Finally - Playing DVD's on NAV center console!

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 03:44 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Finally - Playing DVD's on NAV center console!

I purchased the NAVTOOL for $250 and paid $60 for a pro shop install. Now, I can play dvd's with an optional portable dvd player with the video being displayed on the nav console. Audio plays through the existing speaker system. Completely plug-and-play using toyota connectors. Minimal cutting of wires - I was told they only cut the GPS feed wire to allow the playing of a dvd while in motion. While I will not use this feature for obvious safety reasons, it was installed with a switch which deactivates the GPS feed as to temporarily fool the system into thinking that the car is stationary and thus allow the DVD to play. It works flawlessly. I am extremely pleased with the performance and installation. When I eventually trade in my '07 TCH, I will be able to port the NAVTOOL to my next new TCH, provided the new TCH connectors are not changed and there is no factory dvd option.

Old 02-23-2009, 04:16 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Finally - Playing DVD's on NAV center console!

OK so now you have this all setup, but you have no intention of using it when the car is moving.

What is the point?

You want to just sit in your car and watch videos or movies?

Makes no sense at all to me.

Old 02-23-2009, 04:31 PM
Active Enthusiast

I won't watch it, but my grandkids wil love it!

Old 02-24-2009, 04:58 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sooty
What is the point?

You want to just sit in your car and watch videos or movies?

Makes no sense at all to me.
I'll try and keep this clean, but one doesn't have to think too hard to find the benefit of sitting in a parked car and watching videos.
One might be with a traveling companion, it might be late at night and ...
Ah heck, use your imagination!

Old 02-24-2009, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by haroldo
I'll try and keep this clean, but one doesn't have to think too hard to find the benefit of sitting in a parked car and watching videos.
One might be with a traveling companion, it might be late at night and ...
Ah heck, use your imagination!
Ha!

Old 02-24-2009, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by nyceshirtz
I purchased the NAVTOOL for $250 and paid $60 for a pro shop install. Now, I can play dvd's with an optional portable dvd player with the video being displayed on the nav console. Audio plays through the existing speaker system. Completely plug-and-play using toyota connectors. Minimal cutting of wires - I was told they only cut the GPS feed wire to allow the playing of a dvd while in motion. While I will not use this feature for obvious safety reasons, it was installed with a switch which deactivates the GPS feed as to temporarily fool the system into thinking that the car is stationary and thus allow the DVD to play. It works flawlessly. I am extremely pleased with the performance and installation. When I eventually trade in my '07 TCH, I will be able to port the NAVTOOL to my next new TCH, provided the new TCH connectors are not changed and there is no factory dvd option.
Very cool!

Old 02-24-2009, 08:21 AM
Active Enthusiast

I won't watch it, but my grandkids wil love it!
So you're going to send your grandkids out to sit in the car and watch movies?

Or you going to turn it on while driving the grandkids someplace and let them watch while you drive? And you promise not to watch?

Either scenario doesn't seem to make a lot of sense.

Wouldn't it have been better to install some sort of DVD player mounted to the back of the seats, for the grandkids to watch?

Old 02-24-2009, 11:24 AM
Active Enthusiast

If I were to mount a dvd player on the back of the seats, i am sure someone would post that it is too dangerous as it may come loose during a front, side or rear impact and could cause some damage... just take my post for its intended audience - to inform those that are interested that it is available and works ikn any whiich way you deem fit and necessary...

if you think it is a waste of money, fine, it's my money, not yours. if you think it causes a saftey issue, fine, dont install it. if you think its stupid, fine, if you dont care, move on. enough!

Last edited by nyceshirtz; 02-24-2009 at 11:26 AM.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:54 AM
Active Enthusiast

If I were to mount a dvd player on the back of the seats, i am sure someone would post that it is too dangerous as it may come loose during a front, side or rear impact and could cause some damage... just take my post for its intended audience - to inform those that are interested that it is available and works ikn any whiich way you deem fit and necessary...

if you think it is a waste of money, fine, it's my money, not yours. if you think it causes a saftey issue, fine, dont install it. if you think its stupid, fine, if you dont care, move on. enough!
One more post then I'm done.

I do think it poses a potential safety issue for you, your grandkids and/or for other drivers.

If you are lying and watching the screen while driving, big safety hazard to other drivers.

If your grandkids are in the back seat buckled into their car seats how do they get to see what's on the screen? If they are loose in the back seat then big safety issue for them in case of accident or hard braking.

There I'm done, don't bother replying I won't be reading it anyway.

Old 02-25-2009, 09:42 AM

Nice job NyceShirtz. I'm glad you got it to work and you'll get benefit from it!

Quick Reply: Finally - Playing DVD's on NAV center console!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands