just city mpg, chime in

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 06:58 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: just city mpg, chime in

I just returned from a 3000 mile trip in my TCH. I averaged 37.1 MPG. I drove from Tucson Az. to San Francisco in one day. Average speed 77MPH. (36.0MPG)

This car has plenty of power for two lane road passing. (US 97 from Madress Oregon To Klamath Falls OR.)

Old 03-13-2007, 04:29 PM
Active Enthusiast

hi
again thank you all for chiming in, maybe i miswrote the title as too say"new guy, want imput!"

anyway, my real problem is
so you think the hybrid is worth it, if all im going to save is about $4-500 a year in gas, versus the power of a engine im used too, not some high powered muscle ca (had two) but safe to pass, go up to highway speed, get away from big rig power?
thanks
dan

Old 03-13-2007, 06:17 PM
Active Enthusiast
Arrow Re: just city mpg, chime in

Originally Posted by camrydan
hi
again thank you all for chiming in, maybe i miswrote the title as too say"new guy, want imput!"

so you think the hybrid is worth it, if all im going to save is about $4-500 a year in gas, versus the power of a engine im used too, not some high powered muscle ca (had two) but safe to pass, go up to highway speed, get away from big rig power?
thanks
dan

Power is not an issue unless you like to drag from the stop lights. My previous car was a Supra turbo with all kinds of power. While the TCH power is not as dramatic, it is more than adequate.

My commute is much greater than yours; however, I have noted the mileage I get on short trips. Assuming that you don't live where it is very hilly or very cold, I would still expect that you can get better gas mileage on the TCH than with a regular camry. You must remember that any car gets worse mileage when it first starts.

Also, when you are looking a savings, don't forget that you can still get a tax credit of $1,300 if you buy before April.

Old 03-13-2007, 06:32 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by camrydan
hi

thanks
dan
If your main concern is about money, do not get the hybrid. Tax credits have already been slashed and repair costs in the future will probably make it more expensive. If you're used to powerful engines, beware too that the hybrid has a delay when you floor it when its in electric mode. It takes a second for the engine to turn on. I don't mind 'cause I don't need that kind of power but it seems like you might not enjoy the hybrid as much as others like me.

Old 03-13-2007, 06:54 PM
Active Enthusiast

hi
its fairly flat where i am (just west of toronto, ontario, canada) cold? at times
my provincial govt will give me $2000 back if i buy a hybrid, so im $2000 less then a v6 se, which is what i was looking at.
that with the $400-500 in gas saving, sounds good to be, like its been said, go drive the car! i plan too, soon
thanks
dan