Does Battery Ever Fully Charge?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 11:46 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Does Battery Ever Fully Charge?

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...t=fully+charge

Old 03-08-2007, 02:41 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I've seen the battery at full charge after coasting down a long hill while lightly riding the brakes. I've also seen it go down to 1 bar a few times when creeping along in rush hour traffic for miles. Normally the ICE starts shortly after it drops to 2 bars, but twice I've seen it drop to 1 bar when just creeping without my foot on the gas.

Old 03-08-2007, 04:35 PM

Nash, you took this pix while driving at 33MPH???? Oh, I know,your backseat passenger reached over your shoulder....got it!

Old 03-08-2007, 05:47 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nash
I've seen the battery at full charge after coasting down a long hill while lightly riding the brakes. I've also seen it go down to 1 bar a few times when creeping along in rush hour traffic for miles. Normally the ICE starts shortly after it drops to 2 bars, but twice I've seen it drop to 1 bar when just creeping without my foot on the gas.

According to Toyota full is still only 80%.

Old 03-08-2007, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by jbollt
Nash, you took this pix while driving at 33MPH???? Oh, I know,your backseat passenger reached over your shoulder....got it!
backseat passenger ... Yeah! The backseat passenger took it

Skywagon, good point. I was referencing the battery gauge reading 100%

Old 03-09-2007, 03:22 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by scottzorch
I regularly get it down to 1-2 bars by running in forced-EV mode in heavy traffic. On a bad day, it'll drop low enough to need to run the engine to charge; normally, I'll get past the usual jam before that point and recharge on open road.
What is forced-EV mode ? I have to be super feather foot just to keep the engine from turning on, I would love to be able to force into EV mode.

Old 03-09-2007, 05:53 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by C11634
What is forced-EV mode ? I have to be super feather foot just to keep the engine from turning on, I would love to be able to force into EV mode.

The easiest way to get into EV mode after the engine is warm is to get the car's speed up to around 40 MPH and then let your foot off the gas pedal and then slightly push down on the gas pedal. As you mentioned you need to have a light foot otherwise the ICE will kick in. On level ground I can keep it going about 40 MPH until I hit an incline...

Old 03-09-2007, 06:16 PM
HSD Organic Interface

Originally Posted by C11634
Switching the climate control system off makes it easier too, or at least avoid high heat/cool or defroster settings.