Cruise contol

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 06:31 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Cruise contol

Does anyone else have problems with their cruise control? I can set mine and when I go down hill, the cruise control won't maintain the set speed. Sometimes the car will gain up to 5 mph. When I get to the bottom of the hill, it will take it a couple of seconds before it re-engages and takes the car back to the set speed. My son's Chrysler will keep the set speed within 1-2 mpgs all the time. Just wondered if this was normal for the TCH.

Old 08-26-2009, 07:27 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Cruise contol

I suspect it is because the TCH does not have engine braking unless you put it into 'B' mode. Cruise control only adjusts the accelerator, it will not brake the car if it goes faster than the set speed.

Old 08-26-2009, 07:32 PM
Active Enthusiast

Ok, that makes sense. Thanks!

Old 08-26-2009, 07:47 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I have set my cruise control to 60 mph on a 3 mile long almost straight mountain downgrade. The car coast on up 85 mph, way above the set speed. Like you say, the cruise took over once it was back down to 60 mph.

Like BOFH said, it's up to you to apply the brakes on any hills if needed. Any braking would drop your cruise setting.

Last edited by rburt07; 08-26-2009 at 07:53 PM.
Old 08-27-2009, 06:50 AM

I understand what the Frank is saying. I once drove a Chrysler rental car on a vacation, and it would actually downshift to a lower gear by itself while using cruise control to maintain the set speed on long downgrades. This was sometimes annoying, as the sorrounding traffic was speeding up with the hill, and I was becoming slower than the flow of traffic.

Old 08-27-2009, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by jbollt
...would ...downshift to a lower gear by itself while using cruise control to maintain the set speed on long downgrades. This was sometimes annoying, as the sorrounding traffic was speeding up with the hill, and I was becoming slower than the flow of traffic.
Cruise control has a 'coast' setting (override cruise control and let the car roll normally) for these instances.
Usually, the control stick is a four way control: quick movement up, quick down, long up, long down. I believe quick down enters coast mode and quick up resumes the contolled speed.