Does your TCH have a "smell"?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 11:06 AM
Think green.
Default Re: Does your TCH have a "smell"?

There was some discussion regarding outgassing in a thread titled "Can we get a Forum for the environment?", and some links were posted that had to do with chemical offgassing in various models of vehicles.
There was a link where you can enter a particular vehicle, and data regarding chemical offgassing is listed. Here is the page regarding the TCH.

http://www.healthycar.org/vehicle.de...p?getrecno=184

Last edited by Gairwyn; 12-01-2007 at 11:11 AM.
Old 12-04-2007, 03:17 PM
Enthusiast

My TCH smells like farm animals. Search the threads and you will find several references to barn or farm animal smells from various people. My wife smells it too. Car has about 23k miles on it, but the smell started between 5 - 10k miles. Until then it just smelled like a new car. The vehicle has cloth seats.

I have complained to the dealer, of course to them it just smells "new". I have taken to putting an air freshener in the trunk as I firmly believe the smell originates there, and not in the back seats as I initially thought. The dealer changed the cabin filter, put disinfectant in the vent system and still the problem is the same. I do not think it is normal outgassing as there is no film on the windshield.

I have no solution to the problem, nor an identified source for it. It just smells. It is worse when the car has sat overnight. When you open the doors in the morning the smell hits you. Once you are driving it dissipates or you get used to it.

Old 12-04-2007, 11:00 PM
Think green.

Farm animals, huh?
Interesting. If you follow the link above and go into the details, it seems like the TCH has a lot of bromines off-gassing; bromines are used in flame-retardants. They are listed as being in the soft door trim and the front seats.
I googled "bromine smell" and found that the word bromine originates from another word (I think it was from French) that means "stench". Some descriptions said bromine smells like rotting vegetation, and originates from seaweed.
So, I don't know, maybe it's the bromine. I wonder if seat covers or fabric replacement would make the smell go away.

Old 12-05-2007, 06:57 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Gairwyn
Farm animals, huh?
Interesting. If you follow the link above and go into the details, it seems like the TCH has a lot of bromines off-gassing; bromines are used in flame-retardants. They are listed as being in the soft door trim and the front seats.
I googled "bromine smell" and found that the word bromine originates from another word (I think it was from French) that means "stench". Some descriptions said bromine smells like rotting vegetation, and originates from seaweed.
So, I don't know, maybe it's the bromine. I wonder if seat covers or fabric replacement would make the smell go away.
Time for Gas-X, local Wallgreens. lol

Old 12-05-2007, 03:54 PM
Green Guy

My wife is very sensitive to harmful odors. She has been bothered by the new car smell, but after almost 5,000 km she says it has dissipated significantly. With the Plasmacluster system on she doesn't smell anything, but will notice a slight odor when first getting in the car.

While I have a poor sense of smell and have never noticed any odor, I do get instant headaches from chemical vapors. I have never had a headache while driving in the TCH. We have cloth seats.

If we had an unresolvable odor after 18 months of driving, we would be forced to get rid of the car. Actually, I doubt my wife would tolerate it for more than six months.

Old 12-05-2007, 04:12 PM
Pragmatist

I have only had mine for a day, so of course it has a "new car" smell. ;-)
But, it seem to have less than I remember from previous new cars.
Perhaps they are just using plastics that have less volatile chemicals, so the plastics off-gas less quickly, and take longer (perhaps many months) to finish.

Old 12-05-2007, 05:07 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SteveHansen
I have only had mine for a day, so of course it has a "new car" smell. ;-)
But, it seem to have less than I remember from previous new cars.
Perhaps they are just using plastics that have less volatile chemicals, so the plastics off-gas less quickly, and take longer (perhaps many months) to finish.
I had virtually no out-gassing other than the new car smell for about 3 months. Then the film started on the windshield and has gotten worse with use of the heat.

Old 12-06-2007, 05:15 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Mine had the "new car" smell for about a month to 6 weeks. After that, people stopped noticing it. I've now had it for almost 6 months, and there are no disturbing smells, no film on the windshield, or any other related problems (knock wood). My wife has a super-sensitive nose, and also has no complaints.

Old 11-30-2008, 09:08 AM
CAH
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by peter
Everyone: thank you for the all the responses. I hope others can share their experiences... am really curious whether this is an issue with many TCH or just a few. In other words, is this "normal" for this car or is it particular to the car I happen to have. Now, to be fair, my wife doesn't really care. She can smell it a little but it doesn't seem to bother her. As I said, for me, it's more and more annoying.

Interestingly, our second car (new Accord Hybrid), has some "new car" smell, too. It has only about 1000 miles and I can tell you, in terms of the "smell", it is so much less intense than what I can smell in Camry. And, of course, we have driven our Camry for about 25,000 miles and year and half - so, really, it's not unreasonable to expect that all the "outgassing" should have finished by now...

Therein lies the question, i.e.: is what we are smelling:
1) continual effect of "outgassing"
2) a sign of a defect in our car
3) normal for TCH - and, simply, "unfortunate" for people who are more "smell" sensitive.
I bought a used 2006 Lexus RX400h used and did not notice a strange odor in the cabin until it was too late. To me, it is a "chemical" odor that I would associate with outgassing of some material. To some, it smells like spicey peppers (e.g., in Thai food). The odor builds up when the car is turned off and closed up. It appears to disipate within a minute or less after driving, probably due to dilution by air from the cabin ventilation system. Recently, I tried to locate the source of the smell by sniffing around. That day, it appeared to be coming from the vents to the battery compartment (vents are located under the rear seat). I also sometimes detect the odor when I step out of the vehicle. One guess is that the odor is due to outgassing from the battery, perhaps due to a breach in the casing; however, I don't have anything to back this up except the apparent location of the source, which is itself suspect.
Would you describe your odor as a chemical odor? Have you taken it to the dealer?

Old 11-30-2008, 09:57 AM
Super Moderator

CAH,

Do you realize that this thread is a YEAR old? You have also started THREE different threads that I know of on this board alone for your problem. Leave the one you have on the "General" forum there and kill the rest OK?

Quick Reply: Does your TCH have a "smell"?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands