Hellish oil change experience at Mossy Toyota

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 02:01 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Arrow Hellish oil change experience at Mossy Toyota

Right now I'm putting my good-natured personality on the back burner for a few minutes, while I vent my anger and try to get over my BAD experience trying to get an oil change at MOSSY TOYOTA in San Diego.

Leaving out many details, I have never been treated in such a rude and condescending manner by an automotive service department.

I requested a synthetic oil change, and asked what weight oil they used in hybrid vehicles. The advisor told me that they used only 10W-30 in ALL their vehicles, regardless of hybrid or not. He began to argue with me, arrogantly stating that I was wrong about oil weight had anything to do with fuel economy.

From page 347 of the owner's manual, which I looked up when I got home (I did NOT have the oil change done):

SAE 5W-20 engine oil may be used. However, SAE 0W-20 is the best choice for good fuel economy and good starting in cold weather.
There are no other recommended oil weights, and certainly not 10W-30.

Minutes ago, I called the Toyota national customer service number, and filed a formal case. The attendant stated that any Toyota dealer is not required to follow Toyota's oil recommendations for a vehicle. I replied that if dealers are putting heavier oil than recommended in hybrid vehicles, overall fuel economy will suffer and it will reflect badly on the vehicle. Many owners would not question the oil weight. Don't let this happen to you!

There, I'm done. Thanks for listening.

Old 08-30-2006, 02:10 PM
2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid
Default Re: Hellish oil change experience at Mossy Toyota

That is awful. Glad you filed a complaint. This same dealer would probably try to weasel out on an engine failure by claiming the warranty didn't apply because of using the non-recommended oil.

It makes me want to make sure my dealer uses the correct oil when I go in for an oil change. And it will make me watch them when they do it.

Old 08-30-2006, 02:34 PM

I suggest you bring your own oil with you in the future, and tell them to use what you gave them.

Also, I don't understand why they wouldn't go with 0W-20 when they could charge you more for it.

Old 08-30-2006, 02:41 PM

While I'm still on the war path, I decided to call back to Toyota's national customer service center (800-331-4331) and ask two questions:

Q: Could using an oil weight that is not recommended void my warranty?
A: Yes, if it were determined that any failure were due to the oil.

Q: Does Toyota Motor Corporation have control to require that a dealer use recommended oils?
A: Yes, I believe so. (The first call center attendant told absolutely NO.)

I believe that we, as a body of owners, need to get further clarity from Toyota regarding whether the dealer has a legal responsibility to provide recommended oil. This situtation is an eye-opener for me.

Old 08-30-2006, 02:45 PM
Arrow Re: Hellish oil change experience at Mossy Toyota

Livvie, I have free synthetic oil changes from this dealer, given to me to resolve improper PDI issues. Did I mention that the poor service dealer is MOSSY TOYOTA?

I will not buy oil that is due to me free, due to principles.

Old 08-30-2006, 03:36 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I would be livid as well. My husband's VW Jetta requires synthetic oil and I can't imagine the VW dealers we have gone to EVER putting anything but synthetic in it, especially because an oil change on the Jetta is AT LEAST $50.

I strongly recommend that in addition to your calls to Toyota that you speak with the serivce manager AND the customer relations manager at Mossy.

Old 08-30-2006, 04:06 PM
Active Enthusiast

Sorry to hear of your troubles Steve.

As mentioned before, I used to be a factory rep for Toyota, so you've definitely started things off correctly by calling the national number and starting a file.

From this point the escalation will most likely be that you receive a call from the dealership customer relations manager, as he or she will receive a printout of your complaint within the next few days. As per your normal demeanor, I would recommend that you explain your situation as calmly but firmly as possible (as you always do) and in the meantime think about what sort of outcome would get you back to the happy times. Meaning, do you want an apology, free oil change, free stuff, what...

Additionally, remember that the dealership and the 800# are not the last line of defense for an upset customer. San Diego should be in the LA Toyota Region, and at that regional office there is a Regional Customer Relations Manager whose job it is to stay on top of dealers that are receiving poor customer satisfaction scores. Those scores for both service and sales are quite a big hammer that the Region uses to keep it's dealerships in line, and a point (dealership) can be revoked should poor marks become chronic. The Region will also have a District Service Manager that covers the San Diego Metro, and his or her job is to keep tabs with the service managers of each dealership, monitor their customer labor sales figures as well as their proportion of warranty expenditures. It's not a common practice, but District Service Managers WILL meet with customers on a case by case basis, so that person may also be someone you should educate about Mossy's practices.

Bottom line: if you're not receiving the sort of outcome or satisfaction that you believe you should, if you need further escalation, request through both the 800# AND the dealership's customer relations manager that you speak with the Regional CRM and/or the District Service Manager covering San Diego. After all, you're doing them a service if a dealership under their supervision is executing improper oil changes.

Good luck and keep us posted.

** edit:
You seem to be very meticulous so I'm sure this doesn't need to be said, but: Although the Toyota customer service line will keep a computer based file on what you and they have discussed, you won't have access really to that information. The best plan is to always keep your own log of times/dates/contacts and subjects discussed so you can substantiate your position and plainly paint a picture of what the true events were.

Last edited by Eskimonio; 08-30-2006 at 04:23 PM.
Old 08-30-2006, 07:38 PM
Banned

Steve,

You definitely have a bone to pull with them - changing the oil is the most important maintainence practice to keeping a car running well (could go into great depth why...).

I normally change my own oil with Mobil One, so the cost is about what it would be paying the dealer to do conventional oil. Unfortunately, the dealer did it last and could not remove the oil filter this week. I think King Kong was still showing at that time.

I hope you get a good resolution when this is all over...

Old 08-30-2006, 08:04 PM
Active Enthusiast

That is why I never trusted/trust/will trust dealerships and I do my own oil changes and use 100% fully synthetic Mobil 1 oil 5W-30 for my 2006 Sienna LTD and will use Mobil 1 0W-20 100% fully synthetic for my future TCH...

Old 08-31-2006, 10:23 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by livvie
Also, I don't understand why they wouldn't go with 0W-20 when they could charge you more for it.
Probably don't have it "in the drum" since 10W-30 is pretty standard for most cars. Too much work to go get the proper stuff from the other room.

I find it interesting that the recommend weight for a TCH is 5W20 or 0W20. The recommended weight for a Prius is 5W30. I know because it is RIGHT ON THE OIL FILL CAP. If the grease monkey (as opposed to a knowledgable service tech) can't remember what to use, it should be pretty obvious.

Quick Reply: Hellish oil change experience at Mossy Toyota

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands