JBL Stereo display corruption

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 09:25 AM
Enthusiast
Default JBL Stereo display corruption

Please take a look at attached PDF--

This happened just a few minutes ago while I was out getting lunch. Audio was playing via the AUX input and remained playing while the display looked like this.

All steering wheel and radio controls appeared to be functional. Power cycling the radio had no effect, but powering the car on and off made things go back to normal.

It's not unusually hot today, so I doubt temperature was causing the electronics go nuts. Admittedly I'm not a car stereo expert so I don't know where to start in diagnosing. I have an email out to the dealership to see if they've seen it before or have any ideas but figured I'd post here too.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
JBLstereo.pdf (638.3 KB, 137 views)
Old 08-15-2008, 10:14 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: JBL Stereo display corruption

Electronics don't always bootup properly. Turning the power on/off on the headunit is very different than cutting power to the headunit completely (which is what shutting off your car essentially does). This is analogous to rebooting your computer, versus pulling the power plug out of the back of your computer. So unless this happens again, I wouldn't worry about it.

Old 08-16-2008, 05:44 PM
Active Enthusiast

Looks similar to a problem with my 07 Rav4 radio that was replaced under warranty. Check with your dealer.

Old 08-19-2008, 10:01 AM
SPL
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

MalkavianX — You could try interrogating the stereo system for any trouble codes that it might have stored. The procedures for doing this, and the related trouble codes, are in the attached files from the Repair Manual. Let us know if this shows up anything useful.

Stan

Attached Files
AV-019to026_DTC Check-Clear.pdf (262.1 KB, 70 views)
AV-027to029_DTC Chart.pdf (27.4 KB, 195 views)