High-pitched squeal

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 06:34 PM
Convert
Default Re: High-pitched squeal

Originally Posted by spiff72
I think you might be thinking of the "clunk" rather than a squeal.

For those that hear the squeal, are you sure it isn't the regenerative braking "whine"? This is the only thing I have heard that might be thought of as a squeal, but I have heard this when driving down the road - not in the garage. Just a thought...
Good thought, but it's a different sound from the regen brake sound. Much higher pitched, IMO.

Old 07-17-2006, 07:02 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WVGasGuy
Possibly your rotors got wet?
No. Although we've had some pretty bad thunderstorms at times we've also had a number of days without any rain. It only seems to be when I'm backing out of the garage. Very low speed so I doubt the regenerative braking system is being utilized. I like TKCamry's explanation, but I don't know why it doesn't do it while I'm going forward. Could just be that I ease into the garage with my foot off the gas & brake.

Old 07-18-2006, 08:18 PM
Active Enthusiast

I hear the "squeek" too when backing out of my garage in the morning.

It is not the regenerative braking - below about 7 MPH only the friction brakes are used. (The regenerative brakes have a different sound - an "electrical" type whine)

Old 07-19-2006, 08:37 AM
Active Enthusiast

For years my current Toyota's brakes have squeeked with the car's first backup out of the garage. Then that's the end of it for the day. I've always figured the sound was moisture or temperature related. Since it's never lasted or got worse, I don't worry about it.

Old 07-19-2006, 08:40 AM
HSD Organic Interface
Talking Re: High-pitched squeal

A fix?

Attached Files
File Type: zip
TSB-134023.zip (41.0 KB, 115 views)
Old 07-19-2006, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by Droid13
A fix?
Good one. I'll have to bring it to my local Toyota dealer and ask them to install it.

Old 11-15-2006, 04:47 AM
Active Enthusiast

TCH Brake Squeak. Thanks to the poster in this forum regarding the brake squeak when in reverse at low speeds, the TSB provided below, helped my dealer not only order the correct parts for my service appt., but even told them how to apply the TSB and how long it would take. I have the distinct feeling that my dealer had NO IDEA about this problem until I brought the TSB to their attention. The squeal was persistent every morning when backing out of the garage. Hopefully, this will solve the problem and I will post an update to let everyone know if it did.

Old 11-15-2006, 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by WillyBill
TCH Brake Squeak. Thanks to the poster in this forum regarding the brake squeak when in reverse at low speeds, the TSB provided below, helped my dealer not only order the correct parts for my service appt., but even told them how to apply the TSB and how long it would take. I have the distinct feeling that my dealer had NO IDEA about this problem until I brought the TSB to their attention. The squeal was persistent every morning when backing out of the garage. Hopefully, this will solve the problem and I will post an update to let everyone know if it did.
I have noticed that my brakes squeak at low speeds when I am moving forward (at a drive thru for example - where the building reflects the sound back to the car).

Could this be the same issue?

Old 11-15-2006, 05:12 AM
Active Enthusiast

My uneducated guess is yes it could be. Since the replacement part is a spacer of sorts, I would guess it may prevent squeaks in any direction. The only time I ever heard it was in reverse, but doesn't mean that it is not the same problem. Regardless, I would have your dealer apply the TSB simply because the brakes shouldn't squeak in a new 30,000 vehicle!

Old 11-15-2006, 05:43 PM
Active Enthusiast

This TSB is a joke, right?

Quick Reply: High-pitched squeal

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands