chutter while cold starting

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 11:37 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: chutter while cold starting

Do you use Top Tier Gasoline? Ever since I started using it in my Prius and now my Camry, I have not had the chutter happen. You can read more about it at:

http://www.toptiergas.com/index.html

Regards,

Larry

Old 02-07-2007, 11:44 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bigsk8r
Do you use Top Tier Gasoline? Ever since I started using it in my Prius and now my Camry, I have not had the chutter happen. You can read more about it at:

http://www.toptiergas.com/index.html

Regards,

Larry
I was surprised to not see Exxon on the list of retailers.

Old 01-07-2008, 09:38 AM
Enthusiast
Question Re: chutter while cold starting

Originally Posted by bluepointtch
my tch "chutters" from time to time during coldstarts. I've since put the car in the garage (not heated) and its still happening. does any one else have this problem? i'm still getting used to the idling sounds while warming up, overrevving and lower rpm's, but the chutter worries me
only have 8100 KMs on it
Has anyone else noticed this rough engine noise problem? This happens randomly during winter months when the car is started in the morning as the ICE kicks in the first time.

Anyone aware of a fix for this problem?

Old 01-07-2008, 04:58 PM
Enthusiast

What the devil is a "chutter"?? I've had my TCH since 09/2007. Never had a strange noise when starting in cold or warm weather. Had it in North Bay last winter and the temp was minus 35C. The car was outside in the cold. The only thing different was when I pressed the multi display button, it took about 20 seconds for the message or function to change/appear. After the warm up, everything was fine.

Keith

Old 01-07-2008, 06:25 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Roger7
Has anyone else noticed this rough engine noise problem? This happens randomly during winter months when the car is started in the morning as the ICE kicks in the first time.

Maybe the crankshaft trying to cuta path thru the frozen dyno oil lol!!!

Old 01-07-2008, 06:27 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Roger7

Old 01-07-2008, 06:56 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by keithet
What the devil is a "chutter"?? I've had my TCH since 09/2007. Never had a strange noise when starting in cold or warm weather. Had it in North Bay last winter and the temp was minus 35C. The car was outside in the cold. The only thing different was when I pressed the multi display button, it took about 20 seconds for the message or function to change/appear. After the warm up, everything was fine.

Keith
I believe the OP really meant shudder.

I recently had the the ICE shudder quite violently when started after sitting overnight in an unheated garage when outside temperatures were around -18C (0F) and the car was not plugged in.

It has only done it this once in the 14 months I've owned the vehicle.

Old 01-08-2008, 08:17 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sooty
I believe the OP really meant shudder.

I recently had the the ICE shudder quite violently when started after sitting overnight in an unheated garage when outside temperatures were around -18C (0F) and the car was not plugged in.

It has only done it this once in the 14 months I've owned the vehicle.
Thanks for your comments folks. I have experienced this engine shudder 5 or 6 times already in winter months. Last time I reported it to the dealer and they said they can not do anything as they could not replicate the shudder.

I am planning to go back to dealer again next week for this problem. If anyone is aware of a fix or TSB it will greatly help my case at the dealer.

Old 01-08-2008, 09:44 AM
SPL
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Roger7 — Like Sooty, I've only had this "shudder" a couple of times in the eighteen months I've owned my TCH. I wonder whether it might have been caused by some water in the gasoline? Perhaps try changing your gasoline and see if this stops it, or add one can of gas-line antifreeze (ethanol) to the gas tank and see if this helps. Let us know! By the way, this has been discussed before in this forum, but I don't recall which thread.

Stan

Old 01-08-2008, 07:21 PM
Active Enthusiast

Mine has done it 2 times. Both times the temps were in the 10-20F range. Seemed completely random, but concerning nonetheless. I got used to the quiet start!

My car is due for service, I'll probably mention it to them to see the reaction.

Quick Reply: chutter while cold starting

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands