Need help with mileage, Please!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 09:52 AM
Enthusiast
Exclamation Need help with mileage, Please!!!

I purchased a TCH in May and have driven 1,500 miles and the "best" mileage that I've been able to achieve is 34.2 mpg. This just doesn't come close to the EPA mpg numbers. I took the car to my dealer and they took it for a drive connected to a computer and confirmed that the car was getting 34 mpg and they said that there wasn't anything that they could do to improve the mileage. There appear to be a large number of TCH owners that are getting close to 40 mpg on a regular basis. I'm dirving the car normally and not lead footing the accelerator. Can anyone advise me on what I might be able to do to improve my mileage? Do you think that I should try another Toyota dealer? Thank you.

Old 06-09-2007, 10:19 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Need help with mileage, Please!!!

Welcome to GreenHybrid: the land of plenty! There are many folks here with all sorts of empirical data that can substantiate these points:

1. At 1500 miles, I bet your TCH isn’t fully broken in yet. I believe your mileage will go up as the parts smooth out and you get better at driving the car.
2. Inflate your tires more than the dealer. I personally think 36 to 38 PSI results in good mileage without making the ride hard, and it’s still well within the listed range on the tires.
3. Get the car to your desired speed, plus 5 MPH, the immediately take your foot off the gas. In other words, if you want to go 35 MPH, get your car to 40 and then coast down to 35. This is known as pulse and glide. It’s marvelous for you, not so great for your fellow travelers (don’t tick off drivers around you.)
4. Keep the AC in ECO mode.

You can also search this forum for dozens of other great ideas. Take care, have fun, be safe.

Old 06-09-2007, 11:22 AM
HypoFueler

You may not be a lead foot, but if you are spending a lot of time cruising above 60-65mph, then I bet wind is also dragging down your FE.

Old 06-09-2007, 05:03 PM
Active Enthusiast

Are your average trips under 15mins?

Old 06-09-2007, 05:27 PM
tjq
Active Enthusiast

Lot depends on your average terrain and commuting time. TCH has to be warmed up and driven to use all its capabilities. Lot of hills, it will use ICE.

Have over 1600 on mine since May 7. First tank, 36.1, second 35.0. Next tank all local driving with stop and go and a lot of hills close to mile long with up to 8% grade, 275 miles, no highway and 30.6 mpg. This tank so far 275 miles and 39.6 mpg with over 100 mile on highways. Just to give an idea on various driving conditions and how they affect the mpg's. All my mpg's were taken from the MFD, not calculated.

Satisfied ownere here. Hope like told the TCH will improve after breaking in.

Old 06-10-2007, 06:27 AM
Enthusiast

I'm still on my first tank after 8 days and ~450 miles...about 100 miles of cruising range left. My first tank avg (computer estimated) is running at 38.8mpg. I've learned a lot in the first week of heavy commuting but the single biggest factor I think is to release pressure on the gas pedal after reaching your desired speed (as mentioned many times). It really is amazing. After a stop, get up to the speed limit with the ICE fairly quickly (not punching it but not babying it either), then let up very slightly on the pas pedal and watching your real time mpg gauge drop to 40+. If you're on level road the car will maintain the desired speed (give or take 3-4mph) and your mpg climbs. Watch for the blue glow around the gauges!

Old 06-10-2007, 07:02 AM
tjq
Active Enthusiast

Ahh, the blue glow rings getting brighter. The eco mfd getting to the third step. Then shutting down and seeing "excellent" and over 40 mpg's. Great huh?

tjq

Old 06-10-2007, 02:27 PM
lzc
Active Enthusiast

mjsdas, you don't say what kind of driving you do, or under what conditions. There's a world of difference, as someone else said, between driving in Manhatton, NY, and Manhatton, Kansas.

Your driving circumstances just may not be ideal for high mileage. For my own experience, a rural road where the natural speed is 35-50 mph will produce outstanding mileage results.

The new combined EPA mileage estimate for the TCH is . . . . . . 34 mpg! So, your experience is not that out of whack.

Old 06-11-2007, 07:34 AM
Dazed and Confused

Where did he go?

First post about low mileage, and no reply back yet.

Too early to tell, buy smells like a troll.

Old 06-11-2007, 08:47 AM
Enthusiast

I've had my TCH for over a year now and my gas milege has varied throughout that time. My best has been a full tank at 40+mpg. During the winter months (I live in NY metro area) the mileage was down to about 35mpg. of the other posts talk about driving terrain and driving habits and this also contributes to the FE.

I have found that I use my cruise control almost all of the time, even if I'm driving in local traffic. I ususally set cruise at 40 and engage and dis-engage the CC. This is the way I control my speed. I also leave a good distance between the car in front of me and myself.

On the hightway I ususally set my CC at 60. It get's me there just as fast as 65 or 70 mph.

Using this method, I find it get's me anywhere between 37 to 40 mpg during the summer months.

Good luck with all of this advice

Last edited by usahelmut; 06-11-2007 at 08:49 AM.

Quick Reply: Need help with mileage, Please!!!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands