View Poll Results: Do you use your whole foot or just the upper (toes) part to depress the gas pedal?
Mostly whole foot
18.75%
Mostly toes
62.50%
Both
18.75%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

[gas pedal] Whole foot or just toes?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 07:44 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default [gas pedal] Whole foot or just upper foot?

Do you use your whole foot or just the upper part when depressing the gas pedal?

Last edited by mikieboyblue; 12-05-2007 at 08:40 AM.
Old 12-05-2007, 08:13 AM
Default Re: [gas pedal] Whole foot or just toes?

Isn't it dangerous to use only toes or (if you are wearing a shoe) the top of the shoe? In an emergency or dangerous maneuver it could slip off. I hope we don't get too many "toe" votes.

Old 12-05-2007, 08:22 AM

By mostly toes, I take that to mean the front half of my foot, with my heel resting on the floor, rather than putting my whole foot up on the pedal. I find I have much more control using the "mostly toes" method.

Old 12-05-2007, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by rmorrow
By mostly toes, I take that to mean the front half of my foot, with my heel resting on the floor, rather than putting my whole foot up on the pedal.
Yes. That is what I am referring to.

'When comfort is concerned, I find that if my whole foot is on the pedal my heel feels better. If I want to achieve the best control I default to using the upper part of my foot. That puts me in a "both" category. I really wish my foot wouldn't hurt when I used just my toes. (The problem is, I have to put the seat close to have a decent arm length to the steering wheel but then my legs are a little cramped.)

Last edited by mikieboyblue; 12-05-2007 at 08:44 AM.
Old 12-05-2007, 09:14 AM
Old Boomer Techie
Post Re: [gas pedal] Whole foot or just toes?

I wish Toyota would come up with a 'non-linear' pedal so that the first 1/4 to 1/3 of the pedal had more travel to permit finer adjustments of power demand. Anyone driving for FE spends most of the time with the pedal in this zone, and it is somewhat difficult with boots or winter shoes to keep the pedal position fine enough. Even if your heel is on the floor, a heavier shoe wants to 'roll' to one side or the other. I find that I need to periodically 'reset" my foot on the pedal.

When I am going any distance, I change into some lightweight low-cut boots with very thin soles like those that rally drivers wear in Europe. They are slipons, so the overhead of changing shoes is not too bad.

Last edited by FastMover; 12-05-2007 at 09:16 AM.
Old 12-06-2007, 05:07 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FastMover
I wish Toyota would come up with a 'non-linear' pedal...
Not me. I intuitively expect a linear one, so please do not change mine.

Old 12-06-2007, 05:18 AM

If they were to go the route of designing a non-linear travel for the pedal, it would be no big deal to make it switchable between linear and non-linear to suit personal preference.

Old 12-07-2007, 10:41 AM
Active Enthusiast

I want a pedal with active feedback. In other words, for the high-mpg zone it is very easy to press the pedal, and when you want/need the power/acceleration (and are willing to spend the gas) you have to press a little harder. This would also make it easier to keep the car in all-electric mode for that last mile home where there are slight inclines that I don't mind slowing down for.

Old 12-07-2007, 12:30 PM

Is this poll just for Camry drivers?

My two cents, in terms of foot/pedal usage: if more women were answering this poll, the first question that would be raised would be, what shoes are you wearing while driving? Personally, I have heels on much of my footwear (mostly boots, not crazy high spiked heels or anything, fortunately) and driving with the whole foot on the pedal is quite a different angle for my foot than it would be for a man. I have to raise my foot pretty high to ease off on the gas, and holding your ankle in that position for hours is tough on long trips. Generally, on my commute to work I brace the heel and use it as a pivot for most of my motion. It can be awkward- one more way in which men have it easier than we do. On the other hand, wearing these shoes has probably given me stronger calf muscles, which might actually aid me in my quest for better technique when feathering the gas pedal.

Old 12-07-2007, 12:36 PM

dumb question, but why not keep a comfortable driving shoe in the car and change back to your heel when you are done driving?

Quick Reply: [gas pedal] Whole foot or just toes?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands