MPG increase since switching to synthetic oil

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 04:25 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: MPG increase since switching to synthetic oil

Quick question about Amsoil oil. I heard true synthetic oils (actually made from parafins) can't be mixed with regular oils. Is Amsoil Oil true blue synthetic oil or is just called that way, like many others, Mobil1 including and can be mixed with normal oil?

Old 10-04-2006, 05:29 PM
Enthusiast

It's the late 2000's and you've just started selling cars in the USA. These engines have a long history of running hundreds of thousands of miles. You start replacing engines under warranty between 40,000 and 60,000 miles - rings are stuck, power is down, wear is up. It's costing big money! The US petroleum oil is not good enough! Quick! A TSB! 5W-30 synthetic that meets 505.00! Oops - new TSB - it's got to be a synthetic that meets 505.00.

(Watch, shaking, as CNN announces that Benz was hit with a $32 million class-action lawsuit in the US, with another to follow in Canada, because they didn't properly notify owners that the oil life recommendations were based on synthetic oil...)

Old 10-05-2006, 06:48 PM
Enthusiast

Pete, Amsoil is 100% synthetic and it will mix with regular oil although this would dimenish the benefits of using synthetic oil.

Originally Posted by Pete4
Quick question about Amsoil oil. I heard true synthetic oils (actually made from parafins) can't be mixed with regular oils. Is Amsoil Oil true blue synthetic oil or is just called that way, like many others, Mobil1 including and can be mixed with normal oil?

Old 10-05-2006, 06:50 PM
Enthusiast

Hey Steve,
I will let you know, but it will take a little time as I only have 200 miles right now.
Thanks Dave

Old 10-06-2006, 02:37 PM
WVGasGuy

WOW, I guess I'm lucky to have driven close to 2,000,000 miles and never had an oil related failure using "regular" oil.

Old 10-07-2006, 10:05 AM
Enthusiast

That's nice!
Originally Posted by WVGasGuy
WOW, I guess I'm lucky to have driven close to 2,000,000 miles and never had an oil related failure using "regular" oil.

Old 10-07-2006, 01:03 PM
Active Enthusiast

I had my first oil change yesterday and the dealer put in synthetic. I didn't have to suggest it or beg for it as it appears some have had to do; they put it in because that is what is recommended for the car. However they did charge me $20 extra for it. Is that typical? Why does it cost more?

I'm anxious to see if my mileage goes up. I was averaging about 37.5 mpg; I'm in lots of stop n go traffic and I use my AC all the time (eco mode). I'm also pretty careful about maximizing fuel economy.

Old 10-07-2006, 01:31 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Synthetic oil is more expensive, probably more than $5-$6 a quart. Dealer gave me first oil change for free, I'm surprised you didn't get first one for free also as a form of advertising for future service, especially that most TCH sell for MSRP, so it's not like a dealer is giving it at cost.

Old 10-07-2006, 05:19 PM
Active Enthusiast

Here are a couple of somewhat conflicting items from Consumers Reports with references to synthetic oil use. Seems you should use it if you have a sludge prone engine, otherwise save your money unless of course it's specified by the car manufacturer. Has anyone ever heard of sludge problems with the TCH engine?

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/c...view/index.htm

QUOTE:- CR MAINTENANCE SUGGESTIONS

Service your car on schedule to help prevent costly problems later on.

Shop around for quotes on routine maintenance. Prices can vary significantly.

Make it clear to the dealer that you want only those maintenance services performed that are listed in the owner’s manual. Many dealerships create their own recommended maintenance schedules for new vehicles, which are often larded with unnecessary and expensive work.

Keep tires correctly inflated and rotated on schedule to avoid premature wear.

Change oil only at the vehicle manufacturer’s recommended intervals. Lube shops often push more frequent service.

Don’t spend extra money on synthetic oil unless your car calls for it.

Consider doing simple procedures yourself, such as changing oil and coolant.

When you wash your car, clean the rubber wiper blades. They’ll last longer.

Don’t pay extra for premium gas if your car calls for regular.

REPAIR

Have your vehicle looked at as soon as you notice a strange noise or small change in its operation.

Get a quote before any service work is done.

Consider having simple procedures done by an independent repair shop,
which may be cheaper.

Keep records of repairs. Such proof may help you get more money for your vehicle when you sell it.

Originally Posted by Az Desert Sand
That's nice!

Old 10-07-2006, 05:53 PM
Active Enthusiast

Just found this on the Tundrasolutions website, relating to a TCH service bulletin. is this synthetic oil?

"EG018-06 ILSAC GF-4 ENGINE OIL RECOMMENDATION

3/29/2006 - 2006 – 2007 model year Toyota and Scion vehicles.

Toyota Motor Corporation manufacturing plants have begun using ILSAC GF–4 engine oil. This engine oil is recommended due to its superiority in terms of fuel economy and engine protection and due to its benefits for both the customer and the environment. ILSAC GF–4 can be used in all Toyota and Scion engines."

[QUOTE=Pete4]Synthetic oil is more expensive, probably more than $5-$6 a quart. Dealer gave me first oil change for free, I'm surprised you didn't get first one for free also as a form of advertising for future service, especially that most TCH sell for MSRP, so it's not like a dealer is giving it at cost.[/QUOTE]

Quick Reply: MPG increase since switching to synthetic oil

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands