Info if you have had your Camry Hybrid windshield replaced

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 11:24 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Info if you have had your Camry Hybrid windshield replaced

Originally Posted by Joe.B
picasa99,
My original windshield had the identical markings, but the ASI is actually AS1. From other postings the DOT20 is the glass factory in Japan, and I suspect you must have a Japan built Camry Hybrid as I do. The ones made in the US got their glass from a US plant DOT376, as per previous postings on this as I recall.
I have the same automatic rear view mirror, and when I first called the Safelite national number, they asked me a series of questions to identify the right glass part: 2007...Toyota...Camry...Hybrid...auto mirror? Sounds like the person who first ordered the glass for you forgot the last question.
Joe
Yup my Car is a Japan built (from the J in the VIN #). Actually the lady on the phone did ask me about the rear-view mirror and I said its a normal mirror (not knowing what exactly she was trying to ask), but now I know. Well the technician is going to come back tomorrrow with the correct Windshield and hope everything works out just perfect

Old 07-16-2009, 11:41 AM
Enthusiast

Got my aftermarket windshield installed yesterday by Safelite Auto and they installed 'ACG Automotive DOT 376 M834 AS1 30E Lamisafe'. So I guess this is the standard aftermarket glass for Camry Hybrid.

Till now no issues and everything seems to be fine.

Old 02-11-2012, 11:43 AM
Enthusiast

I had a small piece of seal to be disconnected immediately above the driver's side on the windshield. I didn't think it would be a problem and have no water leaks from it since I bought this used car a year ago. When I drove the car on a long road trip, it developed a very loud flapping noise at 70 mph but I thought the flapping was from the bra installed on the car. Nothing was disconnected there and all appeared perfectly secured.

Since owning this hybrid the symptom has occured six times but only at high rates of speed. When I exit the car I can see the flapping piece of rubber above the windshield. It was so random previously I didn't think much of it but in the last two weeks it has happened another three times and seems to be getting louder. (Very rapid rat,rat,rat on the top of the car, sunroof is perfectly sealed and weatherproof so we know it's not that.)

I just took my car to Toyota and was told in order to correct the extreme loud and irritating noise even though random, I would have to have a completely new windshield installed since Toyota doesn't sell just the rubber seal separately. ??? There are no cracks in the windshield and I feel they may have seen a woman coming in and thought ...here's a good one to bring in some easy cash. I find it difficult to believe that a separation of a seal would require a complete windshield replacement. I realize I am not a mechanic but I do have some business savvy and acumen so I need to hear from any one else if they know the fact that the seal is not separate and this might require a COMPLETE NEW WINDSHIELD.

Thanks to anyone who may share any info with me.

Old 02-12-2012, 01:22 AM
Pragmatist

When you buy a windshield, it comes with the molding. The molding is also available separately.

http://www.trademotion.com/parts/200...agramCallOut=8

Old 02-12-2012, 12:09 PM
Enthusiast

The Toyota dealer tells me the entire windshield has to be purchased in order to get that rubber piece. I find that very difficult to believe. I'm certainly going for a 'second opinion' and will not be arbitrarily throwing my money to the wind with this dealer. I have already witnessed "pricing games" before I purchased the car and cancelled a previous sale because of it. I chose to buy my new car from a dealer 2 hours away from our area. However, since they're the local dealer I have to deal with them. I have been diligent in dealing with them on repairs and services and watch their every move.

From your diagram it appears the part I might need is the reveal moulding which you show both Japan made and US made comes with the windshield. I checked the vin numbers and it appears my car is a US made (DOT 376) and it appears from your website there is NO moulding sold separately, only the Japan made. Is that correct? In that case it irks me that this dealer may be right. Please respond if there is a part number I might find somewhere for the piece separate from the entire windshield since nothing appears available on your website for US made.

Thank you for your update and I feel I can now be armed with more information than they might think I could achieve.

Old 06-03-2012, 09:59 AM
Enthusiast

Okay, this topic really intrigued me so I went down to the local dealer and walked around and here's what I found.

The Hybrid Camrys have the M8341 and the non-hybrid Camrys have a completely different number (oops, meant to write it down).

But what's interesting is that the V-6 XLE also have the M8341 windshields.

So whatever they're putting on the hybrids, they're also putting on the V-6 XLEs.

Now *that's* a puzzle.

For the record, my 2012 Camry has the M8341.

Rose