Dual Climate Control issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 12:22 AM
Enthusiast
Default Dual Climate Control issue

First timer here. I have noticed a very strange issue with the dual climate control button. Last week, I had my 2009 Camry Hybrid for an oil change, the dealer also put in the paddle fix and brake paddle override to the car as well.

Today, when I use the dual climate control button, the light is in reverse! What I mean is, when the dual light is on, it suppose to change the driver's and passenger's side temperature together. But right now, when the dual light is on, it only changes the driver's side temperature. When I press the dual button to turn off the light and turn the ***, it changes the temperature on both driver's and passenger's side together.

Have anyone experienced this and can it be fix without going to the dealership again?

Thanks!

Old 04-30-2011, 04:28 AM
Pragmatist
Default Re: Dual Climate Control issue

Originally Posted by dcw888
...now, when the dual light is on, it only changes the driver's side temperature. When I press the dual button to turn off the light and turn the ***, it changes the temperature on both driver's and passenger's side together.
Thanks!
I think you are confused. That's the way it is supposed to work. When the "dual" light is "off", the left **** controls both sides. When the "dual" light is "on", the left **** controls the left side and the right **** controls the right side.

Old 04-30-2011, 07:02 AM
Veracitorian Muser

Originally Posted by SteveHansen
I think you are confused. That's the way it is supposed to work. When the "dual" light is "off", the left **** controls both sides. When the "dual" light is "on", the left **** controls the left side and the right **** controls the right side.
This is correct. "Dual" means dual, left and right controls, where no dual (light off) means single control for both sides.

-- Alan

Old 04-30-2011, 08:33 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

exactly. light on=separate adjustments; light off=both zones same.

different story is why **** AUTO mode works only in "floor" setting. automatically switches to it and will not stay in AUTO in any other mode. apparently, it's some sort of Toyota fetish, as my wife's Lexus RX300 from 99 is exactly same way. so it's not just mine. NOTHING is better than climate controls in my Silverado. HUGE ***** easy to turn and locate even blind, can be operated with little finger, and you can run air flow whichever way you wish.

Old 04-30-2011, 11:31 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks for clearing this up for me. I almost wanted to take this car back to the dealership. I got this car used so I only had the car for a week.

Old 05-01-2011, 06:48 AM
Veracitorian Muser

Originally Posted by ukrkoz
**** AUTO mode works only in "floor" setting. automatically switches to it and will not stay in AUTO in any other mode.
Sounds like yours is not working.

My Camry Hybrid, like my Lexus GS before it, has excellent auto control of the AC system. It initially comes on very low on the floor in recirculate. Once the system is ready, it adjusts. It only stays on the floor until after all the hot air is blown out of the vents, and then it switches. Once the system is fully operational (1 or 2 minutes after starting the car), I can manually switch the duct or the fan speed or the AC, and what I don't change stays in auto mode. Pressing auto again switches everything back to auto. Some settings, like defrost, take it out of auto.

The Toyota climate control systems do not work quite as well as my prior Volvo, but a little better than my previous Ford, and much, much better than the Mercedes I had. I'd give Toyota an A for climate control design and performance.

-- Alan

Old 05-01-2011, 07:22 AM

well, chances of both vehicles going bad on climate controls in exactly the same manner are slim to none.

i'll fool with it more.
i do not allow my system to run in recirculate mode, i have always known that it is not good for it. also, i do not allow both vehicles to run a/c along with heater, esp on our older, 99 car, as it's all mechanical on it and costs gas. and what for anyway?

maybe this is throwing the way it operates out of the way it is supposed to work. but if the wisdom of operating it approaches complexity of BMW stereo controls, then no, i'll pass on A rating. vehicle operator should be free to run climate control in whichever way he or she wants it. not how a Japanese engineer deems suited. all i am asking it to do is to maintain a specific temperature inside.

Old 05-01-2011, 07:37 AM

with user manual in front of me:

AUTO mode is not even designed for normal operation. it is designed for "automatic operation of the air conditioning".

otherwise, they suggest using manual mode for one's preferred settings. hence, no wonder it does what it does.

also, there's a bunch of limitations on this and that, when someone in their construction bureau made a decision not allow certain combinations.

no, definitely not A. i'll just let it be. not really matters. it is less hassle than this: why temperature can not be adjusted WITHOUT fan turned on?

no, no, boys and girls. BIG *****, MANUAL at will changes. that's BIG A.

Old 05-01-2011, 09:55 AM

exactly. light on=separate adjustments; light off=both zones same.

different story is why **** AUTO mode works only in "floor" setting. automatically switches to it and will not stay in AUTO in any other mode. apparently, it's some sort of Toyota fetish, as my wife's Lexus RX300 from 99 is exactly same way. so it's not just mine. NOTHING is better than climate controls in my Silverado. HUGE ***** easy to turn and locate even blind, can be operated with little finger, and you can run air flow whichever way you wish.
"Auto" mode light extinguishes if you manually override ANY function, even though all other functions remain under automatic control. It would be much simpler, more intuitive, if just the manual over-ridden function indicated non-automatic mode via a different, dual color led.

Having said that to clarify matters the NipponDenso automatic climate design, POS, originally only Toyota and Lexus, is now pervasive throughout the market.

Requires virtually continuous manual intervention for comfort and SAFETY, keeping the windshield clear of condensation.

In the wintertime one must be constantly on the alert to keep these things from AUTOMATICALLY switching into cooling mode wherein no, NONE, warming air routed to the interior surface of the windshield to prevent it fogging up.

Denso US, Idiots, SHEER idiots.

Last edited by wwest; 05-01-2011 at 09:59 AM.
Old 05-01-2011, 10:12 AM

well, chances of both vehicles going bad on climate controls in exactly the same manner are slim to none.

i'll fool with it more.
i do not allow my system to run in recirculate mode, i have always known that it is not good for it. also, i do not allow both vehicles to run a/c along with heater, esp on our older, 99 car, as it's all mechanical on it and costs gas. and what for anyway?

maybe this is throwing the way it operates out of the way it is supposed to work. but if the wisdom of operating it approaches complexity of BMW stereo controls, then no, i'll pass on A rating. vehicle operator should be free to run climate control in whichever way he or she wants it. not how a Japanese engineer deems suited. all i am asking it to do is to maintain a specific temperature inside.
For as long as I have owned cars with A/C ('68..?) I have always disabled the A/C compressor except for times of need for COOLING purposes. Long ago I learned that here in my area of the PNW the use of the A/C for dehumidification is not reliable enough to justify its use.

Now along comes these newer systems that have no shutoff for the heater core engine HOT coolant flow and the reheat/remix method of regulating the system outlet temperature.

So nowadays I not only disable the compressor during the cooler times I have a manual shutoff valve in the hose to the heater core so I can block the re-HEAT cycle during times of cooling need.

The automatic climate control in our '92 LS400 has an internal modification so that it automatically(***) calls for heating, lots of HEATING, when the system is switched into Defrost/Defog/Demist mode.

Transistor used to switch extra current flow (~150 microamps) through the IAT, Internal(cabin) Air Temperature, sensor/thermistor. Makes the control think the cabin has suddenly gotten VERY cold.

INSTANT windshield defogging/demisting.

Last edited by wwest; 05-01-2011 at 10:15 AM.

Quick Reply: Dual Climate Control issue

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands