Interesting Tire Comparisons

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 01:07 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Interesting Tire Comparisons

Here is a tire test page comparing 7 tires. This includes the new goodyear fuel max and michelin energy saver tires.

Page down when the page opens to read the comparisons.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...irePageLocQty=

Old 09-11-2009, 01:54 PM
Default Re: Interesting Tire Comparisons

Maybe I missed it, but did the study look at the cost of these tires versus regular tires?
What about expected life span of the tires?
Obviously, both of these might be considered important considerations.

Old 09-13-2009, 02:56 AM
Default Re: Interesting Tire Comparisons

I did not see where they listed the cost difference you mentioned. I did compare the UTQG of the LRR vs Regular tires. The regular tires may have the advantage here.

The LRR tires which come on our TCH's do cost more. This new Energy Saver tire being the best of the LRR tires cost a good deal more. It also returns a 8% increase in gas mileage. That increase over 5 years may mean a lot to me after being in the 50 mpg range for the last 16 months. The increase should help recover some of the cost of the tires.

I like michelin's quality and them using their 8 sided curing mold. This is were they mold on the last wrap of rubber that includes the tire tread. Michelin was the first ever using the 4 sided curing mold method starting back in the 50's. Others back then, 1960's used a 2 sided mole which made tires that were many times 1/8"out of round.

I used to work at a front end alignment and brake shop in the in the early 60's. I used a Indian Head balancer that used HV sparks on a drum to do the static and dynamic balancing. I remember a customer bought in one of the first sets of Toyo tires. They were near impossible to balance using heavy weights. I pulled the arm over used to test roundness over the tire. I used my hand, rotating the tire one revolution. Each of those tires was 1/4 inch out of round. I told him to return them and get a refund which he did. He came back with a set of General's. By the way, years later Toyo tires became a popular selling tire.

Back to michelin - I like their molding process, new silica rubber and newly designed radial design for this energy saver tire. This is why I pay more to get the higher mpg.

Note: michelin plans on putting the new silica rubber compound in all of their tires over time. If so the tire will be labeled with the Green-X imprint. I think we will see most tire manufactures going to this LRR silica rubber which improves stopping.

I have also read reports of some unsatisfied customers when using michelin tires. I guess that could happen with any brand. I myself have had good results with a quiet, smooth ride. My best is two sets of michelins, one lasted 75,000 miles and the other went 71,000 miles. I drove 60/65 on the highway and slow on curves and turns. In those tires I used and checked the tire pressure at 35 psi cold each month.

I'm sure people can seek out other good quality brands of tires due to the many choices. I prefer the tire rack customer survey as a good tool to choose my tires.

Last edited by rburt07; 09-13-2009 at 01:43 PM.