ICE shutdown question

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 08:24 AM
Enthusiast
Default ICE shutdown question

I have noticed lately when stopped at a light and the ICE is running and then shuts down. the ICE shuts off with a shake or jolt. The car used to be very smooth and you could only tell the ICE shut down by the drop of the needle of the consumption meter. Although the rough shut down does not happen all the time it is much more frequent than before. I would like to know if others have experienced this or not. It may be the cold (winter)weather, but I really don't thinks so. Any input would be appreciated.

Old 02-20-2008, 10:58 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: ICE shutdown question

I will say I think the shutdown when going into "full hybrid" mode may be a little more noticable than the quick warmed-up shutdown. I can't say if this is what's going on, but it's a possibility. Pay attention to whether the car is shutting down right away, or if it takes a good 7 seconds for it to shut down, when it does the "rough shut down". If it's only doing it after the car's warmed up and it takes a solid 7 seconds or so for the rough shutdown, it may be something different about how it does the shutdown when kicking over to "full hybrid".

Old 02-20-2008, 11:39 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I am not sure how loud or noticable the shutdown is but........it is going to be somewhat of a noise or jolt when the ICE does shutdown.........i notice it and usually it's not bad but the cold may have something to do with it as well.

Old 02-20-2008, 04:33 PM
Enthusiast

I notice mine too, and so does my boyfriend when he's in the passenger seat. I just thought that's what it did! I have never had it shut down smoothly....but then again I've only had it for just over a month....I'll keep an eye on it and see if it differs in the summer.

It's been pretty nice up here the last week or so, about +10C, but that's definitely not summer weather yet!

Old 02-23-2008, 12:48 PM
Pragmatist

I notice my ICE both when it stops and when it starts, more than I did when I first got the car. I don't believe the car is actually doing anything different. I think I am just more aware of what it is doing, and so I notice it more than I did in the beginning.