Cruising range

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 05:01 PM
Enthusiast
Default Cruising range

I have had my TCH for over a year now. The cruising range shown on my first tank of gas was 571. Now it shows 505 after I fill up. Anyone find that the cruising range is not accurate? I am averaging 35 MPG. so it seems it should show ~580. Any thoughts?

Old 08-08-2007, 05:58 PM
Happy 07 TCH Owner
Default Re: Cruising range

I think the 505 is about right. The TCH leaves about 2 to 3 gallons in reserve. It does not calculate range using the reserve, but I could be wrong.

Last edited by David Price; 08-08-2007 at 06:33 PM.
Old 08-08-2007, 08:55 PM
Active Enthusiast
Arrow Re: Cruising range

Originally Posted by Noni
I have had my TCH for over a year now. The cruising range shown on my first tank of gas was 571. Now it shows 505 after I fill up. Anyone find that the cruising range is not accurate? I am averaging 35 MPG. so it seems it should show ~580. Any thoughts?

The cruising range is to empty at which time there is still nearly 3 gallons left. Empty on my car is consistently 14.5 gallons. If you are averaging 35 mpg, 505 is accurate. I normally drive 60 miles after I hit empty and still have gas left.

You will also see your range go up and down as your mileage increases or decreases and it is also dependant upon what you did on your last tank. Overall, I'm impressed with how accurate it is.

Old 08-09-2007, 01:41 PM
Old Boomer Techie
Post Re: Cruising range

Cruising range can also be distorted by how you end each refulling event. I have found that the computer ignores fuel "topoff" above a certain point which is not necessarily the gas pump shutoff point, and as a result, the first part of the range calculation tends to read low because the tank is still "full" as far as the electronics are concerned. It gradually adjusts itself once the tank level is in the sense range of the system.

The same situation initially ignores any "topping off" after the first fuel shutoff. I usually do an additional topoff after the first shutoff to a point that I have predetermined for the fuel nozzle in order to have a consistent tank full quantity.

Old 08-10-2007, 05:06 AM
Active Enthusiast
Red face Re: Cruising range

I usually fill up at the same pump and station. I have found that after the auto shutoff, I can top off with 2 gals. usually. Your're right about the TCH computer doesn't count the topped off gas.

Old 08-10-2007, 11:53 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by freeagn
I usually fill up at the same pump and station. I have found that after the auto shutoff, I can top off with 2 gals. usually. Your're right about the TCH computer doesn't count the topped off gas.
Please reconsider topping off your tanks. It's not a good idea: http://www.epa.gov/donttopoff/.

Old 08-10-2007, 12:07 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

For years I have learned to put the nozzle on low and once it auto shuts off, thats it. I place the nozzle back on the pump. It did take me a while to find a level drive in front of a pump that had a good brand of gas. I read that if you overfill you can get gas in the charcoal canister thats under the hood. I forget its purpose but I would rather to keep it dry as its designed. I have had a few times over the years that the auto shutoff nozzle would not work. Then gas running down the side of the car.

Old 08-18-2007, 07:44 PM
Recent Hybrid convert

Originally Posted by FastMover
Cruising range can also be distorted by how you end each refulling event. I have found that the computer ignores fuel "topoff" above a certain point which is not necessarily the gas pump shutoff point, and as a result, the first part of the range calculation tends to read low because the tank is still "full" as far as the electronics are concerned. It gradually adjusts itself once the tank level is in the sense range of the system.
Bob, thanks for that piece of info! After 20+ tanks and not seeing my Initial Cruising Range adjust itself any higher as of late (although I consistently get more than what it indicated, and although the Cruising Range countdown DID adjust itself to a more "reasonable" figure after about 100 miles or so) I thought my MFD was just defective... Now I know it's just my own doing, i.e. I'm one of those who always "tops off" in order to get consistent MPG calculations (see https://www.greenhybrid.com/compare/.../car/3890.html, it's a pretty straight line)