Lets talk about Toyota DVD Navigation

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2006, 12:35 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Lets talk about Toyota DVD Navigation

I noticed the other day (in my mazda) that my new cell phone charger is causing noise in the factory stereo. I think I'll put a noise filter in on the cigarette lighter feed, that should take care of it. Might be a thing you can do as well.

Old 06-08-2006, 02:14 PM
Active Enthusiast

Well the wonderful Nav system just took my wife 50 miles the wrong way and added about an hour and 30 min on to her trip. She was unfamiliar with the area so knew no better than to trust the nav system.

This thing is GREAT not.

Old 06-08-2006, 02:17 PM
2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid

Maybe she put the wrong location in. It is easy to do when you get a choice of cities and then pick the wrong one for a street address. I've never seen any NAV system send someone 50 miles in the wrong direction without an input error.

Last edited by TKCamry; 06-08-2006 at 02:25 PM.
Old 06-08-2006, 06:17 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TKCamry
Maybe she put the wrong location in. It is easy to do when you get a choice of cities and then pick the wrong one for a street address. I've never seen any NAV system send someone 50 miles in the wrong direction without an input error.
Good try but no...she set the destination for home (which is set right at our home) and it sent her many miles out of her way. I can only guess at this point because she is now home but I believe it was taking her up to I-80 from Reading, PA to get home to State College rahter than go through Harrisburg. She said it gave no options for different routes.

Old 06-08-2006, 10:23 PM
mak
Banned

Originally Posted by jhfarr73
Good try but no...she set the destination for home (which is set right at our home) and it sent her many miles out of her way. I can only guess at this point because she is now home but I believe it was taking her up to I-80 from Reading, PA to get home to State College rahter than go through Harrisburg. She said it gave no options for different routes.
Tho I do feel the NAVI system is not very user friendly, I does give 3 options when displaying your route preference (Quick 1, Quick 2, and Short).

Old 06-09-2006, 03:52 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mak
Tho I do feel the NAVI system is not very user friendly, I does give 3 options when displaying your route preference (Quick 1, Quick 2, and Short).
I know what it is supposed to do but it doesn't always do it...at least on ours. Add to that that there are times when all three are the same or 2 of three are the same. I just am a bit disappointed with the system, especially considering the cost...for half the price there are much better units on the market...of course they aren't as built in to your car...but they will get you where you are going more reliably IMO.

Old 06-22-2006, 06:36 AM
Active Enthusiast

Ok so I was on my golf forum of all places and in a discussion of the Prius there I supported another member's comment on the nav system being less than stellar. From that post I got a PM from another forum member who happens to be a Lexus master tech and I sent a few emails back and forth to him. Apparently the 05.1 DVD is the current DVD but Toyota is pressing their nav partner to release a new DVD ASAP due to a VERY large and growing number of complaints with the nav system running the 05.1 software. He said the current trend is to comp the customer's with the PREVIOUS version of the software which actually functions better than the current revision. From the info I got from this technician the DVD not only contains the maps but contrary to what I assumed it also has software that updates the logic tree of the nav system.

So I feel vindicated that it isn't just me and my friend with the Lexus RXH. This IS an ongoing issue for Toyota and they are supposedly working on a fix...I can't wait for the fix to be released.

Old 06-22-2006, 07:14 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jhfarr73
Ok so I was on my golf forum of all places and in a discussion of the Prius there I supported another member's comment on the nav system being less than stellar. From that post I got a PM from another forum member who happens to be a Lexus master tech and I sent a few emails back and forth to him. Apparently the 05.1 DVD is the current DVD but Toyota is pressing their nav partner to release a new DVD ASAP due to a VERY large and growing number of complaints with the nav system running the 05.1 software. He said the current trend is to comp the customer's with the PREVIOUS version of the software which actually functions better than the current revision. From the info I got from this technician the DVD not only contains the maps but contrary to what I assumed it also has software that updates the logic tree of the nav system.

So I feel vindicated that it isn't just me and my friend with the Lexus RXH. This IS an ongoing issue for Toyota and they are supposedly working on a fix...I can't wait for the fix to be released.
I'm all for 'Golfers for better NAV's'!

Where do we 'complain' to, if we want Toyota to sit up and notice?

Old 06-22-2006, 07:21 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ozarkgolfer
I'm all for 'Golfers for better NAV's'!

Where do we 'complain' to, if we want Toyota to sit up and notice?
I was told to call the 800 Toyota customer service number or have my dealer do so on my behalf.

Old 06-22-2006, 09:13 PM
Enthusiast

From our daughter's house (outside of Columbus, OH) to ours in WV, the NAV wants to route us down US 23 to Chesapeake, OH, across the bridge to Huntington, WV to I-64 and then E. to our home, but we prefer coming down OH Rt.104 (where our daughter lives) and then on US 35 to where it joins with I-64. It suggests turns to get on US 23 (it parallels Rt 104), but when when I don't turn, it recalculates the route until the next possible turn to get to US 23. When I don't take that turn either, it recalculates again. By the time we turn onto US 35 (after ignoring another suggestion to turn on US 23), it recalculates and leads us home. The Rt.104/US 35 way is about 30 miles shorter with less traffic. I've never been able to have the NAV choose that route as an alternate or preferred route. When playing with the NAV on other trips, I have received the voice command to make a legal U-turn - whatever that is. :-)

Also, I think the NAV is terrible with the points of interest (POI). When I'm at an Interstate intersection, I can be within sight-(1/4 mi.) of at least six restaurants and fast food places (including McDonalds and Burger King), but when I give the voice command for nearest fast food or nearest restaurant, it selects a McDonalds that's 6 miles away at the next exit. I'm guessing none of the six at my exit are registered on the DVD. I've noticed the same thing (being directed to a POI that further away) with libraries, ATMs and other POI's.

Anyone else notice this?

Quick Reply: Lets talk about Toyota DVD Navigation

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands