"Headlights On" Warning

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 04:56 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: "Headlights On" Warning

Not to be snide, but do you also leave off the radio and climate control to save fuel? DRLs have been proven to help your car be seen up to 2 seconds sooner than without them. As Orcrone says, they're to help YOU be seen more than helping you see. I always wonder if those drivers who wait until the last possible second to turn on their headlights think they're extending the headlights' life? I think that if other drivers don't see you quickly, you may be getting new headlights soon anyway.... Just my $0.02.

Old 11-02-2006, 08:05 AM
Active Enthusiast

[QUOTE=Orcrone]DRL's are only partially to help you see better. I think a bigger issue is helping you be seen better. On my commute I'm on 2 lane roads where you go from sun to driving under the trees. When you're in the sun and someone coming the other way is under the trees it's sometimes almost impossible to see them, especially on those sunny days. The DRLs probably do nothing for the driver in the car in the shade - his eyes are acclimated. However, to the other driver the DRLs on that car are the difference between seeing him clearly (or at least his DRLs) and not knowing he's there.[/QUOTE]

I remember reading probably 10 years ago that Grayhound Coach experimented with DRL's and found that they reduced their fleet accident rate significantly. I cannot remember the percentage now. As mentioned above they are to be seen more easily not to see.

DRL's are usually the main headlights at a reduced voltage so that they are not as bright as at night. The bulbs last longer and use less power than if you turned on the headlight switch, (which would also bring on the taillights of course).

Last edited by Paulgw; 11-02-2006 at 08:08 AM.
Old 11-02-2006, 08:13 AM
HSD Organic Interface

Just another bit of trivial info on DRLs, especially for Canadian drivers. Since DRLs are mandatory here, another safety feature that is also mandatory with DRLs is that if the signal indicator is close (I think its 110mm, not sure) to the DRL headlight, the DRL will actually shut off on the one side that the signal indicator is active, so that the light from the DRL does not hide the signal indicator light. Essentially, an oncoming driver will actually see the headlights wink on one side when the signal indicator is activated. Apparently this happens with Chrysler's a lot because of the headlight/indicator arrangment. I don't know if this feature is extended to the optional DRLs in the US.

Old 11-02-2006, 09:09 AM
Dazed and Confused

Originally Posted by bmgoodman
Not to be snide, but do you also leave off the radio and climate control to save fuel? DRLs have been proven to help your car be seen up to 2 seconds sooner than without them. As Orcrone says, they're to help YOU be seen more than helping you see. I always wonder if those drivers who wait until the last possible second to turn on their headlights think they're extending the headlights' life? I think that if other drivers don't see you quickly, you may be getting new headlights soon anyway.... Just my $0.02.
As a matter of fact, I do try to drive withe a/c off as much as possible. Not really that practical in Texas, and there are times that I do drive with the radio off, and just enjoy the scenery.

I personally don't care for DRLs, but I do understand there is a benifit. Here in Texas only about 5% of the cars on the road have them, and i would say that is an optimistic number. My biggest gripe is yes they do help you to be seen first, by the police. Now I don't plan to do anythin that would warrant the police needing to speek with me, but by the same token, I don't want to be noticed before everyone else. If all cars had DRLs, it would not be that much of an issue.

Oh, BTW, I do leave the switch in the auto position, so my hate of the DRLs is overpowered by my love of the auto feature.