mp3, ipod or burn cd's for nav interface

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 06:11 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: mp3, ipod or burn cd's for nav interface

Originally Posted by bmgoodman
I wanted to let everyone know that you can use CD-RW discs in your system, at least the non-nav. This means you can make your "mix" CDs to your heart's content, and over/rewrite as often as you wish. Now if it would just play music from DVDs, I'd never have to swaps discs!
I have been waiting for DVD audio support for years. There are VERY few after market units that support it. This is why I have been trying to figure out how to add a after market unit without losing the NAV. I am working out some interesting plans, most of which will probably not come to fruitation...I don't know why DVD audio isn't support. It is pretty sad.

Old 02-28-2007, 06:23 AM
Led-footed HyBrid geek

Originally Posted by mikieboyblue
I have been waiting for DVD audio support for years. There are VERY few after market units that support it. This is why I have been trying to figure out how to add a after market unit without losing the NAV. I am working out some interesting plans, most of which will probably not come to fruitation...I don't know why DVD audio isn't support. It is pretty sad.
Yes. It is sad that we can't play DVD audio. That's why I have settled on using my 30 gig iPod. I can have most of my music/podcasts with me at all times. You can't beat the price for this solution!
Plus the in-dash solutions are not very portable

Old 02-28-2007, 08:00 AM
Active Enthusiast

I got a 30 GB ipod and loaded all of my CDs onto it with the intention of using it in my TCH. I ended up burning mp3 CDs instead. I have the navi and I like the fact that all the album names show up on the screen (but only when the car is stopped). I ripped at 192 kbps and most mp3 cds contain 9 to 10 audio CDs. So going to mp3 turns your 4-CD changer into a 40-CD changer.

I still use my ipod at work and when travelling without my car.

Old 02-28-2007, 08:22 AM
Led-footed HyBrid geek

Originally Posted by chris_h
I got a 30 GB ipod and loaded all of my CDs onto it with the intention of using it in my TCH. I ended up burning mp3 CDs instead. I have the navi and I like the fact that all the album names show up on the screen (but only when the car is stopped). I ripped at 192 kbps and most mp3 cds contain 9 to 10 audio CDs. So going to mp3 turns your 4-CD changer into a 40-CD changer.

I still use my ipod at work and when travelling without my car.
I have the Nav system as well. I would love to find a way to enable the track info when driving. Has anybody heard of a way to enable this on the latest version TCH's Nav system?

Old 02-28-2007, 09:07 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wilsons66604
I have the Nav system as well. I would love to find a way to enable the track info when driving. Has anybody heard of a way to enable this on the latest version TCH's Nav system?
If I understand you right, you are asking for a way to show the folder list and track list even if the vehicle is moving. I understand that rev 5.1 of the nav dvd firmware has some sort of "override" option that tells the firmware "act like the car is stopped" but the rev 6.1 has this override disabled. I have rev 6.1 and have not yet located a rev 5.1 dvd. You may be able to search this forum for threads on the override function.

Old 02-28-2007, 05:22 PM
Active Enthusiast

I think I've found the ultimate way to have my iPod integrated with the car's stereo. In the past (on other cars), I've tried several ways of integrating. I was never happy with anything. All of the expensive interfaces were limited in one way or the other. There was nothing that gave me the control that I wanted.

The solution was cheap and easy. (No need to tear apart the dash either)
AND I have use of the great iPod interface!

The Belkin Auto Kit.
http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...duct_ID=193794

and to give the iPod a great place to sit, the Belkin TuneDok
http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...duct_Id=193778
I'm using the same solution, 'cept my Auto Kit & TuneDok are white. I keep the TuneDok in the beverage holder closest to the dashboard. I listen to audible books. Works great.

Old 02-28-2007, 06:55 PM

You know, I've read a lot about people not happy with the fact that you cannot see the ID3/CDDB info when you are moving. I personally find this stupid. Honestly, I understand the logic, but I do not know of ONE after market deck that has this restriction. And this is the only car I have read complaints about (although it probably affects most Toyota NAVs). I do NOT like the fact that Toyota feels the need to tell me how to drive. Pretty soon I expect to see cellular phone signal blockers in the car's frame to keep us from ever using the phone.

Sorry for the rant...

Old 03-01-2007, 05:45 AM
Led-footed HyBrid geek

You know, I've read a lot about people not happy with the fact that you cannot see the ID3/CDDB info when you are moving. I personally find this stupid. Honestly, I understand the logic, but I do not know of ONE after market deck that has this restriction. And this is the only car I have read complaints about (although it probably affects most Toyota NAVs). I do NOT like the fact that Toyota feels the need to tell me how to drive. Pretty soon I expect to see cellular phone signal blockers in the car's frame to keep us from ever using the phone.

Sorry for the rant...
Whatever the logic is, it isn't consistent. The XM Radio displays info while I'm moving.

I hope someone can find the 'easter egg' for 6.1 that will allow us to display everything while moving.

Old 03-01-2007, 07:32 PM

Whatever the logic is, it isn't consistent. The XM Radio displays info while I'm moving.

I hope someone can find the 'easter egg' for 6.1 that will allow us to display everything while moving.
As soon as I get mine I'll start looking around the software. Can't promise anything.

Old 03-13-2007, 10:45 AM
Led-footed HyBrid geek

As soon as I get mine I'll start looking around the software. Can't promise anything.
I am very happy now!!!
I was able to get a Nav DVD created with the OverRide fix applied. This OverRide not only allows for navigation changes while driving....
The MP3 tags on an MP3 cd continue to display while I'm driving!!!!

Quick Reply: mp3, ipod or burn cd's for nav interface

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands