FOB Proximity detection - failed?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 05:30 AM
Currency-to-hydrocarbons
Default Re: FOB Proximity detection - failed?

Originally Posted by tnsig
Were you wearing gloves when this happened? In the manual it says that if you are wearing gloves the 'sensor' on the door handle may not work or may take longer to recognize you are grabbing the door handle. I also wonder if there may have been a think layer of ice or condensation on the door handle...just a thought.
No ice - no gloves - Heated parking area. I have noticed that it does take only a half-heartbeat longer to recognize me and unloack when I am wearing gloves though. I read in the manual that this is common behavior.

Old 01-25-2007, 05:32 AM
Currency-to-hydrocarbons

What kind of time period are we talking about when you are trying to unlock the door after pushing the lock button twice? If we are talking about "seconds" then that may be the problem. I thought I read in the manual that after pushing the lock button you can't unlock the car for a certain number of second...maybe 5?

If we are talking minutes or hours after pressing the lock button twice then I haven't a clue
Minutes.. I know there's like a 30 second time lag between when you can push the button and have the proximity detection allow you back in. Still clueless as to why it functions the way it does occassionally. It worked just fine this morning too..

Old 01-25-2007, 05:40 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Big-Foot
Minutes.. I know there's like a 30 second time lag between when you can push the button and have the proximity detection allow you back in. Still clueless as to why it functions the way it does occassionally. It worked just fine this morning too..

Hmmm...then I'm not sure why that is Randy. I'll have try that when my car comes in and see if I yield the same results...

Old 01-25-2007, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by Big-Foot
No ice - no gloves - Heated parking area. I have noticed that it does take only a half-heartbeat longer to recognize me and unloack when I am wearing gloves though. I read in the manual that this is common behavior.

Then that's baffling. Do you remember if you had your cell phone "close" by...maybe in the same pocket or on a belt clip on the same side of your body? Maybe there was some interference with that?

Old 01-25-2007, 06:06 AM

I think the unlocking problem you are talking about might be a built in security feature? Meaning it's designed to work that way. For example, if I'm in our CRV with the car running or in 'drive' my wife can't use her 'remote' to unlock or lock the car. Sounds like the FOB works the same way...
I think you are right, I just wanted to point it out so people would not confuse it with the system not working right. It is the only time that it consistantly does not unluck.

Old 01-25-2007, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by FL07THC
I think you are right, I just wanted to point it out so people would not confuse it with the system not working right. It is the only time that it consistantly does not unluck.
Got it! Thanks for the clarification

Old 01-25-2007, 09:21 AM
Currency-to-hydrocarbons

Then that's baffling. Do you remember if you had your cell phone "close" by...maybe in the same pocket or on a belt clip on the same side of your body? Maybe there was some interference with that?
Cell phone is actually a combo PDA Cell Phone (Treo 700P) that is ever resident in my shirt pocket. Not really near the FOB at all.

The other reason I know that the proximity detection failed is that the interior lights in the car always start to glow whenever the FOB is near. They did not glow at all on the occassions that it would not unlock.

Old 07-25-2007, 06:43 PM
Enthusiast

I just had the same thing happen to me today with my two week old 50th anniversary special edition. I got to the car, had the keys in my hand, the inside of the car glowed but there was a noticeable delay in the unlock. I had to stand there for a good 30 seconds before it recognized to unlock. Anyone had any resolutions with this?