More Toyota Trickery (Extended Warranty)

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 09:50 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: More Toyota Trickery (Extended Warranty)

KC: Actually, the warranty WAS sold to me as a "Bumper to Bumper" warranty, excluding items that are consumed or worn out. I was adamant about that. They lied to me. They also told me this warranty program was 100% Toyota administered. Another lie. It's a third party shuck-n-jive, just like all the others.

Maybe I've worked in commercial trucking for too long now... but I approve and deny warranty claims all day long for that industry. If a large, critical or structural part that is designed to last the life of the vehicle fails prematurely or in some egregious manner, we cover it, even if it's out of warranty. If the equipment is extraordinarily high-cycle or half way through it's expected service life... we might ask the customer to split the cost. But we would never point to some block of nebulous fine print text and hide behind it.

WEST: My lugs have ALWAYS been hand-tightened, by me, with a calibrated torque wrench. And there hasn't been a puddle near me since March... this started last month. But to expand on your idea for a moment, is it possible that Toyota would sell a car that can't be driven in the rain without destruction of the brakes?

I mean, I know what you are saying, that if I just hauled down from 100mph in 500 feet, then slammed into a puddle with cherry red rotors... yep, that could do it. But that isn't a factor.

The consensus here seems to be that I am somewhat out-of-line with my expectations. I can accept that. I'm just very surprised by it. 10 or 15 years ago, trashed rotors at 36k was pretty rare. Now it looks like folks just change them at every other oil change, and folks seem to be OK with that.

Maybe I'm just too old.

Alright, time to go chase some kids off my lawn... maybe watch Grand Torino again.

Old 09-26-2009, 10:36 AM
Enthusiast

You paid TOO much for the warranty in the first place....

Old 09-26-2009, 12:41 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Unfortunately, the written contract supersedes any verbal assertions on the part of the (possibly misinformed) sales person. I've always thought that extended warranties were third party administered, I'm really sorry you were so misled. I'd call dealer's owner and have a polite conversation about what you were told and more importantly how that might affect your future purchase(s).

Old 09-26-2009, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by haroldo
Unfortunately, the written contract supersedes any verbal assertions on the part of the (possibly misinformed) sales person. I've always thought that extended warranties were third party administered, I'm really sorry you were so misled. I'd call dealer's owner and have a polite conversation about what you were told and more importantly how that might affect your future purchase(s).
The F & I guy sold me the warranty. Once I got past the Sales kid and his TO man... I figured I could trust the guy, at least a little bit.

Yes, I already tried contacting the dealership owner. He is the Elway football guy with the big teeth, Denver Cowboys or whatever, his mug is on every wall and marketing piece there. The closest I could get to a contact was his "fan mail site". The irony of that was too much, so I abandoned that approach.

Old 09-26-2009, 02:47 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Time to flip open the Sam Adams and forget about your rotors and visors.

Old 09-28-2009, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by Regztfen
You paid TOO much for the warranty in the first place....
Thank You.