Dealer out joy riding in my car?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 09:47 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Dealer out joy riding in my car?

Originally Posted by lovekills
Now this is really interesting. Are you still with them?
Yes, but they now give me extras and special treatment.

Old 06-02-2007, 11:10 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Arrow Re: Dealer out joy riding in my car?

Suppose the dealer did the fix on your console, and then drove your car thoroughly to make sure he cured the problem? I would be tempted to praise the dealer for a strong commitment to service excellence rather than to conclude that he was joy riding in your car. After all, when he is surrounded all day by new and used cars, why would he get a thrill from putting miles on your car? To have a engine running for 20 minutes at a dealer is no big deal, and from the original post it's not clear whether that was time spent idling in the service bay or on the road. Yet everyone is eager to jump to conclusions!?! I vote to give the dealer a break, and assume he was doing exactly what a good service department should do.

Old 06-02-2007, 03:21 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Dealer out joy riding in my car?

I called and asked about it but didn't raise too much of a fuss. They claimed that it was probably test driven to find the squeak and then another drive to ensure that it was gone. It was not idling all of that time. The bars on the consumption screen indicated that they were driving pretty aggressively as they barely ever got above 20 mpg for the 25 minutes it was driven. I backed out the mileage and discovered that they put on 18 miles. Seems like a lot to look for the squeak but I guess this time I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. The next time I'll turn on the navigation tracking so that I can see where they take it.