Hellish oil change experience at Mossy Toyota

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 01:50 PM
MPG FANATIC WITH GUZZLERS
Default 10/30 isn't 1st choice for any new car.

Wow,
I'm surprised because 10W30 isn't the 1st choice-in the manual- on any new car I've have seen in the last 5 years.5w30 and now 5W20 are the 1st choice oils in all new car manuals.
Does anyone know of a recent car-not a diesel or a truck-that calls for 10W30 as the 1st choice??
What a DF! Charlie

Old 08-31-2006, 10:18 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Arrow Re: Hellish oil change experience at Mossy Toyota

Just wanted to add a reference link regarding the greenhybrid post on Toyota's interesting-sounding new 0W-20 synthetic motor oil.

Post re: Toyota's new 0W-20 synthetic motor oil.

Update to my issue: I have an appointment for my oil change at the same dealer on Saturday. The customer relations woman from the dealer is coming in on her day off to supervise the process. She informed me today that their dealership will now routinely stock 0W-20 oil for Camry Hybrid customers. I was given six free oil changes with synthetic oil.

Old 09-01-2006, 04:20 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Hellish oil change experience at Mossy Toyota

I am glad to hear that they are going to do something to make up for their previous bad behavior.

Old 09-01-2006, 04:55 AM
Olde Farte
Default Re: 10/30 isn't 1st choice for any new car.

Originally Posted by phoebeisis
Does anyone know of a recent car-not a diesel or a truck-that calls for 10W30 as the 1st choice??
Yes, the Honda S2000. Also, the GM 3.8L engines did for many years, but I don't know if they still do or not (last I owned was a '99).

Old 09-01-2006, 07:12 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 10/30 isn't 1st choice for any new car.

Originally Posted by phoebeisis
Wow,
I'm surprised because 10W30 isn't the 1st choice-in the manual- on any new car I've have seen in the last 5 years.5w30 and now 5W20 are the 1st choice oils in all new car manuals.
What a DF! Charlie
What can I say? We only get new cars every 9-10 years or so. My '04 Prius is the first new car I've seen since 1997, guess I'm living/remembering the dark ages Heck, 10W40 used to be standard when I was younger (and living in CA).

Old 09-01-2006, 07:54 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

Just for grins I called my dealer.
They use 5W-20 Non-Synthetic.
Since this is a recommended viscosity I'm satisfied.
J

Old 09-01-2006, 02:03 PM
WVGasGuy

I believe most owners manual describes temperature conditions for specific grade oils, and they usually overlap. It seems several years ago they started recommending the lighter grade oils (for EPA milage?) , but usually I've seen that the 10W-30 is an acceptable grade for most temperature applications. Did they give up long term "better" protection for 0.1 mpg????

Anyway, I follow their recommendation, but can't say I trust them.

Old 09-02-2006, 10:53 PM

Passed 5,000 miles today, and now running with Mobil 1. Can't wait to see tremendous mileage gains! The customer relations manager at Mossy Toyota failed to show up to meet me today, as promised. <Yawn>

Old 09-05-2006, 09:09 PM

Ever since my oil change, my mileage is about 33.5 MPG, around 3-4 MPG less than my average. Even in areas where I would expect 38-40 MPG, I'm getting under 35. Nothing else has changed. Do you think the service department may have pulled a fast one on me to get even?

Old 09-06-2006, 04:12 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

With all due respect ...
I'm not really sure it's such a good idea to switch to Synthetic too quickly.
You realy need to wait until the car is totally broken in. Expecially getting the rings seated.
The TCH's ICE runs much less of the time than a conventional ICE. I have to believe the break-in period might be a tad longer because of this.
J

Quick Reply: Hellish oil change experience at Mossy Toyota

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands