New Hybrid Owner: things in need to know?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 01:04 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: New Hybrid Owner: things in need to know?

My tank avg is 30.9 I've gone 241 mikes since I bought the thing is this right?

Old 08-24-2010, 02:34 PM
Enthusiast

As somewhat mentioned above , it takes 4-6 miles for the synergy system to "warm up" and provide the 40's. If you drive short distances (under this 5+- mins) your MPG will be less than longer commutes...

Old 08-24-2010, 05:43 PM
Enthusiast

i have been driving 20 miles here 10 miles there....is guess the more miles i drive highway the better off ill be.

Old 08-25-2010, 12:59 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

If you're goal is to save money or not use gas, then just cut down on nonessential driving, take the bus, carpool or ride a bike.
Enjoy the car and don't worry about the mileage you'll get. At the end of the day, It really doesn't matter, does it?

To answer your question, the best MPG is derived from driving long distances at an average speed of about 50 -55 MPH, down a mountain, with the wind at your back, with no luggage, with overinflated tires, with zero weight oil, with the windows shut, with the ECO button on... There are a ton of factors, just enjoy the road and don't worry about the mileage, the Leaf, Volt and Tesla will blow away anything you'll be able to achieve (so will the LIRR).

Old 08-25-2010, 06:52 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by haroldo
If you're goal is to save money or not use gas, then just cut down on nonessential driving, take the bus, carpool or ride a bike.
Enjoy the car and don't worry about the mileage you'll get. At the end of the day, It really doesn't matter, does it?

To answer your question, the best MPG is derived from driving long distances at an average speed of about 50 -55 MPH, down a mountain, with the wind at your back, with no luggage, with overinflated tires, with zero weight oil, with the windows shut, with the ECO button on... There are a ton of factors, just enjoy the road and don't worry about the mileage, the Leaf, Volt and Tesla will blow away anything you'll be able to achieve (so will the LIRR).

LOL @ your answer (even though it's so true!) I'm taking a 5K roadtrip next month. I plan to do the speed limit (or a little above). I'll report back on what type of mileage I get for anybody that cares!

Old 08-25-2010, 09:37 AM
Enthusiast

you are so right i guess im just a little excited about putting some numbers on the board

Old 08-26-2010, 02:59 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Cwjordan
i have been driving 20 miles here 10 miles there....is guess the more miles i drive highway the better off ill be.
These short trips is how I started to break my new '07 TCH in. You may not see your best mpg till you get 4000 to 8000 miles on your car. You might consider changing to the 0W/20 synthetic oil on your first 5000 mile oil change. That should give you near a 2 mpg boost in mileage once it's broke in.

I live in the southern new mexico desert. We run 100 and higher some summers. I take my wife shopping at the mall. We come out to get in the hot to touch TCH. I have her open her car doors and I open mine. A little breeze helps cool the interior some before we get in and drive off. I also open all the windows and drive slowly across the parking lot, also helps cool the car. I do turn on the AC (75 to 79 degrees) to low fan and recirculate. Before pulling out on the main drag, I close all windows and kick the fan speed up to 2 or 3 bars. That AC cools the cabin rather quickly.

Enjoy your new ride, it's a better car than you might think, mine was..

Last edited by rburt07; 08-26-2010 at 03:04 AM.
Old 08-27-2010, 05:38 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Cwjordan
you are so right i guess im just a little excited about putting some numbers on the board

I have to add that before (when my office was 7 miles away) I would never get above 33mpg (tank average). That was on a good week. Now that my office is 25 miles away I've noticed that my ECO drive meter gets over the 40mpg mark, and my tank average is around 37 now. So being able to drive a little longer has improved my average. Although technically I'm burning more gas now because I'm doing 50 miles a day instead of 14. Awww screw it, we just can't win, LOL!

Old 08-28-2010, 08:10 AM
Active Enthusiast

One other thing you will learn, if you haven't already; you will find yourself saying "why didn't I get one of these sooner?"

Seriously, though, on the drive to Texas from Florida, on real gas, my car got around 40-42 MPG. Cross the Texas border, just as summer was hitting the peak temps, and all east Texas counties now have 10% ethanol in all grades, and the best I can do is 34-36. Some tanks I have gone down to 31.

When I drive to Branson this fall, get out of Texas heat and ethanol gas, I expect my mileage will peak around 42, hopefully up to as high as 45.

Joe