days I can make about 35 mpg (according to the car) on the way to work, during the last 3rd of my journey. Driving back home, the best I have gotten so far from my car is 40mpg which occured a few times rescently since it was warmer for a few days the other week. I usually hit that about 1/2 to 3/4 of my commute home.

It seems to me that when its been really cold, the milage has been deplorable. By really cold I mean 0.

Also, my commute is 13.5 miles each way. It takes approximately 30-40 min each way.

If I can think of anything else I will throw it out there.

Oh yeah, I park outside in an uncovered spot.

And please ignore bad grammar and spelling, lots to type.
Originally Posted by pandc
Chicago north suburbs here...Mundelein...I travel 12 miles to works on rt 83 and milwaukee ave...average mpg this winter during the really cold months has been about 26-27 mpg.....
Originally Posted by Qslugs
Well one conselation is that everyones gas miliage goes down in winter time

Old 03-25-2007, 06:48 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Chicago area TCH data collection thread

My commute is from Wheaton to the Midway Airport area. It's about 35 miles one way. You don't want to know how long it takes!!

Anyway, I got my TCH in January, and was getting super-crappy mileage (24-26 mpg), because it was so cold, and my car sits outside. Now that it is warming up, I'm getting much better mileage. Right now, I've driven 485 miles on my tank, and the NAV is showing about 20 miles left before empty. I'd be extremely happy to get to 500 miles on one tank, given the driving style I have to employ to get to/from work.

Do any of you have a sunroof? If so, have you been able to use it enough to judge what effect it has on mileage when it's open? I've only been able to open mine about 3 times so far, but never long enough to make a difference one way or another.

Cheers!

Bob

Old 03-26-2007, 12:05 AM
Active Enthusiast

Well I don't specifically drive like a grandma, and I know my car was able to get 525.8 miles (14.302 gallons) from the last tank. Which is 36.76 mpg. It's been way warmer recently and I think that is key. From my previous post, when it was colder, my millage sucked something awful. A bit better than what you are stating, but not anywhere near EPA mpg.

With regards to the sunroof, I don't think the sunroof should be cutting down your millage by that much, who knows though. I have the base hybrid model. I was always told any weight on the outside of the car can effect performance, be it heavy rims or sunroof glass. I don't think that is the case with your car though.

My only thought about your millage, are you trying to get the car to operate using the electric motor as much as possible? Earlier tonight when coming back from seeing a show in downtown Chicago, my wife was driving. She has driven the car only a handful of times. We were discussing that the car was stating its tank average at 41.4 which I thought was pretty sweet However she mentioned, that will be coming to an end since she was driving. She does not drive it enough to know when the car is going to be using electricity or not. She more or less drives it the way she drove all our other cars, paying no attention to when the car is using what. She will eventually figure it out when she drives the car more.

Perhaps you will be seeing better millage now that spring has arrived.

Since its been a bit warmer its been easier to hit 40+ mpg sooner in my commute so I know its possible. I also don't feel like Ive been doing anything remarkably different than a normal car is capable of doing. And since my commute is more or less all the way down Roosevelt and back, I can get the car to run a good chunk of the commute using the electric engine.

One suggestion, perhaps you are breaking too much. Be sure to watch what the lights are doing way ahead, roll as much as possible. Make sure you leave enough room between you and the people ahead of you, so you break as infrequently as possible. Basicly if you arent tailgating, you shouldnt have much of a problem.

I can literally go for miles, only having to break if someone cuts directly in front of me, or if I need to come to a complete stop. And I do this in chicagoland traffic.

Old 03-26-2007, 12:16 PM
Enthusiast

My commute is from Big Rock to the Bensenville area. It's about 50 miles one way.

In winter, the worst milage I saw was 36 mpg. Since the last thaw a couple of weeks ago I have been consistantly hitting 44 mpg. Lots of highway miles here. Set the cruise at 55 and go.

I have the sunroof but it is rarely used.

The last 4 to 5 miles of my commute each way are under 40 and almost all battery. This helps immensely. I park in a garage at night. My commute is at odd hours so the traffic isn't really a problem. Not much stop and go.

For those with shorter trips, I can't really see you getting this type of milage ever. It takes me about half of my trip to make up what is lost on the start up and warm up periods.

I couldn't be happier with this car.

Old 03-26-2007, 04:00 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by vike86

I couldn't be happier with this car.
Me neither.