Interior sound level comparison? New car time

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 06:35 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Interior sound level comparison? New car time

I know the TCH is very quiet inside at idle, and at 70mph. (Road and Track shows it to be 69 dBA at 70mph) I like this, as I am sure most other drivers do. Do any of you other auto enthusiasts know of a web site where I can easily compare the interior dBA levels of other vehicles? I can find an occasional magazine road test where they report this data, but for some of the vehicles we are considering, I am not able to find this info. We need to replace our "other" vehicle (2005 Highlander), and would like to find one that won't "tire us out" if we take it on a long drive. Recently replaced our 2007 TCH with a 2009 TCH.

The Toyota Venza is under consideration, and it shows in a Car and Driver test to be 67 dBA at 70mph, but we aren't sure the Venza is the right vehicle...probably too big and too much money, (and most important, the wife doesn't care much for it). For us, there doesn't seem to be a good Hybrid choice in CUVs. The Escape Hybrid is not an option.

Other vehicles currently under consideration: 2010 RAV-4 4X2 V6 Limited (don't like the sideways opening tailgate and mounted spare tire, but not a deal killer), 2010 Honda CR-V 4X2 EX-L Navi, 2010 Subaru Forester and Outback, Nissan Rogue, and a distant contestant, VW Tiguan.

Road testing on the highway is difficult (however not impossible) as the Interstate is quite a distance from the dealers.

Thanks for any thoughts and help.

Old 10-07-2009, 07:39 AM
Default Re: Interior sound level comparison? New car time

Yes, if Ford/Mazda would just hybridize the CX-7 Or Toyota hybridize the Venza using the I4 but upgraded with DFI and extended VVT-i.

Old 10-07-2009, 12:55 PM

I use the Consumer Guide auto 2009 magazine/book to compare vehicles. They use a numbering system from 1 through 10 for acceleration, quietness, ride, fuel economy, comfort and etc. The ratings are also listed under various engines available for the car, like the 4-cyl, V6, hybrid and sometimes diesel. The vehicle weighs, dimensions and safety information is listed in the back part of the book.

For example a Camry shows 7 for quietness and a 8 with the XLE-V6. Many vehicles show from 4 to 6.

The 2010 issue should be available by now.

Old 10-07-2009, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by rburt07
I use the Consumer Guide auto 2009 magazine/book to compare vehicles. They use a numbering system from 1 through 10 for acceleration, quietness, ride, fuel economy, comfort and etc. The ratings are also listed under various engines available for the car, like the 4-cyl, V6, hybrid and sometimes diesel. The vehicle weighs, dimensions and safety information is listed in the back part of the book.

For example a Camry shows 7 for quietness and a 8 with the XLE-V6. Many vehicles show from 4 to 6.

The 2010 issue should be available by now.
Thanks, Jimmy, I'll check it out.

Old 10-07-2009, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by wwest
Yes, if Ford/Mazda would just hybridize the CX-7 Or Toyota hybridize the Venza using the I4 but upgraded with DFI and extended VVT-i.
Yes! I'd realy like a 4cyl Hybrid Venza. Toyota? Are you listening? (of course not!)

Old 10-07-2009, 11:14 PM

My other favorites.

http://www.caranddriver.com/

http://www.edmunds.com/

http://www.kbb.com/

http://www.nadaguides.com/

J.D. Powers on the Venza.

http://www.jdpower.com/autos/powerst...9/Toyota/Venza

I find many vehicles are rather quiet at 60, but at 70 the wind noise from the mirrors, engine rpm and tires, increases. That's where the extra insulation and quieter tires helps keep the cabin noise down.

Last edited by rburt07; 10-07-2009 at 11:29 PM.
Old 10-10-2009, 11:01 PM

Just in case anyone was wondering, I bought an '09 Venza V6 today. Very quiet vehicle, handles fairly well for it's size, partially because of it's 20 inch, 50 series tires. It's no Hybrid, so I don't expect great mileage, but it does have 268 HP and a 6 speed sequential automatic.

Old 10-11-2009, 01:08 AM

I'm sure you will enjoy your new Venza. Better save up, bet those 20 inch tires aren't cheap. Watch out where you point all that horsepower. lol

I did a test ride in a similar 6-speed like this one. It was amazing, like you don't hear or feel it shift. The shifting points may be controlled by the ecu.

Old 10-11-2009, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by rburt07
.... Better save up, bet those 20 inch tires aren't cheap...
Interesting in that the actual car I selected had the Goodyear tires with a tread wear rating of 260, and another one, parked next to it on the dealers lot had the Michelins rated at 440. I had them switch them, AFTER I negotiated my deal. Tire rack has the Goodyears for $97 and the Michelins at $193! So yes, they are expensive, but not unreasonable. I find it amazing that Toyota uses such different rated tires on the same vehicle. I did this once before on a 2003 Camry, had them switch out the lower tires for the Michelins.

I was told that the reason they do this is that Michelin can't keep up with the demand that Toyota needs. Don't know if this is true...

Old 10-11-2009, 04:38 PM

Good move on getting the michelins. The michelins are usually long lasting if you run enough air in them. About 35 to 40 psi depending on the desired ride and cornering. I met a fellow once that said he gets around 100,000 miles out of michelins. He said he does this by checking his tire pressure every month.

Quick Reply: Interior sound level comparison? New car time

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands