Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Toyota Camry Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/)
-   -   Disabling TRAC and VSC temporarily on Camry Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/disabling-trac-vsc-temporarily-camry-hybrid-23487/)

fthebault 12-15-2009 03:59 PM

Disabling TRAC and VSC temporarily on Camry Hybrid

1 Attachment(s)
For those of us that want to disable TRAC (Traction Control) and VSC (Vehicle Stability Control) for a while, the following simple procedure will do it for sure on the TCH, unlike the other procedures on the net that I have seen:

Perform procedures within 60 seconds. (lots of time in other words)
(1) Turn the power switch on IG. (This means press the start switch twice to get the dash to light up while NOT pushing the brake pedal).

(2) Now push the brake pedal with your left foot, and fully depress the accelerator pedal with your right foot, twice with the shift P position.

Note: Pushing the brake pedal in these procedure is just to allow the ability to move the shift lever from P to N and back to P

(3) Fully depress the accelerator pedal twice with the shift N position.
(4) Fully depress the accelerator pedal twice with the shift P position.

The message "FWD Maintenance Mode" should be displayed on the multi-information display.

(5) Start the engine by pressing the power switch while depressing the brake pedal.

The multi-information display should alternate between "FWD Maintenance Mode" and "Check VSC" and a couple of other lights will be on.

Next time you shutdown, the system will be back to normal.
This does not shut the ABS system for braking.

This can be useful when you want to go up a hill and TRAC will prevent the car from moving like I know people have experienced including my self, even with good snow tires...

Also, please spare me the safety warnings that have been discussed on other threads. This turns off safety items that have been built into the car, but does not make it worse than a regular vehicle. Use your good judgment.

Sooty 12-15-2009 04:20 PM

Re: Disabling TRAC and VSC temporarily on Camry Hybrid

Thank you, thank you.

This will be going on a post card laminated and kept in the glove box for those occasions when it's needed.:thumbs_up:thumbs_up

wwest 12-15-2009 05:04 PM

Or your could simply remove the gas cap temporarily without refueling, a CEL will result, and the TC/VSC systems will be disabled until the CEL clears or is cleared.

spiff72 12-15-2009 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by wwest (Post 215491)
Or your could simply remove the gas cap temporarily without refueling, a CEL will result, and the TC/VSC systems will be disabled until the CEL clears or is cleared.

The CEL will disable TC/VSC?? Why would they set up the system this way?

haroldo 12-16-2009 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by fthebault (Post 215487)
...This can be useful when you want to go up a hill and TRAC will prevent the car from moving...

I've been stuck on a steep driveway with the wheels spinning in the snow. Is this what you're referring to?

rmorrow 12-16-2009 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by haroldo (Post 215500)
I've been stuck on a steep driveway with the wheels spinning in the snow. Is this what you're referring to?

In particular, it addresses the problem where you are stuck in the snow or ice, and the wheels refuse to turn at all because the system decides that they have too little traction to bother. Following this process will enable the wheels to spin, so that someone that knows what they're doing will be able to get unstuck.

rmorrow 12-16-2009 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by Sooty (Post 215489)
Thank you, thank you.

This will be going on a post card laminated and kept in the glove box for those occasions when it's needed.:thumbs_up:thumbs_up

Likewise! I could have used this a couple of days ago. Fortunately, with lots (and I mean lots!) of patience I was able to rock my way out. You have to apply just enough power to the wheel to make it start to turn, but not so much that it wants to spin and triggers the TRAC - not easy.

haroldo 12-16-2009 07:39 AM

...and when you reboot (oops!...restart) the car, it goes back to normal, right?

ptung07 12-16-2009 11:13 AM

You are awesome! THANK YOU.

fthebault 12-16-2009 04:03 PM

Yes Haroldo, once you shutdown, the next time you restart by rebooting ;) you will get a blue screen! Just kidding...
Things are back to normal just like before without codes to deal with.

rightforlineup 12-16-2009 04:32 PM

thanks - not sure when I might need it but appreciate the tip.

rmorrow 12-17-2009 09:03 AM

I tried this yesterday. It worked like a charm! Thanks.

Sooty 12-17-2009 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by rmorrow (Post 215554)
I tried this yesterday. It worked like a charm! Thanks.

Thanks for the confirmation Randy. :cool:

rickkop 12-19-2009 06:16 AM

Holy cow!! An On/Off switch made more sense.

Sooty 12-19-2009 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by rickkop (Post 215615)
Holy cow!! An On/Off switch made more sense.

Absolutely correct but Toyota chose not to give us one of those.

haroldo 12-19-2009 09:34 AM

Given where they put the ECO ("what the heck does it do?") button I imagine if they did add this button, it would probably be located under the back seat, so this is probably easier.

wwest 12-19-2009 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Sooty (Post 215628)

Probably a matter of safety. FWD vehicles can be quite hazardous operating on the slippery stuff, and here we have an unusually TORQUEY and lightweight FWD vehicle.

With LRR tires that are NOT selected for a high traction quotient.

rickkop 12-20-2009 05:13 AM

I had a FWD 2001 Cadillac Deville. At the end of the signal stalk there was this little button. Push it in, traction control off. Leave it out, and it was on. The only thing I miss.

acco20 12-21-2009 10:53 AM

Toyota does use a switch in some of its cars.....I have one in my lexus....very handy. Miss it in my 2007 hybrid.

haroldo 12-21-2009 02:34 PM

Just guessing here, but if not all Camry's have the features (and I believe it's standard on the Hybrid and an option on the gas version) then Toyota has an even greater logistical nightmare...how do you mass produce a car with all the different variations.
As it is there are at least two flavors (not to mention all the different trim packages). At some point adding a button here or a switch there (which seems simple to us) is a tremendous cost in the form of retooling, redesign, etc.
I noticed that it was included in the Deville and Lexus (both high end cars). The Camry is mass produced and is more of a value car, thus they have to keep their costs down to be able to sell it as cheaply as they do.
Not defending them, but this is my guess as to why they do it this way.

fullofbeans 12-25-2009 07:02 PM

Wowser!

One of the holy grail of tips so far.

Members having been scratching their head over how to temporarily disable the traction control for some time now. I always guessed it had to do with some combination of pressing the brake pedal and accel. I've tried some combinations when before but never considered the shifter.

Thanks a bunch. I've def. had opportunities to benefit from this living in Ottawa.

- everyone should print this and keep it in the glove box. I just did!

Dang 12-30-2009 08:25 PM

Thank you, this is a good tip!

Some day manufactures will realize the best way to get through deep snow is smooth constant power, not cutting power, then dumping it back on again. Until then, we have this trick!

Thanks!

Dang

Philt 12-31-2009 10:24 AM

This definitely works very well. I live on a steep hill and used it yesterday to get up in the snow. The car wouldn't go up without this, the system cut the power right off so I backed down followed the procedure and made it up. I have used it twice now in the last couple of weeks.
Great tip.

UWAdventurer 01-22-2010 08:10 PM

Works great! Had to disable mine to get up my driveway. Printed it and put it in the glove box for easy access.

THANKS FOR THE INFO!!!!!

xaf2221 02-15-2010 07:50 PM

It works for the Prius too!!!:) Thanks so much for the guide to turning off the traction control!

manitou 01-05-2011 05:09 PM

To fthebault,

I am greatful for the steps you have provided to disengage the Trac Control of my 2008 Camry Hybrid.

In the event of a snowfall, to get to my home in the Quebec Laurentians, I must turn left off from Northbound highway traffic to cross over 2 southbound lanes. If there is any slippage while starting between the northbound and southbound lanes to cross over the 2 soutbound lanes to enter a country road, the car will ocassionally stall while blocking the southbound lanes. Last year, I got lucky and missed having a fatal accident at this intersection.

The car will not climb steep hill near me if the snow is wet. However my 98 Accord has no such problem with the same hill under the same conditions.`

The 2011 Camry Hybrid sold in the US comes with a switch to turn off the Trac Control but the same 2011 car sold in Canada has no switch. I spoke with a Toyota Canada representative and my request to have that US model switch installed was refused.

For now the multi-step solution from fthebault is the best available option. However, in a pinch, if one finds one has to shut off the motor to go through the steps before turning the engine back on without Trac Control, the time to avoid an accident may not be available`.

Toyota has the solution, the switch that is standard equipment on its US 2011 Camry Hybrid. Their stubborn attitude about rectifying the problem is inexcusable.

Perhaps we can make a difference by bringing together all those with a similar problem for joint action, including media attention to get Toyota to move on this.

ukrkoz 01-05-2011 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Sooty (Post 215628)

yes, new models have off switch. i test drove one with it.

Dang 01-05-2011 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by manitou (Post 231749)
To fthebault,

In the event of a snowfall, to get to my home in the Quebec Laurentians, I must turn left off from Northbound highway traffic to cross over 2 southbound lanes. If there is any slippage while starting between the northbound and southbound lanes to cross over the 2 soutbound lanes to enter a country road, the car will ocassionally stall while blocking the southbound lanes. Last year, I got lucky and missed having a fatal accident at this intersection.

Hmmmm.....

I've never had mine "stall". You may want to have the dealer take a look at it. For the traction control to realize it's spinning, it has to turn the wheels, so yes, it will apply power and spin, then cut it, then apply power again and spin, then cut it, etc. That makes it slow to move, but it should still move, and you might have to allow extra time make a turn. If your car is not moving at all, then if you turned off the traction control your car still wouldn't move, it's just the wheels would be spinning now. I've had trouble getting up a hill because of traction control, but never had trouble crossing other lanes of traffic.

Where the disable is handy is that you can apply constant power (even if spinning). The traction control tends to cut put, then apply too much, then cut it, etc.

Does that make sense?

Dang

manitou 01-05-2011 07:54 PM

Certain types of snow conditions, wet slippery snow, results either 1) in to total loss in power momentarily on a flat surface or 2) hesitation to lasting loss of power and momentum when climbing. The situation when crossing highway lanes occurs when the section between the highway dividing islands is slightly snow covered resulting in a little slip upon acceleration followed by a total loss of power while blocking oncoming traffic on a snow-free wet surface. By the time the power comes back on, there has been plenty of time for a major accident.

wwest 01-06-2011 04:09 AM

This is all a bit puzzling to me since all the way back in '91 my then new LS400 came with a Trac off PB. But there is a factory liability, safety issue, involved here. On the other hand my '01 RX300 came without one. Also, Canadian law may not allow for the factory to put in switch that disables a rather serious safety feature/device.

But maybe the "secret" is RWD vs FWD. Potential loss of directional control with RWD spin/slip is not so much an issue as with FWD or F/awd. With RWD slip/spin you still have the entire front tire traction coefficient available for maintaining directional control.

0123456789 01-09-2011 11:06 AM

I have a 2007 TCH. I've had trouble getting up an incline in snow multiple times, so I've been researching possible solutions on the Internet. This traction control disable procedure looks promising, but I'm wondering if there is any chance of possible physical damage to the car hybrid system using it. I'm seen some people saying this, but I don't have the technical knowledge to tell if this is accurate or not. Here are some quotes I've seen:

"The traction control in the Toyota Hybrids is there nearly as much to protect the motor generators as it is to help the stability of the cars. If the motor generators spin too rapidly with no load resistance, bad things can happen."

That was posted by Bigsk8r here:
https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...ter-mpg-11666/

Here is another post from another forum by a poster named qbee42 about the Prius, but the TCH is similar:
"The electric motor on the Prius gives it a lot of low end torque. Without some sort of traction control system it would be easy for inexperienced drivers to spin the drive wheels. Spinning drive wheels present two possible problems: 1) Overspeed of critical parts, and 2) Shock loading if and when the drive wheels grab. Either of these can destroy your HSD."

Is hybrid system damage a real concern if you disable traction control? If so, what steps can be taken to minimize the risk? I'd appreciate any thoughts on the matter. Thanks.

wwest 01-09-2011 02:49 PM

I would think that anyone disabling TC would then know to be "gingerly" on the throttle. I also would expect the system to be self-protecting insofar as rev limits are concerned.

manitou 01-09-2011 04:11 PM

Your assessment makes sense as it makes no sense to do a hard acceleration on a snow covered surface in order to cut across two highway lanes! The safey necessity is to not have to play the lottery of a possible car hesitation while crossing the highway lanes.

The remaining question is how to "convince" Toyota to install the same switch that is standard equipment on the 2011 US version of the Camry Hybrid.

wwest 01-09-2011 06:29 PM

"..convince Toyota.." Yeah, like that's ever likely to happen.

jayw_TCH 01-17-2011 04:34 AM

I am so glad this was posted, thank you. I just complained in another thread about how useless the camry is in the winter because of TC.

Now if I could just get the **** thing to start...

UWAdventurer 01-17-2011 05:13 AM

I had trouble getting up my driveway because of the traction control. Disabled it once. Better solution I found was a dedicated set of good snow tires. No more traction control problems. Goes up my drive better than my 4x4.

phantomiii 01-17-2011 02:31 PM

"I had trouble getting up my driveway because of the traction control. Disabled it once. Better solution I found was a dedicated set of good snow tires. No more traction control problems. Goes up my drive better than my 4x4."

Imagine that!

haroldo 02-04-2014 06:45 AM

bumping a great tip for those of us stuck in the snow!

(please note this tip works for the 2008 version, my car, and earlier...I have no idea if it's the same for newer cars)

Originally Posted by fthebault (Post 215487)
For those of us that want to disable TRAC (Traction Control) and VSC (Vehicle Stability Control) for a while, the following simple procedure will do it for sure on the TCH, unlike the other procedures on the net that I have seen:

Perform procedures within 60 seconds. (lots of time in other words)
(1) Turn the power switch on IG. (This means press the start switch twice to get the dash to light up while NOT pushing the brake pedal).

(2) Now push the brake pedal with your left foot, and fully depress the accelerator pedal with your right foot, twice with the shift P position.

Note: Pushing the brake pedal in these procedure is just to allow the ability to move the shift lever from P to N and back to P

(3) Fully depress the accelerator pedal twice with the shift N position.
(4) Fully depress the accelerator pedal twice with the shift P position.

The message "FWD Maintenance Mode" should be displayed on the multi-information display.

(5) Start the engine by pressing the power switch while depressing the brake pedal.

The multi-information display should alternate between "FWD Maintenance Mode" and "Check VSC" and a couple of other lights will be on.

Next time you shutdown, the system will be back to normal.
This does not shut the ABS system for braking.

This can be useful when you want to go up a hill and TRAC will prevent the car from moving like I know people have experienced including my self, even with good snow tires...

Also, please spare me the safety warnings that have been discussed on other threads. This turns off safety items that have been built into the car, but does not make it worse than a regular vehicle. Use your good judgment.

UWAdventurer 02-04-2014 05:09 PM

Thanks for the post.

haroldo 02-05-2014 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by UWAdventurer (Post 251124)
Thanks for the post.

I completely forgot about this trick while I was sitting stuck on a snow/ice mound.
Needless to say, I also forgot that I had printed these instructions and placed it behind my sun visor a few years ago.