Mechanical problems & need for extended warranty

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 04:48 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Mechanical problems & need for extended warranty

Originally Posted by Pete4
I'm somewhere around 90k miles/4yrs with no repairs required yet (knock on the wood), however some components on TCH are very expensive and if one of those failed, it would cost thousands to fix (primary example being inverter). On the other hand in some states like CA and NY all hybrid related components are covered under extended (150k/10yr ?? not sure exactly) warranty, so it really depends on your particular situation. Since I bought my car pretty much as soon as it came out, without any benefit of historical data about reliability, I did get extended warranty. Now, before the extended warranty runs out I intend to take it to the dealer for full check up, so then I will find out if it was worth it after all. I did loose some engine coolant, possibly indicating some little work will be required, we will see, but it's mostly about peace of mind. I usually don't buy any extended warranty on any product, so this is more of an exception for me than not. Either way I don't mind getting the extended warranty, since the car served me very well so far and that's most important.
Ya what a crock of chit! Toyota should be made to honor 150K and 10 years in all states if they do it in two. Talk about discrimination!

Old 07-07-2010, 06:42 PM
Active Enthusiast

One thing that hasn't been mentioned yet is the "Service Plan" question. If you look at the "Plan" and then break down what is actually done, you'll probably find that the Plan costs MORE than paying a la carte.

For extended warranty, the before this 07 TCH, the only extended warranty I purchased was for a Mitsubishi Gallant Sigma. Reason for Mitsu warranty was due to all the gee-whiz whiz-bang electronics on the car. I hit the jack pot for warranty! Transmission was horrible! 07 TCH warranty was because it was first model year and I wasn't sure how the car would hold up. Car has 40K miles, 4 years, no problems (yet).

Ice cream: NYAH, chocolate ice cream is only made in winter because it comes from brown Canadian (freezing) cows!

Old 07-08-2010, 09:50 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by skywagon

Ya what a crock of chit! Toyota should be made to honor 150K and 10 years in all states if they do it in two. Talk about discrimination!
It's not discrimination; its the law. And, quite often, buyers in states like California often pay more for their car to meet those standards.