Heat and the winter

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 06:30 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Heat and the winter

Has anybody noticed when stopped at a light with the heat on when temperatures are about 45 degrees or lower, with the engine shut off it starts back up afer about 1 minute. I assume that the car can not produce heat electronically and has to start up to circulate hot water through the coils. Let me know if anybody else has experienced this.

Old 11-22-2006, 07:34 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Heat and the winter

I've noticed if I switch from "ECO" mode, or back into "ECO" mode with the heat on, I can get the ICE to shut down when stopped. I don't know how/why this happens. Also, the ICE seems to come on with the heater on even if the engine has warmed up to the normal operating temperature.

I knew the air conditioner would affect my FE, but I never thought the same would be true of the heater.

Old 11-22-2006, 07:42 AM
Active Enthusiast

I have not noticed the engine coming on at a light with the air on at a stop, just the heat. You may be right, I may not have been fully warmed up, I will have to observe it. I have noticed the eco mode turning it's self off when I have not even filled the tank (hitting in error).

Old 11-22-2006, 07:57 AM
Active Enthusiast

Josh,

I didn't mean to imply that the engine was coming on while at a stop with the A/C on, only that I knew FE would suffer because of the extra strain the A/C puts on the engine.

Old 11-22-2006, 11:08 AM
Active Enthusiast

If the engine has JUST hit baseline warmth and you stop, the engine will come on because the temp will almost immediately drop below the trigger point. If it happens after you have been driving for a while, that might be something else. Also, from what I understand, the engine can also come on to power up various systems as needed, I beleive brakes fall in that category.

Old 11-22-2006, 01:19 PM
Active Enthusiast

I've found that if the car is still warming up and the engine stays on at a light I can just hit the off button for the climate control and the engine will immediately turns off. (I turn it back on when the engine comes on after leaving the light.)

Old 11-22-2006, 01:57 PM
Currency-to-hydrocarbons

Originally Posted by klynch
Josh,

I didn't mean to imply that the engine was coming on while at a stop with the A/C on, only that I knew FE would suffer because of the extra strain the A/C puts on the engine.
Actually the AC compressor does not put a strain on the engine directly as it does in most cars. There's no direct connection (belt) for the AC Compressor on a TCH. It is driven (always) via it's own electric motor. Hence the reason a TCH can run it's AC while in EV mode.

Old 11-23-2006, 08:09 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LouBeck
... I have noticed the eco mode turning it's self off when I have not even filled the tank (hitting in error).
Josh, I notice you're in NJ. I'm not sure how familiar you are with this, but just in case ...
If you turn temp to MAX heat (or MAX cold -- not a problem for you ), the ECO mode will be automatically disengaged. (The same is true if you turn on the front defroster.)

This may be what is causing the ECO to shut off.

Old 11-25-2006, 07:36 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

The heat in your car is pulled out of the engine. The heater core to be exact. Your antifreeze has to be up to temp for your heater to work. Your antifreeze is heated by the engine. When you use the heater you are pulling heat out of the antifreeze thus cooling it off. Once it gets too cool the ICE starts up to heat the antifreeze back up.
For more information http://auto.howstuffworks.com/cooling-system10.htm

If you ever have a car overheating ALWAYS turn the heat and fan on full blast. It will cool the antifreeze which inturn will cool the engine.

Personally I am shocked the the TCH does not have an electric heater. At some of the long lights here in town my engine has come on and off a few times with the heat set about 79 - 81.

Old 11-25-2006, 08:12 AM
Active Enthusiast

[quote=FL07THC;100195]The heat in your car is pulled out of the engine. The heater core to be exact. Your antifreeze has to be up to temp for your heater to work.

There is also a supplementary electric heater it's called a PTC heater, here is Toyota's description of it:-

"The PTC heater is installed in the radiator in the heater unit and operates when cooling water temperature is low and normal heater effectiveness is insufficient.
The air conditioning amplifier switches the circuit in the PTC relay and operates the PTC heater when the operating conditions (cooling water temperature is below 55°C (131°F), setting temperature is MAX. HOT, air outlet damper position is FOOT or FOOT/DEF, and blower switch is not OFF) are met.".

Here is more detailed information and a drawing:-

From this information is appears you should get more or less instant heat similar to turning on a hairdryer, although I can't say I've really noticed it!

Quick Reply: Heat and the winter

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands