Lurching while parked

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 05:50 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Lurching while parked

Originally Posted by mikieboyblue
Dying is not good. Yikes. I haven't had that.....luckily.

I do get the same of rocking when in park sometimes. It does feel like the ICE is running rough. The funny thing is, it has gotten a little warmer and I have not had it lurch as violently when the ICE first starts after "booting up" the car.
Yes, it does seem like the ICE is running rough, even when warmed.

I guess we'll see if a TSB comes out on it :-)

Old 03-27-2008, 07:02 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mikecism
I also had my first "crash" with the TCH. (as in the car dying and shutting off). Later the same day, I drove 1 block from my home. I stop at a stop sign. A bunch of idiots lights come on. (Check engine, VSC, brake, a few others.) "Ready" light is on, but car won't move.

I'm glad I was on a quiet street; if could've been an issue in traffic. (Kinda scary for it to go t-i-t-s up on me.).

I did a power cycle off/on, and it came back like nothing happened.
I suggest going to the dealer ASAP and see if they can pull any codes. I've had my TCH for almost 2 years and 35K miles and never had anything like that happen and hope I never do!

As to the "lurching while parked", I can't say I've ever noticed it. The only time I ever feel anything is if I don't have the parking brake set and the ICE shuts down while in park. Even then it is barely noticeable.

Old 03-27-2008, 07:23 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nash
I suggest going to the dealer ASAP and see if they can pull any codes. I've had my TCH for almost 2 years and 35K miles and never had anything like that happen and hope I never do!

As to the "lurching while parked", I can't say I've ever noticed it. The only time I ever feel anything is if I don't have the parking brake set and the ICE shuts down while in park. Even then it is barely noticeable.
How long do the codes stay in the system? It used to be they were only in cars when the fault was occurring, but in new cars, I wonder if there is a memory for this.

I suppose I could go to the dealer, but I hate to lose a day of work going to the dealer. If it happens again, I will likely go.

Old 04-06-2008, 08:46 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jbollt
Bobby...(and Mikie) No insults intended, but I think you are over-reacting. I have experienced this once in 29,000 miles..it was a very minor feeling. As long as your foot is on the brake, which it must be when starting the car, I don't believe the car willl actually move an inch.
I've noticed this about every other time when I start my car. The ICE does not start immediately when you hit the power button ( at least for me) and that's the time my foot is normally off the brake and I'm getting adjusted. After 15 seconds or so, the ICE kicks on and I feel the lurch.

If you live in a place like SF or where bumper-to-bumper parking is the norm, this small inch or so goes from no big deal to something to consider.

Yes, as a safety precaution, ones foot should be on the brake - or the parking brake set until the engine kicks on - but I agree with other posters; I don't want my car moving until I say so.

Old 04-07-2008, 01:25 PM

Yes, it does seem like the ICE is running rough, even when warmed.

I guess we'll see if a TSB comes out on it :-)
They have a TSB out for fuel in the evap system. Causes rough idling and/or stalling. You have to take it to the dealer to have them pull some codes. I think it might have been a Canadian TSB I saw...not sure if there is a US one yet.

Old 04-07-2008, 01:51 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mikieboyblue
They have a TSB out for fuel in the evap system. Causes rough idling and/or stalling. You have to take it to the dealer to have them pull some codes. I think it might have been a Canadian TSB I saw...not sure if there is a US one yet.
But I have a 2009...I think most (all?) TSBs are for 2007 versions?

Old 04-07-2008, 07:54 PM

But I have a 2009...I think most (all?) TSBs are for 2007 versions?
Yeah, it looks like it is an 2007. Sorry. I did not know what year you had.

Old 04-08-2008, 12:42 AM

I have had the engine vibration a few times when sitting still at startup on a cold morning. It only happens if I hold the brake over 10 seconds to start the car. The ice starts instead of staying in the he EV mode.

I did find if I hold the brake for about 5 seconds then start the car as usual. Immediately put it in drive or reverse. Then let it roll forward or back, while not touching the throttle. The ice will then start smoothly in about 4 to 5 seconds.

Last edited by rburt07; 04-08-2008 at 12:46 AM.