Firestone refuses to service hybrids

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 01:34 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Firestone refuses to service hybrids

I spoke to a regional manager today. He told me that ALL firestones will refuse to service hybrids because "they can turn on by themselves". Probably a tech forgetting to turn the car off. Apparently 2 mechanics were injured while working on hybrids. He told me the best he can do is set up an appointment at another shop other than a firestone dealer. I guess its time to switch brands. Thanks for all the feedback.

Old 11-12-2007, 04:34 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ESFstevo
I spoke to a regional manager today. He told me that ALL firestones will refuse to service hybrids because "they can turn on by themselves". Probably a tech forgetting to turn the car off. Apparently 2 mechanics were injured while working on hybrids. He told me the best he can do is set up an appointment at another shop other than a firestone dealer. I guess its time to switch brands. Thanks for all the feedback.
Well this might be a blessing in disguise. Do you really want a tech working on your car that had no clue how to shut it off? You would think they could give some simple training to the techs.

When I went to a quick oil change shop (because Toyota cranks on the oil filter to hard and I couldn't get it off without a lift), only one guy knew how to handle the hybrid and I moved it long the line for them and gave them all a little education. I watched one guy try for 5 minutes attempting to start it.

Old 11-12-2007, 09:38 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ESFstevo
I went to a Firestone today to get a price on a set of Blizzak snow tires. When the clerk asked me what car it was for he got his manager who told me as a company rule, they cannot install tires on any hybrid car. The best he could do is sell me the tires to take to Toyota to install. Has anyone had this problem where they are refused service because they drive a hybrid??
I took my TCH to Jiffy Lube for a quick oil change. Been dealing with this particular store for years. Anyway, they told me they couldn't do it because of the possibility of electrocution from the hybrid batteries. I didn't even try the Firestone by my house. I just went straight to the dealer.

Old 11-12-2007, 10:02 PM
Enthusiast

So now we are reduced to getting ripped off by the dealer when we need work done?

Old 11-12-2007, 10:31 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by finbib
I took my TCH to Jiffy Lube for a quick oil change. Been dealing with this particular store for years. Anyway, they told me they couldn't do it because of the possibility of electrocution from the hybrid batteries. I didn't even try the Firestone by my house. I just went straight to the dealer.
I know this a left leaning forum, but it sounds like electrocution would have served the Jiffy Lube Guy well

Old 11-13-2007, 04:27 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

Originally Posted by wdmark
I know this a left leaning forum, but it sounds like electrocution would have served the Jiffy Lube Guy well
Kind of a "culling of the herd" thing?

Old 11-13-2007, 05:57 AM
Enthusiast

I can't even imagine how you could get electrocuted by changing the oil. Does the Jiffy Lube oil change procedure include taking the covers off the batteries and licking the terminals? Sounds like a good reason to avoid that Jiffy Lube.

Old 11-13-2007, 07:03 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rspaight
I can't even imagine how you could get electrocuted by changing the oil. Does the Jiffy Lube oil change procedure include taking the covers off the batteries and licking the terminals? Sounds like a good reason to avoid that Jiffy Lube.
So it seems like ignorance is the operative word of the day here. I guess it shouldn't be too surprising, given that the media hardly ever gets its facts straight about hybrids, and was raising a cry about the hazards to emergency personnel for a while.

I suppose we just need patience on our part. As the number of hybrids increases over time, virtually all shops providing routine service WILL need to learn to deal with them. Until then, it will be hit-or-miss I'm afraid.

I seem to remember a similar thing happening back when the first electronic control units (computers) were appearing on some models. Some shops refused to even look at them because they had no idea how to deal with them, and (in that case) lacked the proper tools for the job. They just sent you back to the dealer. Today, nobody bats an eye at multiple computers under the hood.

This, too, shall pass.

Old 11-13-2007, 09:32 AM
Enthusiast

Our local independent Toyota shop will do routine maintenance on hybrids, but won't work on the hybrid stuff itself. Which seems reasonable until they can get trained on it (and I don't know what Toyota's policy is on training independents on hybrid service -- they're probably in no hurry to divert business from the dealers).

Old 11-13-2007, 10:07 AM
Old Boomer Techie
Wink Re: Firestone refuses to service hybrids

Originally Posted by finbib
I took my TCH to Grease Monkey because I didn't want to hassle with it and had no problems. They have been doing my wife's Subaru for a long time. When I called and told them that it was a hybrid, he said 'No problem, but if you want 0W-20 synthetic you need to bring it with you because all we can get from Corporate is 5W-20. But if you bring it in, we will do the change for you." They had the oil filter (Purolator I think, or maybe Wix, but a good one). I ask why they knew about hybrids, and -- get this -- their corporate franchiser TRAINS them.

What a concept!

They actually know how to start my TCH and move it onto the rack.
They checked/set the tires at 40/38 for me as requested.
Drained and replaced the oil with 4.5 quarts of 0W-20 that I supplied (and gave me the half quart back).
They knew enough to check for the other 5K service items and reported on them. Also the usual washer fluids, coolant and wiper checks along with an interior vacuum job.
They STAPLED their signed receipt into my Toyota service book on the page for the 5K service.

I was impressed... and I will go back, too.

Quick Reply: Firestone refuses to service hybrids

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands