Lawsuits...

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 07:31 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Lawsuits...

Originally Posted by Islander
NEWS - your 35 mpg is actually ABOVE/BETTER THAN the EPA's revised THC ratings - 33 City/34 Highway/34 overall.
Yes, and that was not around when I purchased the car. And probably not when this guy did or the sticker wasn't updated because it applies to the 2008 model year. None of the cars on the local dealer lot (2007s) have updated stickers.

Old 07-13-2007, 08:37 AM
Dazed and Confused

Lawsuits are a good and usefull tool when used properly.

If you have truely been wronged, then fine, file a lawsuite, but if you are just made and want to get money or get even, then you sould be JAILED for filing a frivelous lawsuite.

The McD's coffee lawsuit is a bad one to site for frivilous.

Sure she should not have placed the coffee between her legs, but the facts are that location had been cited numerous times for having the temp of the coffee too high for economic reasons. They had the temp set to an unsafe level because it made the coffee last longer and thus it would not turn bitter so fast meaning they would not have to throw out as much and saving them money. The woman that got burned had to have a historectomy as a result of the severe burns. If they had the coffee at a reaonable temperature, then she might have had some uncomfortable burns to her genitals, but she would not have required a historectomy.

As for sueing Honda, I don't know what this person's claims are, but if he has a truly defective car that is getting terrible mileage, he might have a valid case. If he is just un happy that he can seem to get EPA ratings while driving 5 miles each way to work at 90 MPH, then he should be jailed for wasting tax payer's money.

I have been involved in lawsuits, on both sides of the table, and some were needed, and some were not. But it boils down to taking responsibilty for one's OWN actions. If we would all do that, we would not need lawyers.

As an aside, I am against putting caps on medical malpractice suits, unless you also strip the doctor of their liscence. Most families involved in those cases don't want the money, but they want to prevent the doctor from ruining other's lives. Without a way to cleanup the bad doctors we must cause the bad doctor's insurance rates to become unaffordable through excessive judgements. Caps on judgements + revoking liscence = good, no caps + no policeing of doctors = not good, Caps on judgement + no policing of doctors = terrible. That is one of the reasons our health care system is in shambles.

Off soap box now!

Old 07-13-2007, 09:56 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Couple (non-lawsuit) responses to people--first, part of why they're revising estimates in the first place is to better match the way people drive. So the comment that 'people don't get the EPA mileage because they speed' is part of the point of changing the estimate. People don't drive the way the test measures mileage, so they change the test to better match reality--which comes out with lower numbers.

On the other hand, people who drive hybrids are probably much more likely to be trying harder to get every last bit of mileage out of their cars, so they are probably more likely to have higher fuel economy relative to the EPA estimates--especially those into their hybrids enough to come to a site like this!

And on the other other hand, even the people here only have an overall mileage average of around 35 mpg for TCHs. It doesn't take many weeks of below-freezing, stormy, slushy weather to seriously drop your per-year FE. The worse the mileage, the more tanks you have to go through for the weeks the worst weather lasts, while the better the mileage, the longer you can go. Same reason my one weekend of errands can screw up my mileage after a week of 20-mile commutes getting 45+mpg.

Old 07-16-2007, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Pete4
This is frivolous lawsuit and should never go to the court, period. EPA is federal agency behind the numbers and they decided how the tests are performed, unless it could be proven Honda was making up the numbers. There is also disclaimer that your mileage will vary. Everybody knows that mpg can jump up and down depending on driving conditions and you'll get different MPG driving on the muddy forest road compared to empty highway. I also don't understand why EPA changed the way it is testing the cars now. I get 38-40 mpg, as EPA predicted and I think the new, 34 mpg number is a joke, my worst tank ever is about that low, due to combination of snowstorm, very heavy traffic and very cold temperatures. But I don't live on South Pole and this weather conditions last few weeks a year at most. People don't meet EPA numbers because they're speeding, almost everybody drives 10-15 mph above speed limit, a lot of people much more than that. Also very short trips will kill MPG due to the engine running rich most of the time. If you don't go crazy on the road, don't get stuck in standing still traffic all the time and don't drive very short trips most of the time you will get 38-40 mpg. I've seen people driving with left foot on the break and right on the gas and they probably can't figure out why they get low mpg. I hope everybody knows that potential cost of lawsuits is calculated into the prices we all pay and for example liability lawsuits destroyed most of the small aircraft manufacturing in US, for example. Cost of health care also goes up at something close to 25% a year and lawsuits are partially to blame for that increase. I think Sprint did a great thing by dumping 1200 of it's 56 million customers who could never get satisfaction and keep calling customer support for 40-50 times a month always complaining, if they were so unhappy let them go somewhere else. If the guy didn't like the car's MPG he should sell it and get bicycle or something.

You are forgetting we live in a country that a JUDGE (who knows better) brought a 50 something MILLION dollar law suit against a dry cleaner for losing his pants... which turned out to be false. If that made it to court, this will make it to court. God bless america.

Old 07-16-2007, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by livvie
You are forgetting we live in a country that a JUDGE (who knows better) brought a 50 something MILLION dollar law suit against a dry cleaner for losing his pants... which turned out to be false. If that made it to court, this will make it to court. God bless america.
Wow. I must have been under a rock to have missed this story. Unreal.

Old 07-17-2007, 04:59 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by livvie
The saddest part of that case, rarely reported, is that nobody could even admire his $50M pants because they were always worn under that long black robe!

Old 07-17-2007, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by bmgoodman
The saddest part of that case, rarely reported, is that nobody could even admire his $50M pants because they were always worn under that long black robe!
But lets not forget he is bringing the suit back again.

Old 07-18-2007, 09:31 PM
Active Enthusiast

I would think for this to be an even remotely legitimate lawsuit they'd have to be suing the EPA. Yeah, good luck with that...

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands