Cruise Range? Does not seem to add up!

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2006, 12:56 PM
Enthusiast
Default Cruise Range? Does not seem to add up!

Bought my TCH two weeks ago and I like the car very much. But with every new car I have owned it takes some getting used to the "quirks" especially if you change manufactures.

I am still on my first tank of gas and trying my very best to beat or meet the EPA MPG. As I get close to the end of the tank and look at the ODO/Trip plus the Cruise Range remaining they seem to add up to an average or total substantially less than it should be.

Can someone who has put a few more miles and a few more tanks on their car give me an idea of what the computer estimated “Cruise Range” is really showing me? I owned a VW Touareg before this and the computer was always very optimistic until the end, or the last 70 miles then I ran out of gas very quickly. But the TCH seems to be showing a pessimistic amount remaining.

I currently have 420 miles on tank, cruise range showing 120 miles and I am averaging 39.0 MPG on my first tank. I should get over 650 miles per tank at 39.0 MPG if I drove until I run out . So I should be able to refill after 600 miles on the tank at the very least.

Thanks in advance.

K-Fack

Old 07-07-2006, 01:02 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Cruise Range? Does not seem to add up!

Cruise range goes to ZERO on my TCH at about 3 to 4 gallons left in the tank. I saw this in all the tanks which I ran low. One tank was REALLY scaring me, but I drove about 85 miles with the ZERO miles display.

Old 07-07-2006, 01:57 PM
HSD Organic Interface

Yup, I'd say about 3 gallons is left when range hits "0".

Old 07-07-2006, 04:33 PM

I ran my second tank down to 0 miles to empty and filled up about a mile after hitting 0. The gas gauge was just touching the bar next to the E and the orange low fuel gas pump light had been light for the past 30 miles.

The car took 14.4 gallons to fill up, and had 624 miles on the tank (topped it off with a second click) at the same pump I gassed up with the previous time. I calculated 43mpg for the tank. I had about 2.8 gallons left in the tank - plenty of reserve fuel!

Old 07-07-2006, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by nash
I ran my second tank down to 0 miles to empty and filled up about a mile after hitting 0. The gas gauge was just touching the bar next to the E and the orange low fuel gas pump light had been light for the past 30 miles.

The car took 14.4 gallons to fill up, and had 624 miles on the tank (topped it off with a second click) at the same pump I gassed up with the previous time. I calculated 43mpg for the tank. I had about 2.8 gallons left in the tank - plenty of reserve fuel!
Wow - are you saying that you could have gone 744 miles on that tank had you maintained 43mpg for that last 2.8 gallons?

Old 07-08-2006, 07:20 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks for all the information. I figured it had to be very conservitive. I will estimate about 70-80 miles remaining when the Cruise Range is at "0".

Nash - you must do alot of HWY driving, I can only get over 40 on the HWY. I do wish the ECO gauge would show more than 41-42 MPG. I have had a couple of short HWY trips, 30-40 miles, and I know that I must have averaged closer to 50 MPG, but know way to tell for sure.