Info if you have had your Camry Hybrid windshield replaced

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 05:01 AM
An Enthusiast
Default Re: Info if you have had your Camry Hybrid windshield replaced

Originally Posted by Sooty
Then you obviously didn't check out the site well enough because the heaviest gas Camry reported on that site is the V6 XLE at 3516 lbs Curb Weight
I'm guessing you haven't read ANSI/SAE Z26.1-1996. If you're severely injured in a car crash, are you *really* going to care that http://www.toyota.com/camry/specs.html doesn't report a Camry weighing 3516 pounds, or care whether FMVSS 216 is based on curb weight or GMVR (it's based on curb weight)?

If you're really curious, when the Toyota Camry Hybrid was tested against FMVSS 216, a weight of 5520 was used in the calculations.

But, since this thread is hosed (there's very little chance of any requested responses), I'm going to start a new thread. But feel free to keep arguing here!

Old 06-30-2007, 06:30 AM
Active Enthusiast

ok, regardless safety issue or not you need to have the correct OEM windshield replaced on your TCH... I personally know that I will get the OEM no matter what, as I have replaced a number of windshields on my Toyotas (non hybrid) and glass companies tried to get me a 3rd party glass and simply informed them I will not accept it and they need to call my insurance to have it approved to get me the OEM.

Old 06-30-2007, 07:21 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rscott
I'm guessing you haven't read ANSI/SAE Z26.1-1996. If you're severely injured in a car crash, are you *really* going to care that http://www.toyota.com/camry/specs.html doesn't report a Camry weighing 3516 pounds, or care whether FMVSS 216 is based on curb weight or GMVR (it's based on curb weight)?
OK I'm not going to argue as to whether there is or is not a safety issue with this.

Where I have a problem is your insisting that there is no Camry listed at that weighs 3516 lbs at the URL http://www.toyota.com/camry/specs.html that you provide. No there isn't, but that URL only lists the four cylinder Camry's look at the tab next to it http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/2007/camry/specs_v6.html that lists the three six cylinder Camry's the heaviest being the V6 XLE at 3516 lbs.

None of those six cylinder Camry's use the same windshield as the Hybrid either.

You're only weakening your own safety argument by insisting the heavier gas Camry's either don't exist or don't count in the equation.

Last edited by Sooty; 06-30-2007 at 10:32 AM.
Old 06-30-2007, 07:38 AM
Active Enthusiast

If you're really curious, when the Toyota Camry Hybrid was tested against FMVSS 216, a weight of 5520 was used in the calculations.
What I'm really curious about is at what weight other model Camry's were tested against FMVSS 216, specifically the V6 XLE which is the closest to the Hybrid curb weight wise.

The 5520 figure is meaningless if you don't give us anything to compare it to.

Old 06-30-2007, 04:40 PM
An Enthusiast

Originally Posted by agnosto
ok, regardless safety issue or not you need to have the correct OEM windshield replaced on your TCH... I personally know that I will get the OEM no matter what, as I have replaced a number of windshields on my Toyotas (non hybrid) and glass companies tried to get me a 3rd party glass and simply informed them I will not accept it and they need to call my insurance to have it approved to get me the OEM.
Depending on the state that you live in (and other factors, such as the cars age), you may or may not be able to do this. In Massachusetts, for example, you can insist on OEM parts if your car is fairly new (I believe in the first 20,000 miles). But after that, you cannot insist on OEM parts.

However, if there are no aftermarket parts that are of "like kind and quality" (specifics can vary from state to state), then they would have to use OEM (whether or not you requested it).
-Scott

Old 06-30-2007, 04:43 PM
An Enthusiast

Where I have a problem is your insisting that there is no Camry listed at that weighs 3516 lbs at the URL http://www.toyota.com/camry/specs.html that you provide. No there isn't...
That's why I insisted. <G>

, but that URL only lists the four cylinder Camry's look at the tab next to it http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/2007/camry/specs_v6.html that lists the three six cylinder Camry's the heaviest being the V6 XLE at 3516 lbs.
Good catch. That's why good web design is so important. :)

Old 07-02-2007, 08:33 AM
Dazed and Confused

However, if there are no aftermarket parts that are of "like kind and quality" (specifics can vary from state to state), then they would have to use OEM (whether or not you requested it).
-Scott
And this should be enough reason to insist on the OEM glass. If there is no acoustic aftermarket glass for the hybrid, that should be enough of an argument to get the correct glass installed. I don't see a need to argue safety, as they are installing the wrong glass, so they should install the correct glass regardless of the reason.

Old 07-02-2007, 09:19 AM
An Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ag4ever
And this should be enough reason to insist on the OEM glass. If there is no acoustic aftermarket glass for the hybrid, that should be enough of an argument to get the correct glass installed.
Correct. I am sure that anyone with a Camry Hybrid that gets a non-acoustic windshield could get an acoustic one, if they were to push the issue with their insurance company.

Originally Posted by ag4ever
I don't see a need to argue safety, as they are installing the wrong glass, so they should install the correct glass regardless of the reason.
The safety issue isn't being used to get acoustic glass, it is being used to get a wrong righted. Yes, an insurance company should put in the correct glass if they installed non-acoustic glass, regardless of whether or not there is a safety issue.

However, assuming that there is indeed a safety issue, I expect that the people who got the wrong windshields will be notified, and allowed the correct replacements at no charge. Most people with Camry Hybrids that have had the wrong windshield replaced don't know that it is the wrong windshield. If they are more likely to be killed as a result, action should be taken.
-Scott

Old 07-04-2007, 04:17 PM
Enthusiast

Had to replace my windshield at 4k miles due to rock chip that grew to 3 foot crack in a matter of minutes. I've never seen a crack grow so fast. For comparison I also have a 1992 Lexus with 250k miles and several rock chips on the original windshield. None of them turned into cracks, though.

The Toyota dealer I went to uses a contractor to install the window for you at home or at work. I have noticed a bit more noise, but have not determined if its because the sealant/glue has a tiny air leak or incorrect glass. The dealer and the glass company both assured me it was the same exact glass. I got a bit worried when they called me the day of the appointment to see if I had the auto dimming mirror or not. (all TCHs have them)

Utah is notorious for broken windshields.

Old 07-05-2007, 01:23 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

As I've mentioned somewhere, my original and replacement glass both said "Lamisafe" under the name Toyota. Presumably the acoustic-dampening glass is all laminated vs tempered, so if you can see any indication that it's tempered instead of laminated, you probably got the wrong stuff. The proper glass took my glass company a week to get, after I made sure they understood the TCH definitely doesn't get the same glass (quoted a part # someone posted, though not sure it was applicable to mine). They also let me look at the glass to verify it looked like the exact thing they were taking out before they even started.

Quick Reply: Info if you have had your Camry Hybrid windshield replaced

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands