Engine Shudder From A Stop

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 04:23 PM
Inquiring Mind
Default Re: Engine Shudder From A Stop

Originally Posted by Droid13
My experience after 15 months of ownership is that sometimes the start and shutdown will be totally silent, other times it will have a noticeable but minor shudder. As others have said, it's pretty much normal.

In general I find the startup shudder (from stop) to be very gentle, but happens about 30%-40% of the time. The shutdown shudder while stopped is a bit rougher, but only happens about 2% of the time. Startup and shutdown while in motion are usually always smooth.
Thanks for sharing your experiences Andy . Your input on 15 months worth of driving help resolve this issue in my mind. Especially where you said it happens about 30-40% of the time. That seems to agree with the little that I have experienced as well. I also experienced silky-smooth startup and shutdown while in motion as well with both cars.

Like I said, it wasn't violent, just noticeable somewhat. Guess it will take some getting used to if I experience it. We're not buying that '07 anyways. It was the wrong color.

Tom

Old 10-02-2007, 06:00 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hi Tom,

It is a pleasure to help. I hope you purchase an 08 and LOVE IT!

Old 10-02-2007, 08:17 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Droid13
Startup and shutdown while in motion are usually always smooth.
The majority of the time I don't notice the ICE start up or stop.

As Droid13 said, if you are in motion, it is very smooth. Starting from a light, if you goose it, the startup shudder is noticable, but if you start rolling on EV the shudder is less pronounced.

I also have had my TCH 15 months and 25,000 miles. So far I have not noticed any increase in the ICE shudder on starting.

Old 10-02-2007, 12:51 PM
Inquiring Mind

Originally Posted by nash
The majority of the time I don't notice the ICE start up or stop.

As Droid13 said, if you are in motion, it is very smooth. Starting from a light, if you goose it, the startup shudder is noticable, but if you start rolling on EV the shudder is less pronounced.

I also have had my TCH 15 months and 25,000 miles. So far I have not noticed any increase in the ICE shudder on starting.
Hey that's more good news Nash! Thanks for sharing .