New rear end

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2006, 11:24 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default New rear end

So I spent a lot of time on the car this holiday weekend.

1) Installed factory rear lip spoiler. Pretty simple to do, but all I can advise is to GO VERY SLOWLY! I rushed drilling one hole, and the drill slipped and put a long scratch down the rear deck about 1/2" past where the spoiler covers. I've already called PaintScratch and they have my paint pen on the way. But the car looks so much better with the spoiler IMHO.

2) Installed rear bumper applique. The factory instructions suck, this was so much easier to install by using common sense. Luckily, I was able to remove the applique after the first attempt, and get it right the second time using my way.

3) Moved the hybrid badge from lower right of trunk to the top right edge, so it would be opposite the "Camry" badge. I have a thing about symmetry, and I hated having the top-right edge of the trunk empty. I couldn't find 3M automotive tape, but they had this 3M emblem glue, which turned out to be super-glue. I hope I can remove the emblem again if I want to, I'm worried that this emblem glue might be permanent.

4) Lastly, installed the front bumper license bracket. Looks so much better than a flimsy dealer plate, although I really wish my dealer had not drilled the two holes in the first place. I don't understand why this is an optional accessory for the TCH, when it's a standard part on the other Camry trims?

So what do you think so far? Next up will be 18" or 19" wheels, and then an SE-style body kit including foglights.

Old 09-04-2006, 05:40 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: New rear end

I was told by the dealer that there is no front license plate bracket available for any of the 07 camry's. I have yet to put the plate on the front because of this, did not want the plate mounting directly to the painted bumper. Is your bracket a dealer item?

Old 09-04-2006, 08:05 AM
Active Enthusiast

The bracket does exist. Even though we did not get one with our TCH, there was one in the trunk of a 07 Camry I rented a couple of weeks ago, and it looked like it was from the factory. Fortunately, I live in a state with rear plates only, and our dealer did not drill the front bumper to install an advertisement there (I instructed them NOT to, but you never know).

Old 09-04-2006, 08:31 AM
Enthusiast

I will have to call the dealer again and ask about this. You would think in states that require a front plate that the bracket would be installed.

Old 09-04-2006, 12:10 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Yes, the bracket is an official Toyota factory accessory. However, do not buy the bracket from the dealer. The dealer price on this optional accessory is something like $25 +tax. I paid $10 + $6 shipping on EBay and received the item in less than a week. You will find many people with Camry's selling their brackets since they have no intention of using them. Remember, every non-TCH Camry came with one.

Old 09-04-2006, 12:35 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ghgard
I will have to call the dealer again and ask about this. You would think in states that require a front plate that the bracket would be installed.
I agree.

This is a long post (just to give y'all ammunition for a front license plate frame).

On 17 July, I ordered myTCH. It was delivered and picked up on the 18th of August. As with any new toy, except for looking to make sure it had four tires and gas, I didn't do an in-depth check of the car. I did notice that the front plate hadn't been installed (live in VA, a two-plate state), and asked the salesman to install the plate.

The next few days I spent reading the manuals (I know, I'm strange in that I read these things,).

A few days later, I started to look at the PDS (Pre-Delivery Service) Check Sheet that I got off the internet. The next to last item stated "Install front license plate mounting bracket and front license plate." Since I had the SALESMAN install the plate, I knew this wasn't done during PDS. Also, I didn't remember seeing a bracket, so I went out to my car and -- surprise -- no bracket.

Did more looking and there was no oil change sticker on windshield, but it was on the PDS sheet just 2 lines above the front bracket item.

Next day, I returned to service and asked if they performed the PDS -- of course, they said that they had. I pointed out the lack of oil change sticker AND no bracket. The response: None for the sticker, BUT the bracket: I doesn't come with the TCH, it's optional, and the PDS sheet was generic. Wrong answer about generic: On EVERY page it says Toyota Camry HV. He still stood by the lien that it was optional, but if I wanted to purchase it, he would install it for FREE. (Gee, thanks).

I told the service manager that I had purchased the extra paint protection plan, and that since the bare license plate was actually touching the bumber paint and was not completely flush with the bumper, the it was rubbing against the paint and scratching it, therefore he could expect to see plenty of claims concerning fixing the damage.

Next day, I called salesman and asked him about getting a bracket. He gave the same story that it was optional. I asked how can it be optional IF a front plate is required in VA and it was needed to protect the paint? He couldn't answer that. I told him that EVERY car I had ever purchased had a bracket (even in one-tag states). Everything from FIAT 128 (don't laugh) to a Cadillac Sedan DeVille.

After paying over 30K for the car (plus extras), I didn't see why they couldn't through in the bracket.

His response was that it wasn't going to happen. I asked to talk to the manager(s). They were too busy in a meeting to be able to talk with me.

Now, for the finale: The service manager did install the bracket (at no charge).

Suggestion: Although it is only ~ $15, fight for this. Can you imagine being told that the equipment to meet CA's more strigent emission standards was optional, but it is required to register the car in CA. (Granted, it's a stretch, but I view it as the same.)

Old 09-04-2006, 01:22 PM
Enthusiast

I just checked eBay and there were none currently listed, I will keep an eye out for them. I may call the dealer and ask where my bracket is and see what story I am told. I had to fight very hard just to get free all-weather mats included. Thanks for the info.

Old 09-04-2006, 02:33 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I live in VA and thought the same as you; however, I looked closely at the tech sheet on the front bracket and saw it said it was an optional accessory. So, I bought it and my dealer installed it free. Yes, for $25K+, the bracket should have been included.

Old 09-04-2006, 06:07 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bmgoodman
I live in VA and thought the same as you; however, I looked closely at the tech sheet on the front bracket and saw it said it was an optional accessory. So, I bought it and my dealer installed it free. Yes, for $25K+, the bracket should have been included.
Let's see, this started off as a "New Rear-End" thread, now we're talking about the extreme front-end of the car?

One last input (from me) concerning the front license plate bracket, I just did more looking, the PDS check-sheet (PD024-06) is where it says to install the bracket. It then refers to PD017-06, which says at the intro:
6/19/2006 - 2007 model year Toyota Camry HV vehicles.

The front license plate mounting bracket and 2 self–tapping screws are stored in the luggage compartment of the vehicle. For states that require a front license plate, install the bracket and bolts on the bumper cover during Pre–Delivery Service (PDS) according to the following procedure.

The bolding and italics are were added by me, but the wording is original. Reading this, it sure looks as if the bracket is delivered in the trunk and installed as needed. If it isn't needed, it should stal in the car for future use in case you move to a dual-tag state.

This intro was read from the TundraSolutions.com site. I don't have a subscrition, yet, so I couldn't open the full document.

bmgoodman, you said you found in a tech sheet that the bracket was optional. I guess I can't find it because, quite frankly, I don't WANT to find it.

Old 09-04-2006, 08:56 PM
Active Enthusiast

Oh hell, mine is a VA car too and its just flat out there...no bracket. Just drilled in. Not ideal but it works and looks fine. Oh well.

Quick Reply: New rear end

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands