Old 12-20-2006, 03:56 PM
World's First Hybrid
Default Re: Electric Shocks...YOUCH!

That might work, its worth a try.

Old 12-20-2006, 04:13 PM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

Originally Posted by elsifer
...Denver is known for its dry climate, ...
Check again. Look out your window. Not too dry at the moment.

Old 12-20-2006, 05:37 PM
Active Enthusiast

... but it's a dry snow...

Old 12-20-2006, 07:11 PM
2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid

Originally Posted by ralph_dog
I get the same thing from my hch. It's a combination of the type of clothes you are wearing at the time, seat materials, and the low humidity of winter. Any car will also build up a static charge when driving at highway speeds and if you happen to pass some money to a toll taker, you run the risk of discharging a good jolt. To remedy this, you can attach a static strap to the rear of your car that will touch the ground as you come to a stop and discharge any static electricity that has accumulated.
Any toll booth setup I have seen has a little piece of metal wire coming up from the ground in the middle of the lane just opposite the toll takers booth opening. It is used to touch the underside of the vehicle and discharge the static electricity.

Old 12-21-2006, 12:01 AM
Enthusiast

That might solve the shock for you Yanks, but we ain't got no tollbooths out here in Californy-- all the ways is FREE!

Old 01-31-2007, 03:58 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bmgoodman
Funny that you mention this. I have gotten a small static shock getting out of my last two cars, a Passat and an Altima. This happened so frequently that I was starting to wonder about myself! In 6 months of ownership, I have to say that I can't recall its happening on my TCH! In fact, I had forgotten about it until I read your post. Maybe you got my static "mojo"!
We have a Passat, too, and it shocks me every time I get out of the car. It never happens with our 5-series or Odyssey, so I'm pretty sure it's car-related. Maybe it's the narrow (195 mm), LRR (I presume) tires.

Old 02-02-2007, 06:43 AM
Dazed and Confused

I have seen some straps you can bolt to the underside of the car. They drag on the ground and are supposed to "release" the static charge that is built up in/on the car. You might try that, they are sold at some auto parts houses.

Old 02-02-2007, 06:47 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

Originally Posted by ag4ever
I have seen some straps you can bolt to the underside of the car. They drag on the ground and are supposed to "release" the static charge that is built up in/on the car. You might try that, they are sold at some auto parts houses.
Yea, I had those on my '57 Chevy. Each had three plastic reflectors. Those with the Racoon Tail on the radio antenna and Dice hanging from the rearview mirror made my car "cool". What comes around comes around?

Old 02-02-2007, 10:44 AM
Enthusiast
Talking Re: Electric Shocks...YOUCH!

Originally Posted by schmidtj
Yea, I had those on my '57 Chevy. Each had three plastic reflectors. Those with the Racoon Tail on the radio antenna and Dice hanging from the rearview mirror made my car "cool". What comes around comes around?
You forgot the pom-poms lol

Old 02-02-2007, 02:28 PM
Dan
MPG Centurion

Does the Camry have SmartKey?

My theory is that the static discharge is grounding through the smartkey sensor under the handle. I checked my other cars and they all have plastic door handles. My Prius (not Camry) may have a plastic handle, but there is a sensor on the inside of the handle you always touch when you reach for the door. This is how the SmarKey system knows to unlock the door.

Static is Very high voltage, and very low ampage. But that high voltage (even at low amps) does a remarkable job of scrambling electronics. I'm often concerned that the static will short out the SmarKey system, but that's probably why you get a shock. Maybe it's an attempt to ground you just before you hit the sensor. They may have put a grounding strip of lower resistance right next to the SmartKey system. If my physics is right, you'd ground through the lowest resistance (grounding strip) 10 times out of 10.

Quick Reply: Electric Shocks...YOUCH!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands