Highway milage on Camry hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 10:27 AM
JBF
Enthusiast
Default Re: Highway milage on Camry hybrid

Just completed a 1200 mile highway trip, varying speed between 62 and 75. First 600 miles averaging 66 using cruise control got about 44.5 MPG. Last 600 miles at 73 on cruise control--42.5 MPG. Both obviously better than the 38 highway per the government test. Consistent with many other comments on this site, I would say that that figure is too low, especially since it is supposed to include a lot of 47-65 MPH driving.

Old 08-30-2006, 11:14 AM
Enthusiast

Second tank. Princeton NJ to Burlington VT. Avg. 42.5 mpg. Mild hills, mostly hiway except for start and finish suburban traffic, about half with A/C. Car drove like a dream, nav system was a kick. I LOVE THIS CAR!! Daily 25-mile commute (suburban traffic, many stops, crazy NJ drivers) is also much better than I expected: avg. generally about 39-40 mpg round trip, best so far was 43.5 mpg. w/o A/C.

Old 08-30-2006, 11:44 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

Originally Posted by JOE540CI
I would really like to know if anyone has taken a long road trip and checked HWY milage. I am thinking of buying a camhy and any info would be helpful. I have had 28+ mpg on a 1600 mile trip in my 2wd hihy when i first bought it..JOE
If all you do is highway driving you won't be getting as much of a benefit than if you do more city driving.
I get 35+ with the wife's '07 XLE-V6 (yes V6) versus a tad over 40 with my TCH.
The XLE-V6 is a nicer road machine IMHO in that at highway speeds it is much more responsive for passing and merging and the engine seems quieter.
The TCH is certainly "good enough" but the XLE is just "better" with only a 5mpg "ding" on the highway.
J

Old 08-30-2006, 03:50 PM
joe540ci

Now that the wife started to take the camry too and from work everyday,about 7 miles each way the milage on this latest tank is around 35.5. Thats worse than we had before She got the job. Does anyone drive about this much every day??? If so what is your MPG average on this type and size trips??? JOE (I should start a city milage post)

Old 08-30-2006, 07:32 PM
Veracitorian Muser

My wife does mostly 2-4 mile trips and averages 32-34 MPH. On longer trips, we easily get 36-38, with well over 40 on long freeway trips. Unfortunately, most of the miles are short hops for us. We are, however, very pleased, as the previous Camry V6 rarely got over 17 MPG with the same driving!

-- Alan

Old 08-30-2006, 08:46 PM
Active Enthusiast

Took a 151 mile trip over hilly terrain last weekend...40 mpg for the trip up (did it in one 'sitting') It was warm so had the A/C on the entire time but forgot about the button by the left knee (even have forgotten it's name!)

Filled up tonight...462.8 miles, 12.7 gallons, readout showed 37.4 mpg, calculated was 36.5. Probably 3/4 of this was highway, the rest was short local trips.

VERY PLEASED!

Old 08-31-2006, 07:17 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I think virtually everyone is getting better hwy than city mileage in the TCH.

I'm not sure what that says about the 4th generation HSD system. Have they scaled back the EV mode scenarios so much to protect the longevity of the battery? Or is the 3300 pound TCH just too heavy for the battery to be used effectively at lower speeds? Does the Pulse and Glide not work so well on the TCH, or are just not enough people trying it? Will the City efficiency improve over time after the engine break-in is done?

Very interesting development which provokes questions.....

Those of you who want better City mileage can try the 34 MPH sweetspot: I have noticed that even with a non-warmed up engine, locking down at 34 miles per hour with the cruise on seems to consistently deliver 40 MPG on a flat road.

Old 08-31-2006, 07:33 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

Originally Posted by lars-ss
I think virtually everyone is getting better hwy than city mileage in the TCH.

On what do you base this? I get darn good mileage in the city. As in 40mpg give or take. BTW this is what I see on the road too.
(snip)

Old 08-31-2006, 08:08 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Well, my personal best stretch was a highway run from El Paso to Phoenix with two kids and proably about 200 pounds of luggage and gear, and I achieved 42.75 MPG.

My normal commute is around town, and I do everything I can to get EV mode and hypermile, and I rarely EVER get over 38 MPG.

Here are some quotes from owners:

Last week she drove to Bresden Ohio from Central WV. Not really any steep areas, just rolling hills until you get to Ohio. I would estimate 30% hills and 70% relatively flat cruising at 70 mph. She got 39.91 mpg on that trip. Driving locally I had been getting about 38.5mpg. I live near a small town and don't use this for commuting so I don't realize the advantages of adding a lot of city milage in the overall average.
My tank mileage said 35.7 mpg, I do a lot of short (<2miles) trips during work days. It took 14.2 gallons to fill, although the yellow gas light came already and the remaining range was 14 miles. Just for fun, after I filled up I drove 75 miles on flat (minimal ups and downs) road, no AC, windows up- and the tank mileage was 40.9 mpg on the screen, my average speed being 57 mpg.
When I drive on highways, I do get milage in the 40s range, which is great. However, when driving in downtown Montreal, which (to me) is similar to driving in Manhattan, trip milage can be anything between 25 and 40. It all depends on how often green traffic lights let you coast in EV mode.
I have had my TCH for about three weeks now. Have only been running short trips to the store etc. and getting about 35-36mpg. Yesterday took a bit longer day trip to Newport RI and tried to see what kind of mileage I could achieve. I was amazed, I averaged 44.5MPG going and returned at 43.5mpg. It was only a trip of 40 miles but it showed me what this car can do. Quite a car!
Overall I find that achieving the highway EPA estimates is quite easy. I can't say the same for city driving. It takes some work and dedication in the city to get close to EPA estimates and if you are on a road with where there is a light at every corner and lots of stopping and starting, it will be difficult to achieve.
First tank all city: 34.7mpg with ECO air on always. Took first highway trip and managed to get 37.8 mpg using cruise control all the time and ECO Air conditioner setting on constantly. The computer read 39mpg on that highway trip...computer was off a little.
I have just driven my new hybrid for about 100 miles. From my experience, it is easy to get 38+ mpg on freeway driving at 65 mph but I can only get about 26 mpg on city driving even with light foot on the gas pedal.
Short trips are a killer because the cataylic converter never gets heated up. Sometimes I drive only a mile or two for several trips and will get 26-28. After the first oil change 1100 miles I took a 70 mile trip 65mph /w A/C on the interstate Richmond to Charlottesville and got 43 mpg.
We're on our second week with our TCH. We also got low 26mpg on our local trips. But we logged 41+ on highway. Our actual mpg for our 1st tank with 1/3 highway, was just under 30 mpg. To clarify our "city" driving, it is my wife driving like a typical "soccer mom" driving 10 minutes to each dropoff/pickup. The computer readout displays in the low 30's when we drive longer than 15 or so minutes.
The average economy on our first tank was 39.2 MPG. So far the second tank is running right at 38 MPG, though most of it has been in town, while the first tank was almost all highway miles.
If you run the A/C and drive mostly city streets, expect 35mpg or so with the TCH. Frequent stoping at lights and stop signs brings down the mileage. If you drive mostly highway, you could see 38 to 40mpg.
So no, not EVERY SINGLE PERSON is getting higher hwy than city, but it is becoming apparent to me from reading tons of posts that MANY people are finding it easier to get good hwy MPG and not so easy to keep it going on city driving.

Only time will tell for sure. Maybe this is a break-in thing.

Old 08-31-2006, 08:12 AM
Enthusiast

I am driving my TCH most for commute, 30 miles one way, 80% highway with speed btw 60mi ~ 70mi/hr, my first tank is 37mpg, now I am on my 2nd tank, I am at 41mpg so far.

I agree that I am getting better milage highway drive than local and longer trips better than shorter trips. But I suspect that the good highway milage partly due to the better driving pattern, for which even the none HV car can benefit from doing the same. The multi-function & mpg displays do help a lot. They make me much better driver than I was before.

Anyway, I love my TCH. It rocks!

Quick Reply: Highway milage on Camry hybrid

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands