Milage When Driving Fast

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 04:15 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Milage When Driving Fast

Originally Posted by chris_h
On our first long trip with the TCH, the tank averaged 37 mpg. That was with about 90% of the miles on the highway, doing 72 to 80 mph on the speedometer (which reads about 3 to 4 mph high at those speeds). The total trip was about 500 miles, so a good estimate is 450 miles highway and 50 miles city.
I got about 35-36 MPG driving through VA and NC (rolling hills) and on cruise control, going about 75 MPH.

I don't see the 6 cylinder getting better mileage than a hybrid but the acceleration will be noticeable. Is one second of acceleration worth it?

Old 05-01-2007, 04:36 PM
HypoFueler

You might want to consider a Honda...

On the freeway at 70mph, HCH 2 can average close to 50mpg. I tend to keep it between 55-65mph and have average about 52 overall (20/80 city/hwy).

I dont know if the Accord Hybrid might also fare better than the Camry if you have mostly freeway miles.

Certainly, around town, the Prius/Camry tend to get better FE than the Hondas.

Old 05-01-2007, 07:28 PM
old fart

I made a trip about `1300 miles round trip.while on the road i kept it at 71 on the cruse control most of the time.There were many times i would bump it up to 73 keeping up with the flow of traffic in the right lane. my average was 39.2 With my 05 and 06 prius ,same trip,same time of yr mild weather i got 46.
The first 8000 miles with my 05 prius i drive it like most prius drivers,tried to get all the mpg i could get.I bought them to enjoy and get me where i want to go and i no longer baby it. I lost lost about 7 mpg going to the camry but I love the camry. I cant say a bad work about the prius,i had no problems.

Old 05-02-2007, 08:22 AM
Active Enthusiast
Talking Re: Mileage When Driving Fast

I haven't taken any trips in my TCH yet. Nobody wants to ride with me! I might drive too slowly.

Old 05-02-2007, 08:49 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

Originally Posted by hamm3r
How have you come to this conclusion? The XLE-V6 is rated as follows:

Gas Mileage: 22 mpg city / 31 mpg highway
Personal experience. I own an '07 XLE-V6 and '07 TCH and at speeds above 65 mph the FE of the XLE-V6 is 90% that of the TCH at the same speed. Above 75 mph the FE's are almost identical. And while the TCH strains on even modest hills the XLE-V6 is loafing and has much more reserve for passing making it (IMHO) a better road machine for longer high speed trips.
I see real world FE of 35 mpg on the XLE-V6 at highway speeds regardless of what its rated at.

Old 05-02-2007, 10:04 AM
RAS
Enthusiast

I have a '95 Camry V6 wagon, and my style of highway driving gives 27 MPG on the highway, best case. I rented an '06 Camry 4-cylinder for several days to see what it would do. With my style of highway driving, I got 32MPG. For an '07 XLE V6 to get 35 MPG doing 80MPH, ther must be some new technologies to improve the mileage. I haven't been keeping up with Toyota technology on their gas-only engines. Can anybody list any design developments over the past few years that would make a dramatic improvement in mileage?

Old 05-02-2007, 10:35 AM
RAS
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RAS
I have a '95 Camry V6 wagon, and my style of highway driving gives 27 MPG on the highway, best case. I rented an '06 Camry 4-cylinder for several days to see what it would do. With my style of highway driving, I got 32MPG. For an '07 XLE V6 to get 35 MPG doing 80MPH, ther must be some new technologies to improve the mileage. I haven't been keeping up with Toyota technology on their gas-only engines. Can anybody list any design developments over the past few years that would make a dramatic improvement in mileage?

I should have hit the "Quote" button. I was trying to reply to the person with the '07 V6 XLE with 35MPG. I thought about it some more, and I think I only got 30 MPG with the '06 I4 Camry, and it might have been an '05. I think I got 32MPG with a Corolla that I rented. I suppose I could rent a Hybrid Camry, if I can find one for rent. They seem pretty scarce around here. Does anybody know of one for rent in the northern Chicago suburbs?

Old 05-02-2007, 05:20 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

First of all there is no way you'll get 35 MPG driving 75-80 from V6 Camry unless you draft behind a semi for the whole trip. Just past weekend I was driving about 250 miles at 70 -80 traffic permitting and I got about 40MPG average, then I got stuck in traffic and end up with 42MPG for the whole tank. In summer you should get 35-37 MPG at those speeds and about 2-4 miles less in cold weather, rain or against strong headwinds. There is a trick to drive hybrid more efficiently and it's very simple: never trail the throttle, either accelerate hard or take it easy on the gas to just maintain the speed. I think Camry has a sweet spot between 55 and 65 MPH where you can easily get 45MPG, something to remember when the gas goes to $4/Gal this summer.

Old 05-02-2007, 06:56 PM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

Originally Posted by Pete4
First of all there is no way you'll get 35 MPG driving 75-80 from V6 Camry unless you draft behind a semi for the whole trip.
You are not correct.

Old 05-02-2007, 07:03 PM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

Originally Posted by pete4
First of all there is no way you'll get 35 MPG driving 75-80 from V6 Camry unless you draft behind a semi for the whole trip.
You are not correct.
I just pulled out the manufacturer's window sticker on my '07 XLE-V6 and it says it should achieve between 26 and 36 mpg on the highway. It further says it should average between 18 and 26 mpg in the city. I guess I am lucky because my experience has been towards the top of the range in both categories. YMMV <grin>
Even @ 75 mph my XLE-V6 in 5th gear is just loafing along at about 1900 RPM. My TCH's FE starts tapering off about the time my XLE-V6 is just getting loosened up. At sub-highway speeds there is no contest the TCH wins by a landslide but on the road the gap narrows immensely and with the reserve power the XLE-V6 has makes XLE-V6 more of a pleasure to drive on highway trips with only a light FE penalty.

Last edited by schmidtj; 05-02-2007 at 07:48 PM.

Quick Reply: Milage When Driving Fast

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands