Fix A Flat

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 09:06 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Fix A Flat

So, my tire pressure light has been coming on a lot lately, and I think there might be a slow leak in one of my tires.

Does anyone know if we can use Fix A Flat on the factory Michelin tires?

Old 04-25-2007, 10:08 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Fix A Flat

Originally Posted by ginway
So, my tire pressure light has been coming on a lot lately, and I think there might be a slow leak in one of my tires.

Does anyone know if we can use Fix A Flat on the factory Michelin tires?

I've heard that you can't use this because of the tire pressure monitoring system inside the tire. I would advise against using it...

Last edited by tnsig; 04-25-2007 at 10:22 AM.
Old 04-25-2007, 05:16 PM
Active Enthusiast

I would not use fix-a-flat unless you are in the middle of nowhere. This stuff will destroy your rim and some places will not even work a car rim is this was used.

Old 04-25-2007, 05:34 PM
Enthusiast

ginway,

You don't list enough info here. When the light comes on do you find a tire that is low? If you have a tire that continues to go down, you have a hole in it and it will need to be fixed. Also, remember that your spare has a pressure sensor as well, so you may need to add some air to it if the other 4 tires are good. If all 5 tires are close to correct, you may need to calibrate the system. The process is talked about it in your manual, but you may want your dealer to do this if you aren't comfortable. My understanding is that the pressure sensor IS the valve stem, and not in the rim. Anyone else have any thoughts?

Brian

Old 04-26-2007, 11:22 AM
SPL
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

The sensor electronics are inside the rim, but are part of the molded rubber valve assembly. That's why trying to remove the valve assembly from outside the rim (as many tire shops do) will destroy it. (They presumably know better by now!) Likewise, any tire repair liquids injected inside the tire could damage the assembly, and shouldn't be used.

Stan

Old 04-27-2007, 09:40 PM
Enthusiast

The manual clearly says not to use repair liquid.

Old 04-29-2007, 06:17 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

Originally Posted by Chumley
... Also, remember that your spare has a pressure sensor as well, so you may need to add some air to it if the other 4 tires are good. If all 5 tires are close to correct, ...
The spare has a sensor? First time I heard that. Since it's a compact spare and has about 60psi in it would the pressure monitoring system even handle it? The Pre-Delivery Service Bulletin PD019-06 dated March 17,2006 only references 4 transmitters. I know the system CAN handle a 5th but my guess is that's in case Toyota ever offers a full sized spare which at this time they don't.

Last edited by schmidtj; 04-29-2007 at 06:22 AM.
Old 04-29-2007, 06:30 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

Originally Posted by schmidtj
The spare has a sensor? First time I heard that. Since it's a compact spare and has about 60psi in it would the pressure monitoring system even handle it? The Pre-Delivery Service Bulletin PD019-06 dated March 17,2006 only references 4 transmitters. I know the system CAN handle a 5th but my guess is that's in case Toyota ever offers a full sized spare which at this time they don't. PD007-06 which only applies to conventional 07 Camry's specifically says a transmitter is NOT used in a compact spare.

Old 04-29-2007, 09:47 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I've also heard that flat repair goop will collect at the bottom of the tire when the car is parked and may cause the tire to be out of balance once you get moving. At first I thought this was dumb, but then realized mounted tire weights are usually an ounce or so, and you may end up with much more tire goop than that, so I think it makes sence. I have used Fix-A-Flat successfully on a wheelbarrow and lawn tractor, where 4 MPH is break-neck speeds, so tire balance is less of a concern.

Old 04-29-2007, 02:24 PM
Enthusiast

The spare has a sensor? First time I heard that. Since it's a compact spare and has about 60psi in it would the pressure monitoring system even handle it? The Pre-Delivery Service Bulletin PD019-06 dated March 17,2006 only references 4 transmitters. I know the system CAN handle a 5th but my guess is that's in case Toyota ever offers a full sized spare which at this time they don't. PD007-06 which only applies to conventional 07 Camry's specifically says a transmitter is NOT used in a compact spare.

OK - I stand corrected. My dealer told me that there were 5 and I never looked. I just checked and it has a molded rubber valve stem whereas the 4 main tires have metal ones. It appears that there are, in fact only 4. I don't expect the delivery guy would know everything about every model, but he also told me with certainty that the "auto" function of the headlight switch was only for the daytime running lights. And I knew that wasn't right. I guess I better check out everything else he told me

Quick Reply: Fix A Flat

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands