Loud Rattle at Start up

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 10:39 PM
Super Moderator
Default Re: Loud Rattle at Start up

If it has been happening with two different filters, I doubt they will be the problem. I thought this started after the oil change. In that case the filter would be a prime suspect. There are other things that can cause this like a stuck oil pump relief valve but the dealer needs to discover what is wrong and fix the problem.

Old 10-18-2010, 08:30 AM
Enthusiast

I just had this happen on my wife's 2009 TCH, this morning, for the second time. The first time was about two weeks ago, and had not done it since....till this morning. My last couple oil changes were done at the dealer. When this noise happens, it sounds like someone is inside the engine compartment banging around with a tire iron.......very loud. It only lasted for about 10-15 seconds......but a very disturbing sound. I have a dealer appointment tomorrow. I'll post the results. Both times this has happened have been morning startups......so it is unlikely to "do it for he dealer"

Old 10-18-2010, 05:23 PM
Super Moderator

OK,
With two of you having the same problem (although a year apart) there has to be something going on. Some questions to start with:

1) Was the car parked outside overnight?

2) What was the ambient temperature where the car was stored?

3) When was the last time the oil was changed?

4) Are you sure the dealer used 0W-20 or 5W-20 oil when you had them change the oil?

5) Has this car ever been involved in an accident?

6) Have you run over anything in the road before this started?

7) Has the dealer done any work on the car OTHER than an oil change in the last couple of months?

Old 10-19-2010, 01:10 AM
Pragmatist

Engine noise that sounds like absence of oil can be caused by various things. But, if it goes away after a few seconds, actual absence of oil is a likely cause. The noise goes away after oil pressure builds up.

Absence of oil at startup is usually due to having the wrong oil filter. Some oil filters have anti-drainback valves. Others don't. This car requires a filter that does. (Fifty years ago, oil pumps would sometimes wear out. That rarely happens any more. The oil pump is the best-lubricated part in the entire car.)

Check out the oil filters for this car online. Read the specs of each at manufactures web site. Check out reputations and reviews. Call a different oil-change place to ask what kind of filters they use, or buy the filter yourself. Then go to that new oil-change place for your next oil change. Whatever you do, when you get the oil changed, make sure you get the correct filter.

If the correct filter makes the noise go away -- never go back to that first oil-change place ever again.

If it doesn't -- look for some other cause. There could be something loose or broken.

Old 10-19-2010, 07:00 PM
Enthusiast

OK......just got back from the dealer about an hour ago. Of course they could not duplicate the loud banging. But they found a leaking water pump.....told me that might be the problem, and replaced it. I have my doubts that what I heard was a bad water pump.
For the record:
1. Both times this happened was at morning startup after the ICE kicked in, and before the car was put in gear.
2. Garage/outside temp probably in the 50's
3. No other work has been done on the car
4. The dealer has done the last three oil changes using Mobile 1 0-20
5. I assume they use a Toyota filter....paperwork does not say
6. The noise I heard was not the internal engine noise you would associate with a low oil situation. More like someone banging around inside the engine compartment with a tire iron. Veryloud and odd sound
7. There is no way this was the sound from bad water pump bearings.

We'll see if the startup noise comes back.......and what is up with water pumps going bad so quickly ?????

Old 10-19-2010, 11:45 PM
Pragmatist

Originally Posted by MplsTCH
OK......
6. The noise I heard was not the internal engine noise you would associate with a low oil situation. More like someone banging around inside the engine compartment with a tire iron. Veryloud and odd sound
That is a classical description of a broken motor mount. Many modern motor mounts are "captured" designs, so the steel pieces interlock to keep the motor in place after the rubber fails. After they fail, they sound like steel pounding on steel.

Old 01-07-2011, 08:06 AM
Enthusiast

I have a 2007 TCH and have expierenced the exact same issue. Has only happened a couple of times, but in nearly the exact same scenario as Tom's 2009 TCH. Of course the dealer couldn't duplicate.

Old 01-24-2011, 03:33 PM
Enthusiast

I second the engine/transmission mount issue. I'm having a problem with mine and I've got just under 100k miles. I am fairly sure I have one or maybe more worn engine mounts as the car seems to clunk a bit on take off (when the ICE kicks on or even if I slam on the brakes at slower speeds) BUT, I think my water pump is leaking too because my coolant level for gas engine has been slowly going down... Next oil change is due in about 1000 miles so I will have it all checked.

Old 01-27-2011, 09:20 PM
Enthusiast

Guys this is not an oil pressure problem. I think you'll find it's actually the engine not firing into life straight away, even though the electric motor is turning the engine over. The noise you're hearing is probably caused by the power split device, until the actual engine fires properly into life. If you hear it making a whole bunch of abnormal noises, shut it down straight away then power up again to see if it fires correctly, as it probably isn't doing the planetary set and gears much good.

Old 01-28-2011, 10:42 AM
Veteran Mechanic

Well After owning and repairing numerous Toyota cars and trucks, I'll say this noise is perfectly normal for their newer(than 22r) 4 cylinder motors. The problem is always hit and miss. Both of my non hybrid toyota 4 bangers(Corolla and Celica) do it while the 6 cyl Avalon never has even once. I think it's simply a matter of the oil all draining off of the lubed parts over a period of a few days and Toyota's famously slow oil delivery system not being able to pick up the pace right away.

One word of advice never rev your Toyota 4cyl car until after you know it's all oiled up inside!

Quick Reply: Loud Rattle at Start up

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands