Cloth vs. Leather

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 10:08 AM
Enthusiast
Default Cloth vs. Leather

I'm all set to get a TCH and have one last stumbling block: cloth vs. leather. Except for some very rare exceptions, it appears the cars only come base model or fully loaded. Based on all the negatives I've read, I don't feel like paying for the nav system and I can exist without the sunroof. Only option I'm really stuck on is the leather, because a) I think it looks better and b) leather should be easier to clean when I have kids in the near future. But, for the sake of saving a few thousand on the price, I'm about to give up and go with the cloth.

So the question is, how do people feel about their cloth seats? How do you feel about the leather? Have spills on the cloth been hard to take care of or surprisingly easy to clean? Any gripes against the leather?

And the last variable, has anybody done aftermarket leather? Problems? Suggestions?

Old 07-21-2006, 10:29 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Cloth vs. Leather

I have a base Camry. Leather is definitely easier to clean up. I'm wondering if you could spray the fabric with a Fabri-Coate or Scotchguard. As far as spills on the fabric goes - no one enters my car with food.

I have leather on my 10 year old Explorer and I have to admit it doesn't look all that great after that time. It looks all cracked. If you don't spill on fabric I think it may hold up better.

I know there's been some threads about after-market leather. The price was less than from the factory and there were more color options.

Old 07-21-2006, 11:05 AM
Enthusiast

I went with a loaded TCH due to availability and, despite some of the negative reviews I've seen on this site, I've found the NAV system to be remarkably intuitive and accurate. The interface is a breeze.

As for the seats, the leather is exceptionally comfortable and is very easy to clean.

So that's my two cents, but I'm sure whatever you choose, you'll be happy with your TCH .

Old 07-21-2006, 11:17 AM
Too Smug

I've have cloth and would have preferred leather but my wife and son vetoed that. The cloth (grey ash) is good looking and has been easy to keep clean (a few smudges have wiped right off). I, personally, wouldn't agonize over the decision. You'll soon get accustomed to whatever covering you've chosen and neither will detract from your enjoyment of the car, which is sensational, no matter how its equipped.

Good Luck!

Old 07-21-2006, 11:42 AM
it's just a car...

There are actually three (3) options.
1. Cloth
2. Factory leather (includes seat heaters & power passenger seat)
3. Aftermarket leather

We did not want the NAV & moonroof either.
We took delivery of our TCH with cloth and had the leather installed by Cole Brothers in Gallatin, TN for $995 incl. tax.

We do not have seat heaters or power passenger seats, but we did get to select our leather from a wide range of colors.

We chose to have the door inserts match the doors and the seat leather to match the dashboard.

Note: Have your dealer give you the name of your regional installer to be sure they are factory approved.

Old 07-21-2006, 03:55 PM
Enthusiast

I have the factory leather. Looks great. However, I quickly cover it with velour seat cover hoping this would protect the leather from the elements and my son.

Old 07-21-2006, 06:33 PM
Active Enthusiast

Go with cloth and save the money. Get what you want for now. Don't worry about the future kids. I've raised kids with both. Puke ruins perforated leather almost as easily as it does cloth. I use(d) folded towels under car seats and all weather mats. It handles spills, crumbs, mud etc. In a pinch you can use the towels to wipe up what ever mess as well.
My only other comment is that leather isn't great in the hotter climates.

Old 07-21-2006, 07:05 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

My four year old daughter went marching through an old, wet campfire pit, then jumped into our new TCH, grinding a wet, black ashy goo into the cloth seats. The car was literally two weeks old! Argh! Four year old girl for sale!

I was able to remove every last bit of ash and dirt from the seat by rubbing gently with a clean toothbrush, a trick my Father in Law taught me. I was impressed.

I haven't tried grape juice yet, or a Starbucks Venti rasberry mocha. It's only a matter of time...

Old 07-21-2006, 07:58 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bernt
I'm all set to get a TCH and have one last stumbling block: cloth vs. leather. Except for some very rare exceptions, it appears the cars only come base model or fully loaded. Based on all the negatives I've read, I don't feel like paying for the nav system and I can exist without the sunroof. Only option I'm really stuck on is the leather, because a) I think it looks better and b) leather should be easier to clean when I have kids in the near future. But, for the sake of saving a few thousand on the price, I'm about to give up and go with the cloth.

So the question is, how do people feel about their cloth seats? How do you feel about the leather? Have spills on the cloth been hard to take care of or surprisingly easy to clean? Any gripes against the leather?

And the last variable, has anybody done aftermarket leather? Problems? Suggestions?
In the SE Se Toyota puts leather on at the port without loading up the car, it is decent. When I was looking at other MFG cars they seemed to refer to katskin http://www.katzkin.com and the samples seems good quality.

Old 07-21-2006, 08:08 PM
Active Enthusiast

It should be noted, too, that the cloth used in the TCH is REALLY nice. It has a soft, silky feel to it. Its not like the cloth seats that were in my other cars.

I, too wanted leather, but I wasn't going to find a car with leather and a sunroof but not NAV. I was lucky enough to find one just with a sunroof so I grabbed it. The bisque seats, with the contrasting upper dash color and the red exterior look really good.

Plus, frankly, though I like the look of leather...I park my car outside all day in the hot DC summers at work. Bottom line is that when you get into that car after sitting in the sun, and you sit in those leather seats...you're going to have a really hot ***, even if you're a 400 pound ugly dude.

Quick Reply: Cloth vs. Leather

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands