Importing a Camry

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 11:51 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Importing a Camry

As the Camry is built in the USA, I thought that there was no 6% duty applied when bringing it across the border due to NAFTA.

Old 06-10-2007, 01:39 PM
SPL
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

beng — You may be right. When I checked in May 2006, all the TCHs were being imported from Japan. What I found out was that the duty rate on imported passenger cars from anywhere in the world (other than the USA?) was ~6%.

Stan

Old 06-11-2007, 11:55 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ag4ever
I don't understand why you would need to cut a wire.

The DRL Off position is just the all off position for the lights.

Leave the switch in the auto mode, and you have DRL and regular lights in low light level situations.

Maybee just scrape the DRL from the stalk so it only reads OFF.
SPL explained it well after your post. We can't have a DRL OFF switch in Canada.

Old 06-11-2007, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by SPL
beng — You may be right. When I checked in May 2006, all the TCHs were being imported from Japan. What I found out was that the duty rate on imported passenger cars from anywhere in the world (other than the USA?) was ~6%.

Stan
Yeah there isn't so the difference is greater (instead of the $1-2k, it's now $5-6k). Hell, I even added nav and there's still a great difference cause their nav is $1,300 and our nav is nearly $3k.

Old 07-11-2007, 08:27 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tideland Prius
Having that DRL OFF switch makes it easier to import a TCH with regards to DRL. Since the DRL is already there, we just need to "cut" the wire that sends the signal for the DRL OFF position. IOW, change the DRL OFF position so that it functions as "OFF" in the Canadian market. That'll save you time and money by not having to switch stalks.

shouldn't be a problem with the speedo since there are km/h readouts... just a bit smaller than usual heh.
Hello Timberline Prius, Have just imported the 50th anniversary edition of the Camry Hybrid and am wondering about the daylight running lights and the Fed requirement to have them no-defeatable. You mention just cutting some wire? Can you be more specific? I mentioned this to the US dealer and he checked with the Toyota technical people, the conclusion being because I have the NAV system adjusting the DRL's will cause a problem with the NAV.
Need some help here please. Regards Voodoo

Old 07-12-2007, 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by voodoo
Hello Timberline Prius, Have just imported the 50th anniversary edition of the Camry Hybrid and am wondering about the daylight running lights and the Fed requirement to have them no-defeatable. You mention just cutting some wire? Can you be more specific? I mentioned this to the US dealer and he checked with the Toyota technical people, the conclusion being because I have the NAV system adjusting the DRL's will cause a problem with the NAV.
Need some help here please. Regards Voodoo
hey,

I don't actually have an imported TCH (yet). I would've guess it was simply cutting the switch that defeats the DRLs when it's in the "DRL OFF" position.

Hmm... not sure how it'll cause problems as it's going to function like an "OFF" switch. So if the nav doesn't switch from day/night mode automatically, that's what I expect. Unless there's something more to it.

Old 07-12-2007, 02:42 PM
Active Enthusiast

Tideland Prius, did you find out what it would take to get your MFD to display km vs mpg? Also, did you look into getting the speedo changed to display KM/H as the primary numbers?

Old 07-12-2007, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by beng
Tideland Prius, did you find out what it would take to get your MFD to display km vs mpg? Also, did you look into getting the speedo changed to display KM/H as the primary numbers?
Hey beng,

no I haven't. I figured it's not too big of a deal (just have to realise that in the Prius, the shorter the bar graph, the better and on the future TCH, the higher the bar, the better lol).

It would be nice though to have km or km/h as the main unit of measurement.

Old 07-16-2007, 10:13 PM
Active Enthusiast

Hey Guys,

Well in the end, I decided to buy my TCH in Canada. The main reason was because I was able to get 2K more for my trade in from another dealer. Also, the posibility of having to live with MPG instead of KMh without spending $$$ to change it was too much. Anyways, I wish you guys good luck with your imports

Last edited by beng; 07-16-2007 at 10:16 PM.
Old 07-19-2007, 11:25 PM

oh alright.

If I see a white TCH, I'll wave! (and they aren't many around.. I've only seen one and that was before you bought yours). If you see a Tideland Prius, wave back!