Engine Shudder From A Stop

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 02:51 PM
Inquiring Mind
Default Engine Shudder From A Stop

I just drove a 2007 Camry Hybrid on Saturday with my wife. We are thinking of buying one and were curious about the performance. The car was practically new with a little over 13k miles. We loved the car but we both noticed the the engine shuddered when the ICE turned on when pressing lightly on the gas pedal from a stop - i.e., starting from a traffic light.

Do any of you who currently own one experience this as well? It is not really excessive but noticable and would take some getting used to. The best way to describe it is it feels like someone letting the clutch out on a manual transmission car.

Old 09-28-2007, 03:01 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Engine Shudder From A Stop

Yep, it will do that, but there is no hesitation moving away from the light because it will accelerate on battery immediately before starting the ICE.

I've found the hardest thing to get used to is the absolute silence and lack of vibration when you come to a stop (assuming your climate control and sound system are turned off!)

Old 09-28-2007, 03:56 PM
Newbie and lovin' it!

Do not hesitate...buy the car, you will love it!~

Old 09-29-2007, 04:43 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

[quote=Forrest Gump;145004]It is not really excessive but noticable and would take some getting used to.quote]
You get used to it very quickly. I never notice it anymore.

Old 09-29-2007, 05:43 PM
Inquiring Mind

Test drove a new 2008 today. The shudder was unintelligible. I was impressed. Still would appreciate anyone else's input on this however. I am wondering if perhaps as the engine gets older it becomes more pronounced or maybe it was just that specific car.

Old 09-30-2007, 06:59 PM

I have about 7000 miles on mine and it has had the first oil change. Sometimes I notice it more other times I do not. It may just be me. That said, I am sure there are differences between each car.

Unless it is very violent, I would assume it is normal. Maybe try another 07. I have an 07 so I cannot speak for the 08s.

That said, I have asked people (riding) if they can feel it. They say they cannot or they at least don't notice it. Did you and your wife feel it while riding or just while each of you were driving it? You will certainly feel it while driving it.

Mike

Old 10-01-2007, 07:16 AM
Active Enthusiast

I think it is only really noticeable because otherwise it is so smooth and vibration free.

Old 10-01-2007, 07:31 AM
HSD Organic Interface

My experience after 15 months of ownership is that sometimes the start and shutdown will be totally silent, other times it will have a noticeable but minor shudder. As others have said, it's pretty much normal.

In general I find the startup shudder (from stop) to be very gentle, but happens about 30%-40% of the time. The shutdown shudder while stopped is a bit rougher, but only happens about 2% of the time. Startup and shutdown while in motion are usually always smooth.

Old 10-01-2007, 09:08 AM

The startup shudder is just the engine's natural emotional response to having to switch to using gasoline. The shutdown shudder is the engine's way of saying: "Thank goodness that's over!"

Old 10-01-2007, 04:16 PM
Inquiring Mind

Originally Posted by mikieboyblue
I have about 7000 miles on mine and it has had the first oil change. Sometimes I notice it more other times I do not. It may just be me. That said, I am sure there are differences between each car.

Unless it is very violent, I would assume it is normal. Maybe try another 07. I have an 07 so I cannot speak for the 08s.

That said, I have asked people (riding) if they can feel it. They say they cannot or they at least don't notice it. Did you and your wife feel it while riding or just while each of you were driving it? You will certainly feel it while driving it.

Mike
Hi Mike,
Thanks for your input . My wife and I felt it while I was driving. I was intentionally duplicating what made it shudder. A heavy foot on the accelerator diminished the effect somewhat. After test driving an '08 on Saturday, I think it was just that used '07. I'm not sure if something was wrong with it or not. I'd have to drive a lot more of them to figure that out but I think you're right in saying that it's going to varry from car-to-car.

Quick Reply: Engine Shudder From A Stop

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands