Insufficient Clear Coat? Easy Scratches

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 03:03 PM
Enthusiast
Default Insufficient Clear Coat? Easy Scratches

Quickly coming up on a year with a Titanium TCH -- and have found that contact with just about anything causes a scratch down to the primer. Little brushes with items in the garage, bushes, etc. all leave their mark.

Haven't had this problem with other my other Camrys -- this one is from Japan -- perhaps they are more careful.

Old 05-12-2007, 06:10 PM
2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid
Default Re: Insufficient Clear Coat? Easy Scratches

Originally Posted by TCHconn
Quickly coming up on a year with a Titanium TCH -- and have found that contact with just about anything causes a scratch down to the primer. Little brushes with items in the garage, bushes, etc. all leave their mark.

Haven't had this problem with other my other Camrys -- this one is from Japan -- perhaps they are more careful.
I have noticed the same thing and mine came from Japan too. The TCH has the thinnest paint coat of any car I have ever owned over 40 years. I am always making touch ups of little scratches and stone chips.

The paint job looks great, but after 3 or 4 years it will be pocked marked with touch ups.

Old 05-12-2007, 07:25 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TKCamry
I have noticed the same thing and mine came from Japan too. The TCH has the thinnest paint coat of any car I have ever owned over 40 years. I am always making touch ups of little scratches and stone chips.

The paint job looks great, but after 3 or 4 years it will be pocked marked with touch ups.
Maybe the clearcoat"paint sealant" ripoff that comes on all TCHs in the Southeast isn't too bad after all. My '95 Avalon still looks good with few scratches, most of which can be buffed out.

Old 05-13-2007, 12:29 PM
Active Enthusiast

Yup, I got it on my 2007 TCH Titanium Metallic/Ash Leather and agree that the ToyoGuard protection pkg is worth the extra money spent...:

Toyoguard Protection Group-XY40 $619
Exterior Paint Sealant

Glass Etch Theft Deterrent

Interior Fabric Protector

Toyo Guard Sealant Cleaner

Undercoating/Sound Shield

Last edited by agnosto; 05-13-2007 at 12:32 PM.
Old 05-13-2007, 07:20 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

In the survey I just got from Toyota asking about the quality of the car, I strongly noted my distaste for the paint job. It is the worst I have ever seen in my life. You look at it wrong and there are marks. If a hose from a vacuum rubs against it there are marks...SAD

Old 05-14-2007, 06:32 AM
Enthusiast

I agree my Barcelona Red is constantly getting scratched. I put the 3com protectant on the front and rear but everywhere else is getting scuffs and scratches....Any suggested protection for the rest???...I keep it waxed

Old 05-14-2007, 09:49 AM
Malcontent

Originally Posted by jvmpc
I agree my Barcelona Red is constantly getting scratched. I put the 3com protectant on the front and rear but everywhere else is getting scuffs and scratches....Any suggested protection for the rest???...I keep it waxed
You mean the 3M film?

I bought bulk film and covered my entire hood yesterday. I think it turned out fairly well. I'm going to do the bumper next, which I've removed altogether and will take inside. If all goes well, I may do the rest of the car which some people do for their exotic sports cars.

Old 05-14-2007, 12:27 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jvmpc
I would take it to a shop that does custom painting and have the entire car clear-coated. several coats made may be needed to give it a 'deep finish' Then it will last for years

Old 05-14-2007, 01:18 PM
Enthusiast

Yes 3m film.......Computers on the brain. Sucks that this is an issue

Old 05-14-2007, 01:40 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

There really isn't a need to do entire car, just any area exposed to direct forward movement such as your font and 1/4 way up on hood.

Quick Reply: Insufficient Clear Coat? Easy Scratches

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands