Dual Power - ICE and battery

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 07:57 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Dual Power - ICE and battery

Fairly new to this forum and Hybrids but have a question. I searched the site as thought maybe this subject has probably been discussed before, but guess I don't know what to search for. Let me explain ... I know the ICE and the battery both power the car when you start off, but at times I found (very seldom) when I'm driving along at 45mph with the ICE, the battery starts to provide power also and the RPMs on the ICE drop to near idle RPMs (I have a scangauge) and the mileage jumps up to over 50mpg. This continues as long as you don't have to stop at a light and continues even up to 50mph (not sure how much past 50 as I'm on a street where the speed limit is only 40 -- so have not tried to go faster). Doesn't make any difference if you are going up a gradual grade or down a grade both keep powering the vehicle, the mileage stays above 50mpg, the battery indicator does not show the battery is being drained, and you can make throttle changes and both (ICE + Bat) keep providing power. Don't know what this is called, and only get it seldom (not even every time I drive nor even on the same place on the road), but would like to figure out how to get in that mode more often. Any ideas on what this is called and how you can get into this mode more often? If this was covered in another thread, please just point me to that thread and sorry to bother everyone ... thanks ...

Old 09-28-2009, 09:23 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Dual Power - ICE and battery

look for Heretical Mode.

How to:

Travel at a steady speed until the rpms stabalize at 1280, then add just a bit of gas, and sometimes this results in 'magic'.

Old 09-29-2009, 01:08 AM
Active Enthusiast

Also check out open loop - closed loop

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...uestion-17734/

Old 09-29-2009, 09:28 PM
Active Enthusiast

Nyceshirtz -- Thanks for the pointing me to the thread and BOFH for giving me the definition of Heretical Mode. Searched the Heretical Mode and there is a lot of hits. Now just need to take a weekend to read and understand. Sounds pretty complicated and not a lot of ways to fool the ECU ... just let it do it's thing. But I'll read and see if I understand ...