LED dome light

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 06:22 PM
Malcontent
Default LED dome light

The bulb in my 1995 Camry burned out but conveniently uses the same bulb as the TCH. I put a 9-LED bulb in the TCH and put its incandescent bulb in the old Camry.

Old 10-23-2006, 08:22 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: LED dome light

Spiffy. Where'd you get that? Do you think it would be hard to replace the lame-o trunk light with soemthing like this?

Old 10-24-2006, 03:26 AM
Malcontent
Default Re: LED dome light

The trunk light is listed as a type 194.

The 921-W12 seems like it's the brightest LED bulb that would fit a 194-compatible socket.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/mini-wedge.html

While the sockets may be compatible, there still has to be enough room to fit the larger/different dimensions of the LED. In the case of the trunk light, there appears to be plenty of space around the bulb.

Dimensions:

http://www.superbrightleds.com/specs/T13_specs.htm

There's also no guarantee that the LED would be brighter. They will sometimes have different color temperatures or more narrow patterns. You don't really know until you try. Fortunately, most of the LED bulbs are only a few bucks and the vendor says it doesn't charge a restocking fee on small orders.

The LED dome light doesn't seem to be as bright but it's a nice white color compared to the original incandescent bulb so I'll probably stick with it. Actually, it's hard to tell which is brighter as the old Camry is parked outside while the TCH is in the garage and the garage door opener's light is on.

For the trunk light, there are 12 and even 36 LED replacements so it's more likely they'll be brighter than the stock bulb.

This PCB-W36 would obviously not fit but could easily be mounted on the underside of the trunk lid:

http://www.superbrightleds.com/specs/pcblamp.htm

Last edited by Squint; 10-24-2006 at 03:29 AM.