Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Toyota Camry Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/)
-   -   coastal lockpick2 out for camry dvd input screen unlocked (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/coastal-lockpick2-out-camry-dvd-input-screen-unlocked-21538/)

bkushner 04-17-2009 06:07 PM

coastal lockpick2 out for camry dvd input screen unlocked

http://www.coastaletech.com/lockpick2.htm

Check it out.

bkushner 05-03-2009 07:15 PM

Re: coastal lockpick2 out for camry dvd input screen unlocked

hooked it up. All screens unlocked on nav. Video input to nav screen. Easy install.

Hal A. Pino 05-04-2009 12:11 PM

Does it unlock the 10 digit limitation of radio song titles also (specifically sirius)?

How does it install? Do you have to remove the nav unit?

Thanks in advance.

Hal (Ron)

bkushner 05-04-2009 12:37 PM

It attaches to back of the nav unit, plug and play. I don't know about the Sirius question, I can check when I get home in the manual they supplied.

Hal A. Pino 05-04-2009 12:40 PM

Does plug-n-play mean you don't have to remove the nav unit? Sorry, it is not clear to me from your answer.

Hal

bkushner 05-04-2009 12:55 PM

Well, I said you have to attach it to the back of the nav unit. If you can do that without removing it, you are a better man than I.

spgdxb 05-04-2009 04:47 PM

The website says we can have CD or DVD's in the changer!! I never knew I could put DVD's in there? There was never an option to buy a DVD changer in the '07!?

bkushner 05-04-2009 04:52 PM

This head unit is used by other models with that option. If someone can tell me how to post pictures I'll show some.

spgdxb 05-04-2009 04:58 PM

If you click on "Post Reply" (don't use the Quick Reply text box), it will open another window which will have all the icons you see on MS-Word. You can click on the "Clip" icon as you normally do in Word.

bkushner 05-04-2009 05:27 PM

5 Attachment(s)
here are some pics hopefully

brentw59 05-05-2009 01:29 AM

Ok just for clarification the CD changer portion of the deck will now except DVDs after it has the added lockpick2 unit. So you could put 4 dvds in the changer instead of CDS?

bkushner 05-05-2009 06:12 PM

who told you that?

zebrajeb 05-05-2009 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by bkushner (Post 202485)
hooked it up. All screens unlocked on nav. Video input to nav screen. Easy install.

How "easy?" I'd love one for my 2007 TCH but don't have a clue how to remove the nav unit or get behind it. Are instructions available online?

Thanks

John

bkushner 05-05-2009 08:33 PM

search on here for "camrea" for procedure for removal of nav

bkushner 05-05-2009 08:38 PM

easy once you've done the camera

brentw59 05-05-2009 11:41 PM

No one told me the cd changer could be unlocked to play dvds. I was just asking the question because from what I had read in the previous post thats what it sounded like you were able to do. So I was asking if it was possible with the lockpick2 installed to put dvds in the changer. Or will it only work in the NAV slot.

mikieboyblue 05-06-2009 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by brentw59 (Post 202628)
No one told me the cd changer could be unlocked to play dvds. I was just asking the question because from what I had read in the previous post thats what it sounded like you were able to do. So I was asking if it was possible with the lockpick2 installed to put dvds in the changer. Or will it only work in the NAV slot.

Yes, there was a previous post that made it sound like you could put DVDs in the CD changer slot. Has anyone actually installed this device on the TCH? If so, what additional equipment (if any) is required to play DVDs on the NAV screen?

In addition, the images in a prior post, were those from the Coastal or from a user who installed the unit? If from a user, how did you play there DVD?

Lets get this clarified before we spin too far out of control.

Thanks!

ga20646 05-06-2009 08:58 PM

I'm confused. Did you get the 2AV or the 2WF?

jkg51781 05-08-2009 12:39 PM

Does the LockPick2 remove the requirement to press I Agree?

brentw59 05-08-2009 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by spgdxb (Post 202551)
The website says we can have CD or DVD's in the changer!! I never knew I could put DVD's in there? There was never an option to buy a DVD changer in the '07!?

Hey bkushner I know you have the lockpick2 installed. I have a simple question for ya. There are 2 slots to install discs into behind the screen. The top one is for Music and the Bottom one is for the NAV disc. I'm curious with the lockpick2 installed are you able to put DVDS into the slot were you would normaly put Music. Or are you only able to put DVDS into the slot were the NAV disc goes.

I know what the owners manual says but I was curious if the lockpick2 unlocks the stereo so your able to place DVDS into the top audio slot.

Smilin' Jack 05-10-2009 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by brentw59 (Post 202818)
Hey bkushner I know you have the lockpick2 installed. I have a simple question for ya. There are 2 slots to install discs into behind the screen. The top one is for Music and the Bottom one is for the NAV disc. I'm curious with the lockpick2 installed are you able to put DVDS into the slot were you would normaly put Music. Or are you only able to put DVDS into the slot were the NAV disc goes.

I know what the owners manual says but I was curious if the lockpick2 unlocks the stereo so your able to place DVDS into the top audio slot.

I second that question.

It sure would be nice to be able to load up 6 DVD's full of mp3 music files !

bkushner 05-10-2009 05:59 PM

I don't know about the mp3 part as I don't use cd's or dvd's for that. The bottom slot is for the dvd map and that won't change. The top is audio and i don't know if the unit can play mp3's or not. The lockpick unlocks all functions that are speed sensitive and also gives you a video input that you can hhok up an ipod or dvd player to and you can watch video while in motion. You can also activate your camera while in forward motion.

jpellech 05-11-2009 10:22 AM

Hi, my name is Jon Pellechia and I'm new to this forum. Just picked up a new 2009 Camry Hybrid with DVD navigation. I took a chance and ordered the Lockpick2 today. Should get it installed when I also get my XM receiver. I'll keep everyone up to date on the how the install goes.

brentw59 05-11-2009 07:39 PM

I got an 09 camry 3 weeks ago. I also have the factory NAV. Yeah the car plays mp3 cds I have 4 loaded up right now. I will stay tuned for your findings jpellech. Hey bkushner can you try something out if you get a chance. Can you try to put a dvd in the music slot of your stereo and see what happens. See if the DVD starts playing. In my 08 scion I had the stock NAV and you could put a dvd in the map slot and with the car in park and the E-Brake pulled the dvd would play just fine if you started driving down the street the screen would go black. I'm guessing its the same thing on this car but it would be cool if the 4 disc changer was able to play mp3 dvds and regular dvds.

bkushner 05-11-2009 07:52 PM

No, I inserted a dvd into nav slot, unable to get a picture from it.

BOFH 05-12-2009 01:24 PM

You also cannot burn MP3s to a DVD and play them in the TCH.

jpellech 05-13-2009 05:29 AM

I think it may be worth the $200 just to get a good review of this product and some straight answers. My lockpick2 should arrive tomorrow but it may be a few days until i can install it (I've got a newborn girl in the house who takes some time away from my other interests...)

green305 05-13-2009 12:47 PM

jpellech, I am looking forward to your comments. I just picked up my 09 Camry Hybrid w/Nav today and I am considering purchasing the lockpick system. I also have a baby in the house so I can sympathize with your time constraints.

ga20646 05-13-2009 12:52 PM

Mine came in today. I'll be installing it tomorrow.

ga20646 05-13-2009 09:25 PM

I decided to install mine tonight. It only took about 30 minutes but I've removed the radio before to install a Vaistech Ipod adapter. The lockpick is easy to install by removing existing plugs from the back of the NAV screen and inserting the keyed plugs from the Lockpick harness. The removed plugs then are inserted into the keyed inline receptables on the harness. It's impossible to plug something incorrectly.

The lockpick adds a DVD mode to the radio which can be accessed with the Disc/AUX button. The harness has three female RCA connectors which can be used connect to an external DVD player or other video device. One yellow composite video cable and a left and right channel audio connector. You cannot use the map DVD player to play a movie and the CD changer will not accept DVD's. You must use an external device. I tested with an external DVD player, the picture and sound were both very good.

The lockpick also unlocks everything that is normally locked while in motion but you have to activate it everytime you want to unblock something. For instance, if you hit destination and see the blocked address input function, you hit the the radio power button quickly twice (or track up on the steering wheel) and it's unlocked. It will stay unlocked as long as you search or are inputting an address but as soon as you hit Guide, it automatically locks again. The same for bluetooth dialing, as soon as you finish dialing the number, it locks again.

The reason for this is that the anytime the lockpick is in unlock mode, map tracking is paused. So if you're watching a DVD (or other video), you can't use the GPS at the same time. Also, when you change back to locked mode, it takes about 5-10 seconds for the GPS to pinpoint your exact location again. I'm not sure I'm crazy about it after this discovery. I thought it would just unlock everything all of the time.

I'm not sure if it does anything about the "I agree" screen because my Vaistech device already solved that issue.

I'm going to mess around with it some more tomorrow and see if I notice anything else.

I uploaded a few pics...I hope.

http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/3767/pic1plg.jpg
http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/1524/pic2ebg.jpg
http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/3774/pic3ykt.jpg

jpellech 05-14-2009 05:49 AM

ga20646, what year Camry do you have? Good review. Sounds like a little bit of false advertising on Lockpicks part. Still, I think it will be handy to have the ability to unlock bluetooth dialing at times and address inputs. I don't intend on using an external dvd player but maybe I'll run an aux wire with 3 RCA inputs just in case I was to hook up a portable dvd player. So, the dvd player unlocking is strictly for those with headrest dvd players, or so it sounds.

The real question is...is this all worth $200?

jpellech 05-14-2009 05:51 AM

Maybe i should have asked, what version of Navigation software do you have, not what year your Camry is, or does this even matter?

green305 05-14-2009 06:01 AM

ga20646, thanks for the write-up. Like jpellech, I am wondering how valuable this product is now that I know it does not permanently unlock these features. I think I will wait to decide about purchasing this product until a few more people comment on this thread with their experiences.

nyceshirtz 05-14-2009 06:11 AM

I installed a similar product to the locpick2 for about $175. I use the 8.1 map version with the 5.1 kwi file to unlock all functions. it only requires the pressing of 8 buttons(map,dest,volume,volume corners(4times),overide) each time i start the car. not a big deal to unlock all of the functions; i.e.s phone, dest, etc...

jpellech 05-14-2009 06:14 AM

8 buttons, the only button I want to hit is the power button, but I guess there's no perfect solution.

ga20646 05-14-2009 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by jpellech (Post 203094)
ga20646, what year Camry do you have? Good review. Sounds like a little bit of false advertising on Lockpicks part. Still, I think it will be handy to have the ability to unlock bluetooth dialing at times and address inputs. I don't intend on using an external dvd player but maybe I'll run an aux wire with 3 RCA inputs just in case I was to hook up a portable dvd player. So, the dvd player unlocking is strictly for those with headrest dvd players, or so it sounds.

The real question is...is this all worth $200?

I have a 2007 Camry Hybrid and I use the 8.1 map version with the 5.1 kwi file.

bkushner 05-14-2009 06:53 PM

No false advertising. It unlocks the nav. Turning off and on the power button unblocks all functions. I'm very happy with it. If you don't want the I agree screen, don't use the 5.1 kwi mod. I'm not sure what else there is to add.You can connect an ipod for video as well. The 10 minutes it takes to get out of my work parkade, i watch part of a tv show or movie. Great fun.

green305 05-15-2009 06:10 AM

bkushner, how does the ipod video work with the lockpick? Can you just connect your ipod to the aux jack? Or, is there extra wiring necessary for video?

ga20646 05-15-2009 06:18 AM

I found a bug with this thing. It looks like if you travel more than 10 miles or so in unlocked mode (which you can do if you're watching video), the map will never be able to recover your position. The only way I could get the map to figure out my position again was to do a recalibrate, which was a pain. It would be even more difficult trying to do it in an unfamiliar area.

I think I'm going to return the lockpick2 and get my money back. For me personally, it's much easier to use the 8 button unlock with the 5.1 KWI mod and I can live without having video capabilities. I would probably end up rear-ending someone eventually anyway.

green305 05-15-2009 06:21 AM

ga20646, thanks for all the information you are providing on this product. I just got my TCH this week and after reading your review I think I will probably go with the 5.1kwi and 8 button unlock option as well.