Lets talk about Toyota DVD Navigation

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2006, 09:13 AM
WVGasGuy
Default Re: Lets talk about Toyota DVD Navigation

07TCH, I fought with that "woman" over half the way to Nags Head last week. I had to get beyond the half way mark before she finally rerouted me the direction I wanted to go.

I have not figured this out yet but I did see other posts where I guess it may give 2 alternate routes and you select. I might have had that option and just didn't select it. Even though I am an engineer, these electronic things confuse me, and until someone shows me how to use it I'll probably not figure it out completely. I'm not doing well with the written manual.

Old 07-16-2006, 05:41 PM
Enthusiast

I'm wondering if I can use my dvd Inav 3.0 disk in the Camry. I have the Inav 3.0 for my pda/gps. I wondering if anyone else has tried it yet with any other software..

Old 07-16-2006, 06:14 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ibdave
I'm wondering if I can use my dvd Inav 3.0 disk in the Camry. I have the Inav 3.0 for my pda/gps. I wondering if anyone else has tried it yet with any other software..
Nope. I think it is safe to say that you have to use the OEM DVD's in the system.

Old 03-09-2007, 11:42 AM
Led-footed HyBrid geek

I'm new to this nav system and am wondering if I'm missing something.
Everytime I've entered a destination, I get 3 routes....ALL THE SAME! (and wrong as well)

The system never takes the most direct route. It always chooses a route that has the busiest streets.

Is there any way of tweaking these options?

Old 03-09-2007, 01:10 PM
Active Enthusiast

One thing I did which I dont see mentioned in this thread is to set the speeds for the type of road (freeway, main, side or something like that). It looks like it's used to compute the arrival time, which leads me to believe that it takes those speeds into account when searching for routes.

I believe the defaults were 55, 35, 25 for freeway, main roads, and smaller roads. I would suggest you guys set those speeds appropriately and then see if the system gives you a better route based on those numbers.

Old 03-09-2007, 01:13 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wilsons66604
I'm new to this nav system and am wondering if I'm missing something.
Everytime I've entered a destination, I get 3 routes....ALL THE SAME! (and wrong as well)

The system never takes the most direct route. It always chooses a route that has the busiest streets.

Is there any way of tweaking these options?
Are the ETA on those routes the same? I noticed that although the routes looks the same, the ETA's are different, with arrival times earlier or later. It seems to me that since it zooms the map to show the entire route, you can't tell on the street level if it uses a different street or not. I'd bet that the differences between routes that looks the same are very minimal, like turning left instead of right on a block which makes you go around it, adding 2 more minutes to your commute.

Old 03-09-2007, 01:37 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

About how long is the route you are calculating? If it is very short, many times there is little difference between them. The longer the trip, the more variation there can be.

Old 03-09-2007, 01:54 PM
Led-footed HyBrid geek

Originally Posted by Geckoboy
Are the ETA on those routes the same? I noticed that although the routes looks the same, the ETA's are different, with arrival times earlier or later. It seems to me that since it zooms the map to show the entire route, you can't tell on the street level if it uses a different street or not. I'd bet that the differences between routes that looks the same are very minimal, like turning left instead of right on a block which makes you go around it, adding 2 more minutes to your commute.
The routes I'm refering to are very short and do not differ at all.
I have not compared the ETAs.
I'm spoiled by my TomTom device. It used all roads and did not try to stay on just the main roads as the TCH seems to be doing.
(I have also set my speeds)

Old 03-09-2007, 07:52 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by stevenvillatoro
I'm really happy with the stereo... it was an unexpected surprise. Got a 1' cable from Radio Shack, and routed it through the secret holes in the center comparment to the cubby holes flanking the center console... it's the perfect iPod holder.

That sounds interesting... where are those secret holes? I've got a pretty good rapport with the service manager at my dealer, maybe I can get him to route that, and maybe wire up a charger for me as well.

I've also been debating getting the nav installed, but it's pretty pricey up here, particularly when I can get an aftermarket one to use on trips for about 1/6 the price. Does it play DVDs as well, by chance?

Old 03-10-2007, 03:25 AM
Led-footed HyBrid geek

Originally Posted by JTode
That sounds interesting... where are those secret holes? I've got a pretty good rapport with the service manager at my dealer, maybe I can get him to route that, and maybe wire up a charger for me as well.

I've also been debating getting the nav installed, but it's pretty pricey up here, particularly when I can get an aftermarket one to use on trips for about 1/6 the price. Does it play DVDs as well, by chance?
Toyota provided a knockout plug on the passenger side of the forward console compartment in all 07 Camrys. The same compartment that has the AUX and power plug. Just pop the plug out with your finger and you can route the AUX cable thru there.

The factory Nav system does not play DVDs